1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Vassilis Spanoulis: Thibodeau Was The Real Head Coach Of The Rockets, Not Van Gundy

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Amel, May 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I'm trying to learn about this topic. No need to get mad just because I'm asking you to provide a source for your clams. This is an opportunity for you to build up some credibility on this board.

I couldnt' find a source for this, other than the Greek Phantis Wiki and Nikos Deja Vu blog, and the quotes are all unsourced and supplied without context, unfortunately.

That's not enough for me to believe that Gallis (or Petrovic, but you want to focus on Galis) is universally regarded as the best European player ever. Not saying he isn't, because I don't know enough about European basketball or its history to dispute it. I've just never heard anyone else ever claim it so definitively as you.

Maybe its an unfair request. European basketball is more dispersed, with all the different leagues and tournaments. So, perhaps its just less likely for there to be a consensus on who the greatest basketball player was. If there was such a consensus, then I would think it wouldn't be so difficult for you to demonstrate it. Instead, I get scattered unsourced quotes and articles about how great Galis was (from Greek sources, where he is regarded as a hero). You've convinced me that he was a great player, and probably the greatest Greek player ever. But you haven't convinced me that he is universally regarded as the greatest European player by the experts.

[rquoter]
    http://wiki.phantis.com/index.php/Nikos_Galis

Said about Galis

* Michael Jordan: "I did not expect to find such a good offensive player in Europe, especially in your country." (October 1983, National team of Greece Vs University of North Carolina for the "Dimitria" Tournament).
    * Drazen Petrovic: "I'd love to play in the same team with him so I can pass the ball to him to score!"
    * Drazen Petrovic: “If I'm the Devil's son, then Galis is the devil himself.”
    * Aza Petrovic (1988): "Drazen is my brother, but I vote for Galis."
    * Arvydas Sabonis: "I have the feeling that if Galis wants to score a basket, he will score, no matter what the opponent does, nor who the opponent is. He is always determined to succeed."
    * Giorgos Amerikanos: "The man is a computer! He knows what, when, how and why he does what he does. I have not seen such self respect to a player before. He can, if he is certain, take a shot from the center of the court, having five players guarding him, despite a teammate of his being unguarded under the opponent's basket. If I had him next to me in AEK, there would be decades before we taste a defeat."
    * Audi Norris: "I have seen a lot of big players in my life, but what Galis did today (1987-88, Barcelona - Aris) can be done only by 2-3 players in the whole world."
    * Antonio Miguel Diaz (1990): "Come on, tell me the truth. Galis came with you. Where do you hide him?"
    * Bob McAdoo (1985): "What Galis and Aris did tonight never happened to me before. Not even in a Celtics game."
    * Bob McAdoo: "I've seen Galis doing things that I have not seen either Lakers or Celtics doing."
    * Vasilis Goumas: "If we played together we would score 300 points every game. He sees the basket as a barrel."
    * Yiannis Ioannidis (1986): "I warn you! When Galis won’t be able to fly as now, he will be the best play maker in Europe!"
    * Sergei Belov: "I admire him. When he plays one on one there is no way to stop him. I never thought there could be a player who could on his own give nightmares to and beat the Soviet Union."
    * Ruudd Harevaain (Holland coach): "I found a way to stop Nick. We will lock him in a hotel so that he cannot come on the court."
    * Aleksandr Gomelsky (former Soviet Union head coach): "Galis is the player of the 21st century."
    * An opposing team's head coach, during a pre-game press conference: "I found the way to stop Galis. I'll shoot him". [/rquoter]

1 person likes this.
  2. topfive

topfive CF OG

durvasa, I think you may have stumbled on a way we can stop these worthless threads!

3. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

may expects agree that this is the hottest greek chick in the world
    [​IMG]

4. durvasa

With all due respect to Galis and Petrovic and Sabonis and Spanoulis, has any European player ever been as good as Dirk Nowitzki is right now?

5. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Once Ionos Boutslayros husbanded 12 ewes, castrated 4 rams, and personally nursed 3 suckling lambs from his own self-induced lactation, while dunking over Kamal Sukor in the 83 Barnyard Thrace vs. The World Final Four.

