1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Vecsey: Rockets among teams interested in Michael Redd

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Feb 24, 2005.

1. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I'm sorry I don't know how to post a link but the Boston Herald is reporting that the Celtics want to move Jiri Welsch. He isn't a point but is a combo guard who can pass and wouldn't be expensive or old either.

2. Mav-Hater

Mav-Hater Contributing Member

i would like to see MoT go to Portland for DA on the coat-tails of the SAR exit and GP coming in for the TE. While we are trading head-aches on the one side, it does give us an outside option who can penetrate if T-Mac plays the point. To be honest, that is why the posibility of Redd exites me. Double Yao, leave TM, Redd, or DW alone for a three. Double Tracy, same problem only now the inside is open. The only person you would think of leaving alone would be Howard. It would present much the same problem opponents had defending Akeem's Rockets. Leave KS, VM, or RH and get bombed from outside. Leave OT alone, get bludgeoned inside. Agreeing with Clutch that Redd must be a PV mistake, Anderson would be a very poor man's Redd, and considering what we have to offer, poor is better than the 2 month old case of the flu. GP has more gas in the tank than our current set (excluding Sura) and would get Tracy off the ball plus i think you see an excited GP to be around a winner and have a shot again. The problem here comes up to the question of do you include the 1st Ainge wants with any exception/GP deal and straight up, i say no. if you could gaurantee it would be a bottom 8 pick, and we have shaken off the flu bug, i then lean toward yes.

3. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

Clipboard the url and paste it into your post. That way your info is more accurate especially since what you're stating in your post appears to be very dated...

Boston Herald
    Feb. 14, 2005

Considering Danny Ainge's track record and the fact he has more talent now to use as currency in the marketplace, it's more than likely the Celtics will make a deal or two by the NBA trade deadline 10 days from now.

The problem he may encounter is that some people with decent talent have been getting pushed to the side a bit. For example, will other teams think Jiri Welsch is worth less because Tony Allen has replaced him in the starting lineup?

"That's a tough part of the business, but you can't worry too much about that," Ainge said. "I just think I respect people in our business a little more than that."

http://cbs.sportsline.com/nba/story/8195416

4. Mav-Hater

Welsh is intriging? if Ainge wants a first for GP, what does he want for Welsch?

5. foodworld

foodworld Member

I don't think the Bucks are willing to dump Redd for $.50 on the dollar, even if they dump KVH and his max contract to get the cap space a year early - and even if Redd specifically demanded a trade to Houston. But you never know.

Getting off topic here... as someone who has watched all of Jiri Welsch's games this season, I really don't think he has the skills to play point guard in the NBA. His dribbling is lousy, and while he moves well without the ball, when it's in his hands he usually makes poor decisions, i.e. driving to the hoop against four defenders, or settling for a three in transition. His defense is good for a euro, but he's not nearly quick enough to guard guys like Tony Parker and Dwayne Wade. He might thrive in Houston, but not as a point guard.

6. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

can't see why the hornets want dunleavy. they've already got Boki!

7. Mav-Hater

Maybe they saw the Laker series and want Boki to play the 4.

8. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

I don't see the possibility; we would have to offer 3 #1's just to be in "contention."

But it's a great dream:

1. Sura, Wesley
    2. Redd, Barry
    3. T-Mac, Bowen
    4. Juwan, Padgett
    5. Yao, Deke

9. Relativist

Relativist Contributing Member

Well, heck. After the Webber trade, I could see anything happening.

10. pariah

pariah Contributing Member

In a related story:

Pariah is one of the men interested in Teri Hatcher.

11. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

I have no idea how the Rockets could possibly be in the running for Redd, but were it to happen I'd be beyond ecstatic. Our team would be insane. Sign a solid ball handling and decent shooting point guard in the off season and they might as well hand us the next 5 or so championship trophies in advance.

12. superden

superden Contributing Member

there we go, dreamig away before the trade deadline, BUT i dont mind dreaming at all:D
    bring on michael redd! (he's a lefty shooter LIKE ME!)

13. NJRocket

NJRocket Contributing Member

unfortunately, the stuff you hear about prior to the deadline never ends up happening

14. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

DAMON STOUDAMIRE TO ROCKETS!!! -- ESPN :D

(also...NHL Deal is IMMINENT). :rolleyes:

15. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

What??!? Details!

16. MadMax

you don't remember that???

17. NJRocket

NJRocket Contributing Member

Yeah...i can remember Aldridge reporting it like it was yesterday

18. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Nuts. I had 2 hours of sleep last night. You got me. The "grin" didn't load before I responded. I will suffer for this. :(

19. New Jack

New Jack Member

The only rumored trade that I've read about is Redd+Van Horn for Shareef. I would think the only reason they want Shareef is his expiring contract.

I think maybe the trade exception, Mutombo (and his expiring contract), Juwan Howard and 1 or 2 first round draft choices could be what the Rockets are offering. That gives the Bucks about 11 million in cap relief and a decent 4 in Howard. Doubt that's enough, but after seeing what the Kings got for Webber, who knows anymore.

They're not going to get fair value for Redd though. That's for sure. There's much too big a risk of him bolting this summer to sign with the Cavs for teams to trade anybody significant for him.

20. MadMax

typical ESPN.

how many times did A-Rod get traded to Boston, according to ESPN? :)