1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

V-Span might join Spurs after friendship with Parker

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by yobod, Aug 16, 2007.

1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

This is EXACTLY my point. We were not getting to the finals last year no matter WHO played the PG position, so someone in management should have forced JVG to play some of the youth to find out if they ARE going to be part of the future.

IMO, it came down to two different mindsets, management knew the team was still a bit away from really contending, and JVG knew that he had to win as many games as possible to get a new contract.

This was almost a perfect storm and a problem for young players like V-Span etc....

I don't know if V-Span would have developed into a contributing member of the team, but he was at least worth a shot IMO, because a 30 something Rafer was not going to be getting any better, the organization should have been building for the next year........but JVG was too focused on the next game.

Heck proof of what management thought of Rafer is in how he is being treated this off season, they will give him away for a half eaten bag of peanuts.

Management vs coach......that is bad for the organization all around.

As for whether V-Span is better than Rafer, I think there is a very good chance that he will become much better than Rafer with playing time......but he has to play and be trusted to play through his mistakes for that to happen.

And that was never going to happen with JVG.....Popovich is different he will yell and scream, but if you are playing hard, you get to play through your mistakes, with JVG.....one and done.....

This is why I am convinced that JVG is not a championship coach.

DD

2. Tauntaun13

Tauntaun13 Member

Spanoulis was just released from the Spurs.

3. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

lmfao.
    ah well, a good thread nonetheless

4. BEXCELANT

BEXCELANT Member

LINK?

5. BEXCELANT

BEXCELANT Member

No mention of a Spurs release on the Spurs bulletin board.

6. knickstorm

knickstorm Member

7. BEXCELANT

BEXCELANT Member

Hmm plenty of controvery over there too about VSPAN LOL :D I would not be suprised either way. Spurs will benefit by signing him or dumping him. For them it's a win-win situation irregardless.

8. MLittle577

MLittle577 Contributing Member

That those post say 7-27-07

9. BEXCELANT

BEXCELANT Member

In otherwords, old article and nothing new. No official word on waiver or signing.

10. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

DD please keep posting, a subsequent second ban would make this thread go from hilarious to uproarious.

11. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

DD, your fascination and focus on V-Span goes beyond any reasonable sense. If you could step back and read your posts from an objective standpoint, you'd understand why so many people ridicule you. With no malice at all, I have to say you look ridiculous. Your constant venom at JVG and love towards V-Span borders on obsession. The other 2 or 3 V-Span lovers here gave up arguing months ago.

After last season, I bet 0.01% of the members here would label V-Span "high reward", unless backup PG is convoluted to mean "high reward". That's the best he could ever hope to be in the NBA.

12. BBall Scientist

Honestly I could care less about JVG. He's the most overrated coach by miles. Adelman is a damn good measure better than him.

The point I am always making here and people know it is true so rather than actually debate it or consider it, they simply say "it does not matter" because they are obvioulsy defending Van Gundy, is Spanoulis' play in Europe......

Look, apparently some people here think it's a personal attack on their beloved coach Van Gundy when people talk about Spanoulis in any way that is not derogatory.

Apparently DD kept egging them on.

My POINT which is true, and because cannot be debated or argued is simply said as being "doesn't matter" or "I don't care" or instead they will post false stats or false things or whatever.........

is that in Euroleague Spanoulis is THE MAN. This is a VERY legit point that NO ONE on this board wants to discuss.

You act like DD worships Spanoulis, well guess what he over and over says Scola is "better" than Spanoulis.

Here's the big issue, ask any Euro fan who is better, who would they rather have, I can tell you Spanoulis would win by a land slide.

This board can believe whatever it wants to about Spanoulis and his play with Rockets, his stats in garbage time and limited minutes, about JVG about "Sarunas is superior to him" about "he can only play his game in Europe" whatever they want to believe,

BUT Spanoulis is the a$$ kicker of all a$$ kickers in Euroleague and this team didn't give him a proper look and dropped him as soon as they could.

Considering how Spanoulis would not come back and also even tells the Spurs to piss off, it's of course a great trade by Morey.

But this whole fantasy here by so many people including DD that Scola and all these other Euro players and like Rafer Alston ESPECIALLY are better than Spanoulis is just, that fantasy.

Spanoulis is easily the top player Euroleague has seen at his age of 23.

He's a dominant player there. He dominates like he did against Team USA ALL THE TIME against top teams. Scola is NOT anywhere near the prospect he is.

I for one didn't even get why people wanted him on the Spurs. I wanted him back with Panathinaikos. Because now he will get a 5 year deal there and he will become the top Euro player ever. Euro fans know it, they know he was better than Manu ever was at the same age.

Now because Stern has said Panathinaikos will be joined to the NBA by 2010-2011 season, and Spanoulis will have become the unquestioned best player in Europe, this IMO will be exactly what in time will show just how ridiculous the viewpoints on Spanoulis are.

Doesn't it register at all here? Scola is minor prospect compared to Spanoulis basically everywhere in the basketball world.

13. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

BBall Scientist, I'm almost speechless. WOW! To be brief, I'll just say you obviously haven't been reading DD's posts about JVG and V-Span very long. There is a very lengthy body of work that I'm referring to.

