1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Vegan/Vegetarian Refrigerators?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by slcrocket, Oct 15, 2012.

1. slcrocket

slcrocket Contributing Member

So I was thinking about this the other day...we are in contract to close on our first home within the next month or so (hopefully), at which point I will be on the market for a refrigerator (among other things). My son has a rare metabolic disorder called PKU which essentially DRASTICALLY limits the amount of protein that he eats - he has a specialized formula that he will be on for the remainder of his life, and will supplement that by carefully measured amounts of other foods, primarily fruits and (to a lesser extent) vegetables.

My wife and I have decided that, although we won't be following the same kind of diet that he is, we want to make the shift to eating much more vegetarian/vegan (with meat/animal products on occasion). So all of this got me thinking, do they have specialized refrigerators for people who are using theirs primarily for produce? I would think that with the recent vegan/vegetarian craze in the past ten years, this is a market that will often pay more than they should for such products (and I am apparently in that niche). But a quick Google search yielded me nothing, hence I come to the altar of Clutchfans. Any ideas?

2. nickb492

nickb492 Contributing Member

I think I know what you're looking for.

[​IMG]

+

[​IMG]

3. BigBird

BigBird Contributing Member

AS long as it's refrigerated your food will be fine. If you're looking for some more info about vegetarian eating/where to get food you might give this website a look http://www.rawfullyorganic.com/ my family and I have been getting our organic produce from the co op every couple of weeks. Very high quality produce and you get a lot. Also, we have begun juicing vegetables and fruits in a juicer we just got. Watched a documentary and it inspired us to start eating healthier and juicing is a great way to do that as you get micronutrients from it. I can give you more info about juicing, just let me know. But overall to answer your question, there are some fruits and vegetables that should be left out of the fridge (i.e. onions, potatoes, beats, etc.) and some that should be left in (soft fruits like strawberries), but the fridge you have doesn't matter, as long as it works.

4. DAROckets

DAROckets Contributing Member

I think he is just referring to the huge amounts of room that vegetable's and fruits can take up in your fridge ?

What you should do is build yourself a small walk in cooler.It's really easy and inexpensive.. Just need a small area,maybe a pantry or closet near the kitchen,garage ? A window unit and a device called a cool-bot,some insulation sheets.

This guy in this video built his for $300.

Search "cool-bot" or "home made walk in cooler" on you tube and there are many examples.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/QIxLw9t1IuA?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

#4 DAROckets, Oct 16, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2012