1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

V-Span might join Spurs after friendship with Parker

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by yobod, Aug 16, 2007.

1. windfern

windfern Member

10000 views and counting. This thread is a testament of how much rockets' fans love and hate Billy.

2. topfive

topfive CF OG

This just in:

ATHENS (AP) - Greek basketball player Vassilis Spanoulis has asked
    to be released from the contract he signed with Panathinaikos Athens
    mere days ago. The star guard was apparently unhappy with his locker,
    saying it lacked the "proper accoutrements for a player of [his] stature."
    According to sources, Spanoulis had requested his locker be fitted with a
    telephone and wireless headset with a 500-meter range so that he could
    remain in constant contact with his mother at all times, even while on the
    court.

Spanoulis, whose NBA career was cut short by vicious psychological injuries
    inflicted by an unknown merciless bald Euro-bashing, rookie-hating fanatic,
    had hoped a return to the European League would resurrect his fading fame.
    As he noted upon signing the contract, "I prefer to play here at the junior
    varsity level. The varsity players don't realize how competitive we are here.
    And next year, I can return to the varsity with much fanfare because
    everyone loves me there except my hairless nemesis."

Noted New York attorney Sam Fisher pointed out that "Greek contracts are
    often not worth the grape leaves they are printed on, leaving Barnyard
    League teams particularly vulnerable to such issues." Noted roundball
    researcher BBall Scientist was unavailable for comment, as he was busy
    editing forum postings.

3. GermanRoxFan

GermanRoxFan Member

absolutely hilarious. :D

the last pages of this thread are seriously the best i've read all offseason. :p

4. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

No. See below for the real reason this thread is so popular. It has little to do with V-Span at this point.

Manny, you hit a grand slam with that picture. I still have tears in my eyes and a runny nose while typing this.

I still can't stop laughing.

5. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Funny stuff man. Gotta hand it to you.

6. BEXCELANT

BEXCELANT Member

Crown prince V. Spanoulis has left court for his own country. May Prince Vassilis the Great rule well in his own Kingdom and his vassals of Panathinaikos. The V.Span saga is now officially over.

Huzzah!

7. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

Thanks, A_3PO! I can't remember who I saw do that for the first time (maybe it was Mr. Meowgi), but pulling out the old picture of a crying baby is always good for some hilarity. :D

8. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

i would say that its a testament to the pure comedy gold of people who continually defend a guy on nothing but a hope and a prayer.

9. bladeage

bladeage Contributing Member

bahahah thread of the year.

10. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Top notch.

11. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

EA Sports:BIG is working on a beta version of NBA:Barnyard, slated for release summer 08, details to follow ....

12. yobod

yobod Member

I HAD NO IDEA THE THREAD WOULD BE THIS POPULAR WHEN I MADE IT :)

13. windfern

windfern Member

You're a superstar now.. ;)

14. JeopardE

JeopardE Contributing Member

TopFive:

Request permission to post that on my blog. Or perhaps you could post it as a guest blogger. :)

15. BBall Scientist

Defending European Champions Greece continues undefeated in the Eurobasket.

Spanoulis continues to be the star player of the team and leading scorer after 3 games:

http://fibaeurope.com/coid_bSkCPYkvGA6sxea4Widsx1.container_frontpage.articleMode_on.html

// 22 August 2007

If Greece were looking to peak shortly before travelling to Spain to defend their EuroBasket title, they appear to have met that aim.

Panagiotis Yannakis’ men beat Slovenia 80-65 on Wednesday for the third straight triumph at the Acropolis Tournament.

Taking on a Slovenia team that is without a host of veteran players but one that has nevertheless been very impressive this summer, the Greeks used a decisive 14-0 run that began midway through the third quarter to propel them to victory.

Vassilis Spanoulis, who just clinched his return to Panathinaikos this month from the San Antonio Spurs, started the surge with a jump shot before Theo Papaloukas scored six consecutive points for a 57-52 lead.

The three baskets took Papaloukas’ points haul to 12, and Dimitris Diamantidis followed with a lay-up before Antonis Fotsis buried a three-pointer.

Spanoulis then capped the run, making one of two free throws to leave leave Greece with a 63-52 advantage.

Slovenia got no closer than eight points the rest of the way.

Spanoulis led Greece with 16 points while Domen Lorbek had 15.

16. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

:D

and i thought the comedy was over.

how can anyone argue with this...the proof is in the hotdog

17. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

Here we go again....

18. BBall Scientist

Spanoulis was just named the MVP of The 2007 Eurobasket of Acropolis tournament in Athens, Greece, which was between Slovenia, Lithuania, Italy, and Greece.

The Greek National Team, which are the defending European Champions won the tournament and went undefeated.

Spanoulis was the leading scorer.

Hmm, so far all the predictions that he would disappear and give no reason for any other NBA teams to take notice are looking pretty bad.

19. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

The question is not whether he has the talent... Dennis Lindsey thought he had talent, even Jeff Van Gundy thought he had enough talent to have a chance in the NBA.

The problem was his lack of tenacity. He pouted and gave up when the coach didn't hand playing time to him and criticised him. He didn't work to earn everyone's trust, but instead spend all his energy wondering why no one realizes how wonderful he was.

Look, Chuck Hayes, another player Dennis Lindsey liked, was not liked by Van Gundy, either... thought he was too short, even cut him. But did Chuck pout? Did Chuck go to Dennis, CD, or his mom to ask them to talk to the coach? No. Chuck worked his ass off and earned JVG's trust. He got not only a spot on the roster, but minutes as a starter.

20. BBall Scientist

Here's the victory over the Italian National Team, which is the #6 rated team in the WORLD by FIBA.

This doesn't seem to jive with all the speculation here about how the Greek team "sucks" and how they only play in "barns."

http://www.eurobasket2007.org/en/ci...id_7On8ccZhGOIQ,MndonZWU1.articleMode_on.html

Defending European champions Greece beat Italy 72-62 on the second night of the Acropolis Tournament in Athens.

With EuroBasket 2007 tipping off in 13 days, Panagiotis Yannakis’ team showed signs it is coming into peak form.

Vassilis Spanoulis and Nikolaos Chatzivrettas scored 16 points apiece for the Greeks.

With the game knotted at 6-6 following a basket from Italy’s Andrea Crosariol, Yannakis’ team reeled off seven straight points.

Chatzivrettas started the spurt with a jump shot, Lazaros Papadopolous followed with a three-point play and Michail Kakiouzis capped it with a lay-up.

Italy, who played without emerging stars Andrea Bargnani and Danilo Gallinari, twice cut the deficit to four points soon after, but got no closer the rest of the way.