1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

V-Tech Shooting

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Sishir Chang, Apr 16, 2007.

Tags:
  1. Sishir Chang

Sishir Chang Contributing Member

I was in the thread in Hangout on this and I thought that someone had started a D & D thread on this since gun control and race are going to be big issues for this. I didn't see one so am starting one. Mods if one already exist please combine the two.

2. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Don't see how race has anything to do with this. Except for the fact you said its mostly white people that do this.

3. Bandwagoner

I just reread it and saw you were countering a news anchor. Lets keep race out of this.

4. Sishir Chang

I don't recall making jokes about ninjas coming out of the woodwork but if you feel you need guns to defend against those I would say you are being really paranoid and not realistic.

I think people have a Constitutional right to own guns but I wouldn't use an example like this tragedy though to make a pro or anti-gun control point.

We don't know all the facts yet about this case and one very important point will be if this guy got his weapons legally. If he did that would just make the point that the current gun control laws are insufficient. At the sametime even though this is a terrible event mass shootings are still a very isolated phenomenon. A further armed citizenry might prove preventative but given that there are many people who suffer from mental problems easier access to weapons might make it easier for them to go on shooting sprees.

At the moment though there isn't enough information to make a conclusion if stricter gun control laws or more lax ones would make a difference.

5. Sishir Chang

Yes that was my point. The anchor was making a point regarding Asians somehow being prone to this. I didn't feel that was valid since historically its mostly been members of another race who have done mass shootings. There's no evidence at the moment to draw a conclusion regarding race on this.

6. Bandwagoner

Agreed. I feel it will have no meaning at all.

7. rhester

rhester Contributing Member

Don't put guns on trial because of crazy people.
    This is a people problem.

Maybe if we banned automobiles there wouldn't be drunk drivers killing innocent children.

If we banned automobiles then we could ban refineries where innocent workers are killed in disasters.

I prefer finding the root causes to increased violence in society and dealing with the cause issues.

Only in a totalitarian government can you control people who won't control themselves.

I would prefer all the 'experts' solving the human issues instead of putting guns on trial.

BTW- this was very tragic, our prayers are with these students and faculty.

8. Bandwagoner

Your reaction to my need to carry a gun.

9. Sishir Chang

I still stand by that.

If you feel you need to carry a gun to stop ninja attacks I think you are being paranoid.

10. Major

Major Member

Of course, unlike guns, each of these examples have a positive purpose in society other than killing people.

Guns don't cause people to kill each other. They simply facilitate the process and make it far easier.

11. Bandwagoner

Good idea. An armed citizen could have cut this to little to no loss of life. Except the psycho.

12. Bandwagoner

And they exist. So you make the choice, take them out of the hands of people who have never commited a crime and have no history of violent crime or not?

13. Bandwagoner

Pure Genius!

14. Major

Major Member

Except to make that work, you'd need a large number of armed citizens. If you give 100 million people guns, do you think you'd have less or more than 30 new accidental deaths in the next ten years (generic guess about how often an incident like this might occur)?

15. Major

Major Member

Every criminal fit that description before they became a criminal.

16. Bandwagoner

Well considering there are more guns than people in the US and less than 1400 accidental deaths each year...........

17. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

****ty news

only in america

18. Bandwagoner

Could you expand a bit.

19. Major

Major Member

There are more guns than people now, and we don't have an actively "armed populace" - which means you need to increase the numbers of guns by A LOT to get to the point where this tragedy would have likely been prevented. Let's say you increase it just 25%, or at least have 25% of the people carrying guns instead of storing them somewhere. 1400 deaths increased by 25% is 350 new deaths per year ... to stop an incident like this, which happens far less than once a year and has about 30 deaths (confirmed so far).

20. Bandwagoner

No you just need to stop making it illegal to carry in certain arbitrary areas.