1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

V-Span might join Spurs after friendship with Parker

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by yobod, Aug 16, 2007.

1. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

ugh, wasn't yesterday's thread enough for everybody?

Seriously, who cares?

2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

LOL - I know.....

Clutch, would it surprise you if that article was actually spawned because of the V-Span thread?

It wouldn't surprise me one bit, I might even bet on it.

DD

3. windfern

windfern Member

Exactly. We coud use Scola more now than Billy. What Jeff did to Billly was a blessing in disguise. I hope Span gets a chance to prove that Jeff has no place in the NBA for another coaching job and I hope ESPn would fire him for that.

4. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I want V-Mac to play for Pop soooo bad. If he has the same attitude as last season, Pop will chew him up and spit him out. If he straightens up and acts like a man, maybe he will cut it.

5. DaDakota

Honest question. If V-Span comes over and acts the same (because we don't really know how he was treated here) and becomes a player under Pop, will you admit that a good portion of the problem with V-Span was really JVG?

DD

6. Blatz

Blatz Contributing Member

I would and if he was to go over there and not become that occasional all star or just do the same thing there that he did here are you going to try and say JVG killed his desire to compete, destroyed his confidence and ruined his career or wow I guess JVG was right?

#26 Blatz, Aug 16, 2007
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2007
  7. University Blue

Let's not get carried away.

Sincerely,
    Steve Francis
    Cuttino Mobley
    Kirk Snyder
    Bonzi Wells

8. DaDakota

Nope, I will say that V-Span just doesn't have the cajones or game to make it.

Again, I have never said he was the answer, just that Rafer wasn't, and we should be giving V-Span a look......

But, I think JVG was bad for V-Span to have as his first NBA coach, especially given that his contract was up and was clearly trying to be as conservative as possible to get a new contract.

Oil and Water, IMO.

DD

9. University Blue

For reals? If JVG is still w/ ESPN, you may get your chance at a donkey's ass on national television.

10. University Blue

Please turn in your V-SPAN fan club card before you are asked to leave.

11. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

IMO, JVG may have exacerbated a problem that already existed. What I mean is V-Span vastly overestimated his abilities and his attitude about what he deserved was way out of whack. Instead of being sensitive about it, JVG played hardball, especially after V-Mac stupidly spoke to the greek press. This didn't help things at all.

If V-Span gets his head on straight and plays well for Pop, more power to him. We still won't know how much of last year was supposedly JVG's fault because V-Span won't be the same guy. I'm already willing to blame JVG some because V-Span should have gotten a lot more garbage minutes that what he did. It was ridiculous the way JVG wouldn't sit the rotation players until 3 minutes were left in the game.

12. windfern

windfern Member

Maybe the majority of the people in the league think otherwise. That Jeff is truly a loser.

13. GoatBoy

GoatBoy Member

OKay, then... if Vag-Span ever scores 20 in an NBA game, I will French kiss JVG on national TV.

14. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

How about we continue this thread (or start similar ones) if and only if:
    (A) V-Span sets foot in the NBA again,
    *and*
    (B) said 'Span gets any significant playing time.

Just a crazy idea.

15. BEXCELANT

BEXCELANT Member

LMAO and the thread goes on.....

The Spurs board is all abuzz about the possibility of getting Vspan. They are saying that all they got at pt guard right now is Tony Parker with an aging Vaughn behind him. That getting V-Span would definately be an upgrade. Plus they are very impressed with his recent performance against France and in the recent Euroleague tournament.

Spanoulis is lighting up in the Euroleagues this summer and he recently torched Parker's French team.

16. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

bald bob, the glare from your slick, glistening pate is so blinding and distracting that it is physically obscuring the words of your post, I had to quote it just now to see what it really said.

17. BBall Scientist

You know what's ironic is, Spanoulis actually will play in the NBA again if he goes back to Panathinaikos.

On WFAN last night they were talking about how Stern just said he has approved an expansion for Europe that would include 3 teams by 2010-2011 season.

