1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Van Gundy says Rockets losing Yao kills title hope

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by hooroo, Mar 7, 2008.

1. Precision340

Precision340 Member

True! But it's going to be really really tough without Yao. We can do it though.

2. IamKhan

IamKhan Rookie

we will never know what JVG could do with our rookies. However Coach A's philosophy is to put players in the best position to be successful (He have said this many times). This is quite different from JVG's. Landry, Scola, Wells, Brooks, Novak, Alson, Head,.. all have their weakness, it takes a better Coach to realize those and hide as many as possible.

It's not hard to imagine JVG would bench Landry after 2 defense mistakes and play Hayes the rest of the game.

3. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Im pretty much the same, at least there is that small piece in me that says "maybe they have a miracle run" and it would be nothing short of a miracle to win the title.

I think the team can still win a playoff game, but not having a 2 headed monster of tmac and yao really hurts a title shot a lot.

very true. all part of the JVG myths. It's comical to see people make excuses and discount why young guys like luther and chuck got PT, meanwhile pointing out how he didnt give v-gina a chance. Cognitive dissonance at its best. :)

4. blackbird

blackbird Member

Exactly, JVG is a "consummate" commentator but not a good coach. Bye bye JVG, please don't waste the Rockets' time anymore, thanks Sir. :D

5. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

If Van Gundy is coaching here, I seriously doubt either Scola, Landry, or Brooks is on the team. We would have in all likelihood got in on the Kurt Thomas sweepstakes and overpaid and JVG would have MJ in there taking minutes from Rafer spotting up for the 3 and running the 1 on 3 break. When you're the GM, you've got to work with the coach and give the coach players that fit his system. And KT would have been the obvious replacement for Juwan and James would have been the PG upgrade that JVG would have played until James got his shot going at a 40% clip. And our record would be about 35-25 right now and we would be struggling to get the 8 seed.

6. EGYPT

EGYPT Member

even if he is true, just coming out of the first round would be considered an achievement in comparison to his 4 years here in Houston.

7. EGYPT

EGYPT Member

I agree, the first time one of them would have made a mistake he would have looked at them in disgust and called them off in the media.

we are winning now while the product in enjoyable and we are preparing for the future as well, imagine how good we can be with the next draft if we get the guys we need.

8. EGYPT

EGYPT Member

that is when youth helps. just like it did against the mavs in the second half.

9. ibm

ibm Member

i like jvg a lot. both as a coach and as a person. his assessment on this rockets team is pretty much what i'm thinking.

10. SuperMarioBro

SuperMarioBro Member

Not exactly a revelation here by JVG, and he does still have many nice things to say.

... But I still believe.

11. RoxD

RoxD Member

12. ColomboLQ

ColomboLQ Member

I think after 17 straight wins, people around here are losing perspective and solid grounding. Seriously, we lost our best player for the rest of the season. It doesn't matter that we are playing great without him right now. In a 7 game series, that kind of weakness will be found and exploited. If we get out of the first round, it will be a huge accomplishment and that in and of itself would be a semi upset considering whatever team we end up playing. Talks of NBA championships this season are simply not realistic and will only lead to massive frustration on the real chance that this team loses in the first round. I am as big a Rockets fan as anyone, but we need to keep some kind of objectivity here.

13. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Actually, I think JVG would have liked Scola. I think if JVG was the coach of this current team, Scola and Hayes would be splitting PT at PF, and Landry would be watching on the bench.

14. TeamUSA

TeamUSA Member

No way my arse! As long as MeMac plays the same way he's playing right now, moving the ball instead of settling for lucky jumpers, we will win. Scola is a winner. He'll take us there to the promised land.

15. rocketsregle

rocketsregle Contributing Member

Nice dream. But it won't happen.

16. Beck

Beck Contributing Member

or have a guy put up 30 and 12 every night, except for the nights he goes for 38 and 17.

damn, Dream was a beast.

17. jasonemilio

jasonemilio Member

JVG is certainly not wrong in his opinion that we will not a championship without Yao.

However, like he said, we have a much better supporting cast this time, so there should be no reason of us not finishing the remaining games better than even last year without Yao, when Tmac single-handedly won 20 games for us.

I think if we can just make the playoffs, this team has the mentality and talent to atleast get out of the first round-even without Yao.
    And if that should happen, that overgrown ape on Tmac's shoulders will be dumped, and in that case-everyone should beware of the Rockets. I really see (and sense) an ominous "link" between the Rockets and the Giants. Like the Giants, they have nothing to lose, and everything to gain, and if the Rockets should some how advance past the first round, I truly believe Tmac will become a whole new Tmac, the one that everyone always envisioned him to be when he first led Orlando to the playoffs by himself, instead of the chronically dissapointing superstar with no playoff success.

So bottom line: If we make it to the playoffs, I think this team has a good chance to advance-and if that should happen, you will see a whole new Tmac :cool:

18. TeamUSA

TeamUSA Member

Ban this unbelievers!!!

19. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

I think so, too. This is a really good team and could surprise some people in the playoffs, but who is going to slow down the likes of TD, Shaq, Amare, and etc...other post oriented big men. Even when blowhards, like Skip Bayless saying that the Rockets have become an infiinitely better team w/o one of the best centers in the league.....the Rockets are most versatile unlike last year...but teams like Spurs and Celtics have won without key players and beaten some good teams, but is it realistic to say that either team could make the NBA Finals without a player like Duncan, Garnett, or Tony Parker.

Could happen? But it would be colossal effort to do so.

20. badgerfan

badgerfan Member

So what? Bobby Jackson, Jon Barry, Shane Battier, Doug Christie--they've all said that it takes a couple of years to really get Adelman's system down. I think the Rockets will be in peak form starting next season for a span of two or three years. Hopefully both the big guys will be healthy at that point and the Rockets can make a title push.

Lay the groundwork this year and collect the benefits next season. At the very least hopefully the Rockets can get guys like Scola, Landry and Brooks some real playoff experience.