1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Vegan/vegetarian restaurants in Houston

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Batman Jones, Feb 19, 2011.

1. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Batman Jones I bet you eat mink coats.

2. Voice of Reason

Can't wait to try Azteca. Have passed it many times and never thought that they would have vegan options. Love Mexican food, but don't usually eat at Mexican restaurants because they don't have many choices for me. The only time I really have a nice Mexican meal is at Mr. Naturals in Austin.

I am usually leery of Vietnamese restaurants. For example, some of them will have vegetarian soup. That means that there is no meat in the soup, just vegetables. However, a lot of them will use chicken for the broth.

3. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

Blue Nile Ethiopian Cuisine is top notch. Most of their options are very low fat and healthy. Almost half their menu is vegetarian.

Madras Pavillion
    Udipi Cafe

4. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Madras Pavillion aint what it used to be.

5. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

Which location?

6. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

I would suggest that you don't. Fadi's quality is much better.

House of Kabob makes a mean falafel sandwich..

7. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

The one on Kirby.

8. thadeus

thadeus Contributing Member

Aborted fetus.

9. Fatty FatBastard

Uh, nope. But a troll comment, nonetheless. You really need to recognize that you behave this way consistently these days, especially because this comment reeks of hypocrisy. Go smoke it off, I suppose. BTW, do you realize how much that stuff carries with you everytime you walk into a room? I do.

I've been raving about the falafel's at Zabak's (formerly Mama's Po Boy) for years.

Robb Walsh listed them as one of the top things to eat in Houston. I even talked to him about them at a cooking class I attended last month.

Pretty sure they are vegan, and if they aren't I'm sure they can make them so.

http://blogs.houstonpress.com/eating/2010/06/robb_walshs_100_favorite_houst_76.php

[​IMG]

#29 Fatty FatBastard, Feb 19, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2011
  10. KingCheetah

Why do you always have to be so hurtful?

1 person likes this.
  11. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

They do have a vegan menu at Azteca with a lot of options, but none compare to Mr. Natural (I have driven to Austin just to eat there). Even so, I really appreciate it. Hugo's, which is a fine dining Mexican place, also has a vegan menu, but fewer options. I've had good and bad experiences there. But the good experiences have been very good.

Speaking of good fine dining experiences, nobody has mentioned T'Afia, which always has plenty of delicious, gourmet vegan options.

As for Vietnamese restaurants, I feel you. The vermicelli tofu w/vegetables at Van Loc is definitely safe though (get soy sauce instead of fish sauce), as are the tofu sandwiches at Les Givral (make sure to say no mayo - you won't miss it) - very tasty. Also re: Vietnamese places, not to kick a restaurant when it's down, but NEVER trust Mai's. They are instructed by the owner to lie about the ingredients and two different waiters tipped me off to that fact before I stopped going.

12. Batman Jones

Thanks. I'll check them out, though I'll do so in spite of and not because of Robb Walsh's recommendation. He is an ass when it comes to vegetarian food.

13. Fatty FatBastard

So am I. Which is why it must be really good if both of us mention it.

My sister in law is a vegetarian and she loves them.

14. Batman Jones

I disagree with the logic of that statement. That presumes that meat eaters are better at judging good vegetarian food than vegetarians are, which I've found is really never the case. But I will check them out. Thanks for the recommendation.

15. KingCheetah

Vegans are some of the most violent members of our society.

16. Fatty FatBastard

Actually, it means that we have no barriers on what we eat, so when we choose a vegetarian meal, it is because it is good, not because it is healthy. The fact that it is healthy is just a bonus.

I love me an good iceberg wedge as well, meat be damned. I'd recommend where to get a good one of those, but it isn't vegan.

Let me know what you think. IIRC, finalsbound liked it.

1 person likes this.
  17. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

Is this the same as The Hobbit Hole where I used to eat with my GF back in 1970-72? Is it on North Shepherd or some place like that?

18. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I don't know if it is, but back then it was great and I ate there all the time. There was a little natural foods store upstairs. I probably heard you arguing with all and sundry on more than one occasion while there, I'm sure. ;-)-

19. Voice of Reason

The Hobbit Hole was on Shepherd and moved to Richmond around 10 years ago. Back in the 70's it was almost exclusively a vegetarian restaurant. Now its around 35% vegetarian.

20. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

Nah, my arguments are discussions actually. No voices need be raised. You would not have noticed.