1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Vaccines

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Lurch, Aug 9, 2019.

1. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

This is a common trend that is well reported. I believe HPV vaccinations were first introduced for girls and were downplayed for boys. Now obviously they are supposed to recommend it the same for both sexes.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  2. Buck Turgidson

Yep, gotcha, I missed the "HPV" part of that earlier comment. Glad your kids don't have polio

3. Nook

Nook Member

No, people that do not vaccinate their children are idiots and deserving of all the scorn they receive. The state should take their children away for abuse.

da_juice, Rashmon and Buck Turgidson like this.
  4. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Because the top reason for the vaccine is to prevent cervical cancer.

Also it will be another 9 years worth of data by the time my daughter gets it.

B-Bob, Buck Turgidson and Amiga like this.
  5. Lurch

Lurch Live Wilder.

But why?

6. Nook

Nook Member

Because they are abusing their children and putting their children and everyone else at risk.

They are deserving of all the public scorn they receive and they are deserving of all the judgment they receive.

da_juice and Sajan like this.
  7. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

See this kind of talk of talk is when the pendulum swings too far.

No, no one should have the kids taken away.

No one should be fined or prisoned

The kids should not have their healthcare taken away

I’ve seen many of these very dark arguments made. It's either we own our bodies, or we don't. And again, it's not like vaccines are ENTIRELY problem-free, multiple children are dying every year from adverse reactions to vaccines in the USA. We all know it saves MANY more lives as a whole, but try explaining the government-mandated death of a child as the "greater good" argument to the extremely unlucky individual parents who would have to endure the hell that is losing a child. Then you have the grey area people who are medically not recommended to get vaccines due to conditions and allergies.

Incentivize vaccines, hell make a program that pays people/parents to take them, come out with "USDA Organic" vaccines, continue and expand programs to educate and promote vaccines. Make access as easy as possible. Combat bad arguments and science. Potentially mandate them for public education and childcare. These are the ways we should be trying to increase our vaccinated %'s, not through threats, punishment, taking away basic bodily rights and opening up a can of authoritarian worms within our government.

Lurch and JuanValdez like this.
  8. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

I hear all that, but just to be clear: people do get their kids taken away from them when they don't properly care for them. And definitely you'll get a whopper fine even if you don't have the right type of carseat installed the right way. LOL.

The science of vaccines is truly as solid as the science that recommends carseats (and every year, yes, we can assume there are freak accidents where carseats injure kids or other passengers).

I'm not advocating for the strong line that Nook is saying here, but I'm just pointing out there are some areas where society has drawn clear lines for parents. It would be easy for vaccines to be one.

(God but our species is so doomed.)

9. mdrowe00

mdrowe00 Member

:D...I've been lobbying for giving the cockroaches a chance at being the dominant species for awhile now myself...;)

...more than a few of them have evolved and passed themselves off as human beings already...:)

da_juice and B-Bob like this.
  10. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

I understand this. I'm totally fine with the car seat law. Driving is a privilege, not a right. I'm not saying parents have the right to do whatever they want with their kids obviously, but I believe we should have the right of a choice to withhold injections to our own/children's body, I don't like the president it would set. I promise we pass something like this and republicans will come screaming about how many lives banning abortion would save, and how we have the right to control peoples bodies if it's for the greater good etc.

11. B-Bob

I hear you again. It's a tough one. With vaccinations, this is more the analogy, since we have fellow citizens who are very immune-suppressed due to various medical conditions.

If you choose not to vaccinate, it's like not putting your kid in a carseat and finding another kid at random and removing them from a carseat also. Sigh. :(

The Israeli who was (probably) exposed by the no-vax area of New York City and was definitely not properly vaccinated... has just died of measles.
    https://www.cbsnews.com/news/el-al-flight-attendant-dies-in-israel-months-after-getting-measles/

Are those people in NYC at least partly responsible for this woman's death? Open question.

Nook, FranchiseBlade and Sajan like this.
  12. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

Look, I know we have given you a hard time here, but are you just willfully ignoring the actual hard data that proves how skewered your anti-vax reasoning is?