On V-Mac "THE MAN" in Greece, I wish him the best back where he belongs. What happened in Euroleague doesn't mean dog vomit in the NBA. Without following Euroleague basketball, I can't help but think your description of V-Mac is ridiculous. "Scola is minor prospect compared to Spanoulis basically everywhere in the basketball world." Oh really?

Also, your statement, "apparently some people here think it's a personal attack on their beloved coach Van Gundy when people talk about Spanoulis in any way that is not derogatory" is a straw man. Have fun talking to him. Good distraction from the real subject. That tactic is used here a lot.

If your post is pure sarcasm, ha ha.

14. VesceySux

VesceySux Contributing Member

DaDa, please abdicate your position as V-Span Information Minister immediately. There's a new sheriff in town, and he takes hyperbole and fanaticism to record highs.

(Once again,) Euroleague don't mean dick here. There's a reason why international players have their own little sub-forum here at Clutchfans called "NBA Draft 2007: College and International Basketball": They're NOT NBA players, nor will they ever be confused as such UNTIL they play in the NBA and can be judged accordingly. And guess what? V-Span DOES have NBA stats that can be analyzed, albeit a small sample. So you can talk about V-Span's Euroleague status/stats/potential until you're blue in the face, but it's all just bluster. A year from now, when Scola has NBA stats under his belt, no matter how good or bad, I guarantee we won't be talking about his European stats or performance, because hey, what's the point when he has actual NBA stats to scrutinize? So why are we talking about V-Span's Euroleague experience now?

15. BEXCELANT

BEXCELANT Member

ah, well V-Span is unproven in NBA play. But for the $$, less headaches and the ability to play in a league that will soon rival the NBA, I can see why he's gonna stay over there. So stay or go makes no difference to me. For the record, I did not want JVG as the Rockets coach from the very beginning.

Back when we were looking at Larry Brown, Jeff Van Gundy, Mike Dunleavy, John Lucas, Pat Riley, Avery Johnson, and Doc Rivers. I wanted to see Lucas get a shot. Maybe L. Brown but that was before he imploded at the New York Knicks.

16. DaDakota

Too much of it, actually....I got in trouble for basically railroading most threads into V-Span and JVG threads.....my bad.

As for Scola being better, that is not what I am trying to say either, I am saying that the Rockets are better off with Francis and Scola than with just V-Span.

Everyone knows that I think V-Span has special abilities that should have been utilized and developed more to make the Rockets a better team, especially going forward into the next few years.

I do find it funny that people take extremes on both sides of this argument, V-Span struggled mightily this year, but he did have a lot of good moments and some great games. Rookies need playing time to develop, and to get used to the pace and play of the NBA....garbage time is practically worthless in finding out anything about a player.

Do I think V-Span was ready to be the starting PG last year.....NO......not by what he showed, but the flip side is that he was not put into a position to take advantage of his strengths, PnR, and drive and dish.....

The bottom line is that he was a square peg, trying to fit into JVG's round hole of a system.....they just didn't mesh.

And, I think JVG was utterly classless in his handling of him.....sure he is old school trying to break him down......Bobby Knight style......and I have ZERO respect for that way of management or coaching.....

So, to sum it up......I think both JVG and V-Span bare some responsibility in how this went down, and IMHO, the Rockets are better off with both of them gone...

This team is going to be better coached, and have solid NBA players at all 5 positions and coming off the bench....

I wish V-Span luck, and hope he plays in San Antonio, just so Sam Fisher has to eat another big ole can-o-crow.

I think this is the proper thread for this discussion, hopefully Clutch agrees. I hope to avoid being tossed on my keyster again.

:D

Happily sir !

GO ROCKETS !!!!

DD

#156 DaDakota, Aug 19, 2007
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2007
  17. King1

King1 Contributing Member

So you think he just sat VSpan because of some personal agenda while we had absolutely no depth at PG? It was by far our weakest position and yet he played Luther and Lucas, but sat our FA signing who was supposed to be a key part of our success? I highly doubt it. Luther and hayes are just as high risk as VSpan.

In Boki's case i would agree with with you. Not on VSpan.

JVG may have indeed been a bad coach for this team. However that doesn't change anything about VSpan. Your argument is based on pure speculation. Pissed away the Playoffs? I don't think he's the reason we lost. If you remember UTah went to the Conference Finals and we took them to 7 with two weak positions and TMac and Yao not playing to their fullist potential.

Don't get me wrong, I love what we're doing with our current team and am very happy with the coaching change but I don't buy into the VSpan theories of yours.

Good bye!

18. DaDakota

Cool, just different opinions, but at the end of the day, it is all about the Rockets, and again, I am happy both JVG and V-Span are gone, because the team is better.

GO ROCKETS !

DD

#158 DaDakota, Aug 19, 2007
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2007
  19. King1

King1 Contributing Member

No question about that. I'm with you all the way on this post. Yeah, just differeing opinions on VSpan. Not really a big deal. At the end of the day, he got us Scola and we are deep at the pg position instead of weak with a better coach so we're in for a great season.

20. ReD_1

ReD_1 Rookie

Vassilis is gone!There is nothing to speak about!What if this,what if that!He is gone.He wouldn't play for us and we got two very good role players for him and still we have some kind of contribution from him.Even if he makes an All Star in SA we have nothing with it because he isn't our player anymore.Face the truth
    JVG RUINED V-SPAN
    you can make a thread about it too!