1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Varejao to miss rest of the season with blood clot in lung

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by HMMMHMM, Jan 21, 2013.

1. HMMMHMM

HMMMHMM Contributing Member

http://www.nba.com/cavaliers/releases/varejao-injury-update-130121

Sucks for him and the Cavs, obviously.

Hindsight is 20/20 and no one could have predicted Varejao missing time due to a blood clot, but the Cavs really should have traded him when his stock was at an all time high earlier this year.

2. NL Rocket

NL Rocket Member

Wow, that is messed up, guy was having a great season!

3. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Is it just me or does anyone think he took steroids this offseason. The jump in production and now this?

4. Nook

Nook Member

A blood clot? No

That he would possibly miss the rest of the season? Yes, based on his injury history.

The Cavs got lucky in the Clippers deal and got Kyrie.... but other than that, they have not exactly made great decisions.

5. Nook

Nook Member

No, his production has been going up for three seasons... his WS is very high. I know many people on here were upset when Morey wanted him 3 years ago, but when he is healthy he produces.

6. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Hope he recovers without any problems.

Cavs really messed this one up, rebuilding team and Varejao played like one of the best bigs in the league, should've cashed in ASAP.

7. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

dissapointing end to a career year... it sucks for all involved, the cavs, varejao, nba fans...

the cavs lost out on the possibility of landed some good assets for the future...

varejao is injured again, with a frightening injury, and stuck in cleveland on a rebuilding team for longer...

the fans miss out on the potential blockbuster trade were varejao could've been moved to a contender...

8. BigBenito

BigBenito Member

Could have traded high, instead asked Cavs for too much.

9. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

You are correct, unprovoked pulmonary emboli (blood clots in lung) in young men are exceedingly uncommon. The two risk factors are 1. underlying inherited hypercoagulable states (their genes) and 2. risk factors like exogenous testosterone use. Usually it will require both acting in concert.

10. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

Varejao's value was never higher than early this season, but that's precisely why the Cavs could not cash in. Only contending teams like Miami and OKC really need his services and they were in no rush to give up full value in a deal. They're both top teams even without his services, so why would OKC give up the Toronto pick so quickly? Only Boston might have been desparate enough to put together a deal so early.

11. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I said before Varajao was hurt they should trade him before he got hurt. He is the living definition of injury-prone.

Cavs blew it big time.

12. J.R.

J.R. Member

Should have traded him way back when(and no, that's not easy to say now, it was easy to say then too). This guy is always injured. Why they never moved him, I don't know. 81 games played the last 3 years(including this year. 31, 25, & 25).

#12 J.R., Jan 21, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2013
  13. robrhodes

robrhodes Member

Crap! This ruins my fantasy team. He was killing it, and theres nobody descent left.

Oh ya, best wishes to Verajao and his family.

14. moose

moose Member

LMAO @ LIN

15. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

Um.. Wouldn't "recently had surgery" also be a risk factor?

16. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

Unfortunate, hope he recovers quickly. and yeah he was huge on my fantasy team. It was painful to drop him. I replaced him with Tristan Thompson who got his miniutes, and he's been real solid though. Good FG% and rebounding.

17. Juxtaposed Jolt

Getting a blood clot shouldn't really fall under the category of injury prone.

18. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

The blood clot is irrelevant to the point. Varajao has missed 50+ games each of the last 3 years and has only played a full season 3 of his 9 seasons in the NBA.

With his stat explosion, the Cavs should have struck when the iron was hot. Their bad. See my comments on December 3rd. Read the whole thread and see that others had identical concerns. This is before the blood clot.

19. Dreamin

Dreamin Member

Sad to hear. He was having a damn good season.