Nook and Sajan like this.
  13. B-Bob

Never heard if he watched the herd immunity video I shared for him. I'm beginning to think this "if it's so clear, why can't you explain it?" game is way too familiar. "Sad!"

I'm checking out of thread. I'm so so happy that neither my wife nor I are immuno-compromised. Wish that was true of all our friends too.

FranchiseBlade and Sajan like this.
  14. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

And do you think the HPV vaccine indeed does have a much higher history of serious adverse reactions? It's so hard to just get facts/data these days, since everyone seems to have a vested interest. It at least seems like the HPV vaccine has been way more problematic.

My girls are very far away from this, though my sons are older and closer.

15. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

The risks that may or may not exist with HPV are tiny and non threatening. Some people claim it can lead to infertility (although the CDC refutes this), but HPV itself is a much bigger cause of infertility, so you are actually lowering your overall chance of infertility.

Something like 35,000 cases of HPV caused cancer occur in the US each year. You could literally wipe that out almost completely with the HPV vaccine. I'm trying to think of my daughter...how would I feel if I did not get her the HPV vaccine and she gets cervical cancer at 35 when she's raising her family?

Nook likes this.
  16. Sajan

Sajan Member

I checked out a few pages back, checked back and it seems nothing has changed.

Just a thought here...society has been moving towards giving everyone a voice and being inclusive of everyone but we shouldn't do that at the cost of putting thousands in harms away when a collective group of people are being negligent by ignoring years of sound science because of paranoia spread through social media and blogs.

17. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I remember when parents were scared to death that their kids would get polio. We had to stay inside in the afternoons during the summer. Very frustrating for someone who was barefooted for most of the summer months back when there were no fire ants, running around like a lunatic. There were at least 15,000 cases a year in the States, and then a miracle occurred. The "killed virus" polio vaccine developed by Dr. Salk was given a massive test in the early '50's and I was part of it. You received it by injection.

The ""live virus" vaccine developed by Dr. Sabin came later, and is the vaccine kids started getting with a sugar cube in the early '60's. There was (and remains) some controversy about the use of the "live virus" vaccine. Although it is very rare, there have been isolated cases of someone taking it developing polio. That wasn't the case with Dr. Salk's vaccine. A federal panel in 1999 and again 10 years later recommended a return to using Dr. Salk's "dead virus" vaccine. Dr. Sabin refused to admit that his vaccine ever caused polio. Not very professional of him, in my opinion. Just thought I'd toss that out there. Polio has been wiped out in the United States, thanks to vaccinations.

To be clear, I support vaccinations, but it doesn't hurt to do some research if you're a parent. Both of our kids got every vaccination available. I would be careful about your sources though, just as you should be about any subject. There's a lot of baloney out there, and not just the kind you can eat.

mdrowe00, Exiled and pgabriel like this.
  18. Exiled

Exiled Member

Some concerns have a factual basis like rotavirus vaccine (new/old) and intussusception, others are just misconceptions .
    Dr.Sears alternative vaccinations schedule should be easily accessible option to parents if trust can't be fully established

19. Nook

Nook Member

Nope. If you abuse your children and they eventually are taken away. You don’t get your kids an education, you lose them, you don’t feed your kids or bathe them, you lose them. This is no different. If you don’t vaccinate your children then you should lose them because you are not willing or capable of taking care of them.

When you are talking about potential wide spread epidemics because ignorant parents don’t want to vaccinate their children, then the parents should pay the price.

Also it has nothing to do with “owning our bodies”.... we would be protecting the bodies of children. We put lots of limitations on what parents can do to the bodies of their children all the time.

Rashmon and mdrowe00 like this.
  20. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

It’s been a while since I’ve been up to speed entirely but if my memory is correct the argument was two-fold: (1) the vaccine itself actually isn’t that broad. It only protects against a limited group of potential cancers, and (2) there have been a number of girls effectively seen their health meaningfully diminished over many years from adverse reactions post that vaccine.

Maybe that isn’t true anymore?

My daughters are quite young so have a while there though my oldest son is nearing double digits and I think they are pushing hpv vaccine at younger and younger age.