It is known to have been the greatest performance of all time.

It is known.

1 person likes this.
  6. OHMSS

OHMSS Rookie

Yeah well, Galis was not born in Europe.

7. OHMSS

OHMSS Rookie

Why would I want to build "credibility" with someone that keeps saying that something can't be true if it was written by a Greek or even if it was from FIBA - it cant be true if it was something reported from Greece?

That no source if it is Greek could be legit or count or used?

Yeah, so basically, according to your incredibly xenophobic and ignorant belief system, Jordan cannot be the best player in NBA ever, simply because he is American and every source making that claim is either from America, or from an American. Ergo, cannot be trusted and cannot be true.

I think this is the last time I ever respond to you here.

1 person likes this.
  8. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

Foreign Born or whatever. He wasn't better than Magic or Bird so save it. Drawing these delusions in your mind doesn't make them fact my friend.

9. OHMSS

OHMSS Rookie

Funny, because I did not say it.

10. durvasa

No one said such a thing.

What you wrote: "In Europe, historically, Drazen Petrovic and Nikos Galis are pretty much universally regarded as the best European players ever by basketball experts."

If you want to defend the claim that Greek hero Nikos Galis is "universally regarded as the best" European player ever, it would be much more convincing if you cited sources outside of Greece. That's nothing against people in Greece. Its natural for sports fans to be biased towards their national sports heroes.

If only Americans believed that Jordan was the greatest NBA player, then of course one could not say Jordan is universally regarded as such.

#110 durvasa, May 18, 2011
    Last edited: May 18, 2011
  11. anchel

anchel Member

That topic has frecuently been discused at this forum. 90-95% of people think that Nowitzki is the best european baskteball player ever, not now but already some years ago. There is a small minority that maintains that Sabonis could have done a better career if he had gone before to the NBA, younger and healthier.

Still, facts say that Nowitzki is the player with the highest level shown to date against the best opposition.

12. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

I'd say Dirk would be a damn good bet. He's a monster to defend.

13. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I have heard a lot that Sabonis was arguably the best player IN THE WORLD (including the NBA) at his peak. I guess we would never know it because he didn't compete with the best players at his peak.

By watching what he could do in the NBA, passing, shooting, rebounding, on a blown knee just got me imagine how he could have done with his athleticism intact.

14. SuperMarioBro

SuperMarioBro Member

The timing of this comment from Span is what makes it reek of BS.

15. OHMSS

OHMSS Rookie

A bunch of 15 year olds on the Spanish League forum are not European basketball experts.

16. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

17. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

http://www.mvp247.com/2013/05/spanoulis-euroleague-mvp/

SPANOULIS IS EUROLEAGUE MVP

[​IMG]

Vassilis Spanoulis of Olympiacos Piraeus has been named 2012-13 Euroleague MVP ahead of Final Four in London.

The attending members of the All-Euroleague First Team received their awards too, but it was Spanoulis who walked away with the biggest of them all, ahead of fellow First All-Team members Nenad Krstic of CSKA Moscow, Ante Tomic of FC Barcelona and Rudy Fernandez of Real Madrid plus former Euroleague MVP Dimitris Diamantidis of Panathinaikos Athens.

Kostas Papanikolaou of Olympiacos received the Rising Star award and Bobby Brown of Montepaschi Siena was on hand to pick up the Alphonso Ford Top Scoring trophy.

Tomic and Fernandez were each named to the All-Euroleague team for the first time in their respective careers. Diamantidis claimed First Team honors for the fourth time, while Spanoulis and Krstic each received First Team trophies for the second time.

Spanoulis, a two-time Final Four MVP in as many appearances in the event, was chosen as the Euroleague MVP for the first time.

18. Nero

Nero Member

Yeah that's cool, but why are all those people bowing down to the bottom of a toilet bowl?

19. speedball

speedball Contributing Member

huh?:confused:

20. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

Still mad I see lol

He could have tried it out SA if he really wanted it, but he took the easy way out.

He definitely was the tmac of Greece lol

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.