1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Van Gundy's new style of basketball

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by macfan, Apr 1, 2005.

1. macfan

macfan Contributing Member

Van Gundy's style of ball has evolved

Question: Jeff Van Gundy always had a reputation as a slow it down and pound it guy in the half-court. Even this season it started out that way. Something semed to click about the time Tracy McGrady and Jeff Van Gundy had their talk, and of course, roster changes helped, but from the inside perspective, what do you think caused Van Gundy to turn to this ball movement, cutting and moving offense? It is by far the most enjoyable style of basketball to watch, and is what purists might say is the "right way" to play the game. Also, any insight as to "how" the change was made, i.e., had Van Gundy coached that style elsewhere in his long career, or did he have to change himself to change the Rockets?

Jonathan in Cy-Fair
    Answer: Jeff always insisted that his reputation was based on the teams he had in New York and those guys were best suited for thug ball (my words, not his.) No one wanted to believe him, though a team with Patrick Ewing, Anthony Mason and Larry Johnson really did seem built to bruise. He does value taking care of the ball so when last season's Rockets ran the fast break with the precision of a five-car pileup, Jeff slowed them down to at least reduce the damange.
    But that brings us to a few misconceptions about Van Gundy and his feelings about offense. He does not insist on slowing down the ball and does not question shot selection.

He began the season screaming for his team to run, but with Charlie Ward playing on a torn knee, they did not run fast enough for anyone to notice. Van Gundy does not, however, agree with the typical NBA player definition of a fast break, which translates to permission to take the first shot that comes by. When the Rockets changed point guards, they ran better and more often. The addition of more quick-thinking players, Jon Barry, David Wesley, made the Rockets more up-tempo the way great shooters would improve a team's shooting.

The funny thing is that players always assume that Van Gundy is looking over their shoulders on shot selection. He is so particular about everything else, they assume that like many coaches he would be critical about that, too. It always seems to take a few weeks, sometimes months for players to figure out that he wants them to run their offense with discipline, but to choose shots with a sense of freedom. With so many new players this season, it's been fun watching them make this discovery one at a time. By the way, Mike James holds the record by figuring this out in 15 minutes.

McGrady needed more time. Perhaps because he is capable of getting shots at any time, he needed some time to figure out that his coach really was OK with that. Van Gundy is still not too crazy about fast-break 3s. He wants fast breaks to bring an advantage, a 3 on 2 or a trailer, rather than a rushed shot. But other than that, he has always preached the same things -- get the ball inside with post-ups or penetration, move the ball, give up a good shot to get a better shot.

One more thing: The Rockets did change the way they get Yao Ming the ball. They started the season trying to get him direct post-ups. It didn't work. They found they were much more effective when he moved into post-up position off after setting screens and moving.

Just don't call the Rockets offense "the right way." That's Larry Brown's thing, and it is way too pretentious to steal.

Posted: Apr 1 2005 4:32PM | E-mail the writer

http://www.chron.com/content/chronicle/sports/feigen/qa/index.html

2. Texas Stoke

Texas Stoke Contributing Member

3. edc

edc Contributing Member

April Fools?

Injuries aside, I think tonight demonstrates just how capable the Rockets are of falling back into Van Gundy ball at a moment's notice.

4. max14

max14 Member

Van Gundy's new style = choke ball

5. Texas Stoke

The Rockets execute and play well, it's the players. The Rockets don't execute and play well, it's van gundy ball.

A fools logic in April.

6. Rockets-R-Us

Rockets-R-Us Contributing Member

When the "players" are missing wide open shots playing their usual "style" and it's NOT WORKING against the worst team in the Western Conference, how about a little "strategy" like 'TAKE THE BALL TO THE HOLE!!!!"

Yes the players failed to execute, but JVG failed to imagine anything different to compensate, and on an even more basic level he failed utterly to inspire his team to play with anything close to a decent level of effort!!

7. Texas Stoke

take the ball to the hole. only if were that easy.

imagination? how about imagining the ball going in the bucket, that's what has to happen, or else all that clipboard creativity will mean nothing, and make you look like, to an angry fan who paid good money for his seat, a coach off the street.

there's just not much imagination will do for you on night when your perimiter players are not hitting their shots and on a night when you are without, not one, but both of your starting post big men who give you your only offense in around the basket.

#7 Texas Stoke, Apr 1, 2005
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2005
  8. Rockets-R-Us

Rockets-R-Us Contributing Member

Stroke -

I agree with the "Street Coach" perspective... and you're right, I'm an angry fan who feels like my money was wasted tonight...

However, despite my agreement with you, I will always DEMAND effort from PROFESSIONAL athletes, and I will likewise expect and DEMAND that coaches find some way to at least inspire their players to demonstrate EFFORT, whether shots are falling or not...

Aside from "strategy", the Hornets were getting to every rebound and loose ball in the 4th quarter!!! It appears very much like the Rox QUIT halfway through the 4th quarter against the Spurs and tonight against the Hornets!!

Even a "street coach" can recognize when players are making a genuine effort and themselves make some effort to do something about it....

This forum is a place to bask in triumph and commiserate in defeat... I'm just ranting because the Rox sucked so bad tonight!!