If I heard right I believe the teams they said were:

CSKA Moscow, Russia

where Papaloukas of Greece plays, considered by many to be the top player in the world that does not play in NBA currently

Real Madrid, Spain

where point guard Raul Lopez of Spain plays

Panathinaikos, Athens Greece

would have Greek guards Spanoulis/Diamantidis back court, best back court in world outside current NBA

Apparently the NBA would actually like at least 4 teams, maybe 5 teams in the NBA over in Europe by the year 2012.

The first 3 teams have already been decided upon CSKA Moscow, Panathinaikos Athens, and Real Madrid and could all be in the NBA by the year 2010. These franchises "will be expanded into the NBA soon." "At the very least these three Euroleague franchises will become NBA franchises."

Those 3 franchises have been "thoroughly studied by the NBA and are NBA franchises already, they just need to be joined with us. They all are in agreement with us to do so." According to Stern.

The top franchise and country/city on the list for expansion is Panathinaikos of Athens, Greece. Next slated is Real Madrid of Madrid, Spain, followed by CSKA Moscow of Moscow, Russia.

It seemed that even if they cannot get one or two more teams, these 3 WILL be NBA teams. Stern is claiming that these franchises and cities already meet every criteria for being NBA teams and are already an NBA team, just playing in a different league. No other franchise in Europe meets the criteria yet, but one possibly two more may meet within the next 5 years.

Other Euroleague franchises in the consideration are if I heard right, Pallacanestro of Treviso Italy (Nachbar's old team) , Maccabi Tel Aviv of Tel Aviv Israel (Jasikevicius' old team) and Tau Ceramica of Spain (Scola's old team).

However, those franchises are "not capable of being NBA teams for at least another 5 years and may never reach the ability. At the moment they are far from the other 3 teams we have already approved."

Stern would like 1 or 2 more franchises so if no other Euroleague franchise can make it by 2012 besides the three already picked for 2010 then the NBA will look to Mexico City, Mexico Sao Paulo, Brazil, Rio De Janiero, Brazil, and Buenos Aires, Argentina as the options for a 4th or possibly even 5th expansion team by 2012.

So if the reports are true that Spanoulis may sign a 5 year deal with Panathinaikos Athens, he is going to be in the NBA again if he goes back there.

Ironic.

So I am wondering, did Panathinaikos Athens inform Spanoulis and his agent that this team is going to be expanded into the NBA? Could this possibly be a behind the scenes cause for a lot of this?

Think about it. Spanoulis and his agent know it's better to play in the NBA than it is to play for the top team in the world outside of the NBA, which is Panathinaikos Athens. So Spanoulis moves from the best team outside the NBA to the NBA.

Then Spanoulis and his agent find out that in 3 years Panathinaikos will be in the NBA. He can live in Greece, play in Greece and STILL be in the NBA.

This also means probably most important of all, that once Panathinaikos Athens is expanded into the NBA, now they can sign players to max contracts under the NBA rules and will have the money and resources to do so (Stern claims this is the richest team in the world outside of the NBA and would be the third biggest media market in the NBA once it was merged into the league).

Now Spanoulis can play in Greece, live in Greece, play in the NBA and get a MAX NBA contract from his team of choice, not a team that drafted him. Also playing where he would then get more exposure, more recognition and more media hype and a bigger NBA market than Houston is.

Spanoulis now becomes the biggest name, the biggest star, on the the third biggest media market team in the NBA and can still lay on the beach in paradise whenever he wants to, while never having to leave his own country, his own culture, family and friends, lifestyle, food, etc.

This would be an absolute no-brainer for Spanoulis, his agent, even mom and bro. This may be the REAL reason he and his mom and agent complained, not Van Gundy.

This also would explain why he was so eager to leave the NBA when so many Greek fans could not understand it and were upset that he would quit without trying to make it. Also from the NBA point of view they of course would WANT him playing in Athens, not Houston or any other NBA city once the expansion was in place because of the money involved.

18. Storm Surge

Storm Surge Rookie

spanoulis will become steve nash, watch

19. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Some days, I wish the scientologists would all go back to the Pantha basketball barn with all the rest of the the fanatical kouroi

20. BEXCELANT

BEXCELANT Member

So, the question then becomes rectangular lanes in the NBA or Trapezoidal shaped lanes in the NBA :D