1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Venezuela Protests

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by robbie380, Jan 22, 2019.

1. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

2. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

I missed this one.

3. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Another American led coup in South America . As is tradition.

ryan_98, glynch and Nook like this.
  4. HTM

HTM Member

Regime change is difficult. I fear Venezuela might be trading one dictator for the next.

Obviously, I and everyone else would love to see a free representative government take shape but it rarely seems to go that way.

5. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

This has the feel of a violent riot not an organized military coup.

6. Nook

Nook Member

Chavez replaces one dictatorship with another one. Nothing is going to change in Venezuela anytime soon. All that will happen is another special interest group will replace the group already in power.... two sides of the same coin.

It is also why we should stay out of it.

7. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Looks like this is it. If the military and/or the public don't turn out for Guaido, I imagine he'll be arrested and Maduro will solidify his control.

8. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

That's impossible. I was specifically told Trump is a Russian Bot. Why would he overthrow Russian-loved Maduro?

cml750 likes this.
  9. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

This may be a sign of desperation by Guido as from the sources I read for some balance outside the NYT to Fox consensus, Guido's support withinin Venezuela has been stagnating and not growing as Rubio, Bolton, Trump and others had hoped for. Part of this is his right wing faction is often essentially calling for a US invasion and has not much of a plan except Maduro must go and a return to the old neoliberal days before Chavez that a lot of folks still remember not too fondly.

Leopoldo Lopez, the guy who they released from house arrest today has been involved in coup attempts and violent deadly demonstrations against the Chavistas since 2002. He was actively involved in the one in 2002 in which Chavez was seized for about two days with US support ,who then had the embarassment of immediately proclaimimg one of the coup leaders as the legitimate head of government, only to have Chavez released by popular demand and the vast majority of the military who were supporting him.

Leopoldo Lopez is from one of the handful richest oligarchic families is long time mentor of the new guy Guido. In the US Lopez would have spent the last 20 plus years probably incommunicado in a supermax prison.

Uruguay, Mexico and some of the European countries who did not immediately jump in with Trump, and Rubio tosupport Guido self claim to be president have been attempting to mediate between the two factions to possibly have new elections or some sort of accord. However, naturally Maduro does not want to do this and Trump/Guido folks who have in the past not wanted the more moderate opposition to even participate in the last election are hoping for total victory for their guy Guido.

At this point I always like to point out that the Carter Center and objective sources found Chavez legitimately and democratically won something like his first 6 elections, much to the chagrin of the oft repeated NYT- Fox bi-partisan consensus. I do find it amazing that after Iraq, and the forever war in Afghanistan that such faith is put in this consensus

10. HTM

HTM Member

When I was out and about earlier I saw a large number of Venezuelan protesters at the corner of Westheimer and Fountain View. I presume they were Guaido supporters.

Not sure why that intersection was chosen to demonstrate.. anyone have any ideas?

11. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

12. JuanValdez

Maduro isn't Chavez. He can't keep riding on the laurels of his predecessor. I remember a Mexican history professor had made the observation to me that most dictatorships, coups, revolutions, etc, fail after the second generation of leader. She was talking about the apparent legitimacy of the PRI government in Mexico which managed to have more generations of leaders than that. But I see what she means in many governments, including Venezuela's -- the first guy wins because he has the support of the people, but when he passes the torch to the next guy who can't sustain it by the force of his personality, the institutions aren't built to make it a machine and the government fails. Chavez had the people; Maduro isn't the man Chavez was. Maybe it won't be today, but Maduro will be the last leader of the Chavez government.

Because it's a busy intersection?

13. HTM

HTM Member

Yea, perhaps, I have no idea if there is some establishment there of some significance (Embassy/consulate etc..) or if that part of town is known for it's Venezuelan community or something.

14. JuanValdez

Thank god they don't have guns. Guns would make this situation a disaster.

15. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I don't think this one will be successful. Unfortunately.

16. JuanValdez

Googled it. The Consulate is a half-mile north of there on Fountainview.

17. Cohete Rojo

They protested outside the Citgo office on Eldridge a few years ago.

18. Cohete Rojo

These people being attacked by their government are not members of a suicide bombing organization.

They are no different than the Yellow Vest protestors. Regime change needs to happen in both places.

19. TheresTheDagger

I know the consulates of some countries are in the Galleria area. Not sure about Venezuela though.

20. Major

Major Member

You do repeatedly point that out. And it's been repeatedly pointed out to you that this is not correct and not what the Carter Center has said. All this is is evidence that you continually repeat lies without any concern for accuracy. It's another example of the glynch-Trump similarities.