1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

V-Span might join Spurs after friendship with Parker

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by yobod, Aug 16, 2007.

1. yobod

yobod Member

It seemed to be a foregone conclusion that the Spurs' trade of Jackie Butler and Luis Scola to the Houston Rockets for point guard Vassilis Spanoulis was done strictly to clear roster space. Butler was never going to crack the rotation and Scola wasn't about to join a team that didn't have a starting role for him. It made perfect sense, then, to deal both of them. The fact that they were able to deal them for a player who was unlikely to do anything but welcome a buyout was so much the better. It would leave the Spurs room to sign Ime Udoka and possibly one more free agent - like Troy Hudson, for example.

That was all before Spanoulis dropped 15 points and a load of assists against France in international play last week. Now rumors are flying that Tony Parker is lobbying the Spurs to push for Spanoulis to actually join the team. Spanoulis, for his part, is tired of riding an NBA bench when he could be living it up as Greece's biggest basketball star. He has made no secret of his intention to play for Panathinaikos next season. There's a pretty good chance that even if Parker could persuade the Spurs to reach out to Spanoulis they would find him unwilling to return to the NBA - even if it means playing for a championship.

Then again, the word was that San Antonio was going to release Spanoulis by August 7th, which they didn't do. Why not? Is something going on there?

The Spurs have only two roster spots open and one is most certainly going to Udoka, who is working out final details on a contract that has been in the works for several weeks. The rumor mill has either Marcus Williams or Tiago Splitter landing the last spot, though neither is particularly likely. Williams didn't have much of a showing in summer league and is far more likely to find himself with the Austin Toros than the Spurs. Splitter is also unlikely, as the Spurs have no intention of bringing him over from Europe this year.

San Antonio was among the first teams to reach out to Troy Hudson when it came out that the Timberwolves were going to look at scenarios to move out their veterans. They are said to be leading in the bid for Hudson's services, a move that would also rule out Spanoulis' return to the NBA.

In short, it's interesting that rumors have arisen regarding a new kinship between Spanoulis and Tony Parker. Perhaps this is Tony's way of ignoring his new wife's pandering in the media about her desire to have ten kids. It's strange how America fixates of the slightest little thing celebrities say. As for the Spurs, it doesn't seem that they're making room for Spanoulis any time soon.

http://www.***************/article_23041.shtml

2. University Blue

I blame this mess on Jeff *&*&^%$&%& Gundy.

Seriously.

:mad: :mad:

3. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Are they referring to the same BBS rumor we were talking about?

4. abundance

abundance Member

I don't think hoopsworld counts as news. Though there is a "slight chance" he will join. He is still expecting to be released and stay in Greece.

http://sport24.gr/spanoulis.asp

5. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

Hoopsworld, probably used the "email" posted earlier as a source. Lock it up!

6. Major

Major Member

Title:

V-Span might join Spurs after friendship with Parker

Last Sentence of Article:

As for the Spurs, it doesn't seem that they're making room for Spanoulis any time soon.

7. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

He posted a hoopsworld article...

[​IMG]

8. yobod

yobod Member

lol, hey it sounds like it has a chance. hoopsworld or not. the spurs need a back up pg, theyre the world champs, and parker can convince him

"joins the spurs, ill hook up you up with one of my wifes friends"

9. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

A-Train, interesting that VG looks kind of Roman at times...

[​IMG]

10. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

I don't care if the Spurs do sign him. Scola will be better for the Rockets. We still won that trade.

11. BEXCELANT

BEXCELANT Member

Reboundingwise looking at Scola's stats he sucks. I hope he can do better than that when he's here.

12. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I wonder if the Spurs could lone him to Panathankis for a year, and bring him over next year?

I would not be surprised if he does go to San Antonio and succeed, while their coach is a hardliner, he also values players that are creative and can put their opponents on their heels.

JVG - well, he still sucks.

:)

And for the record, I would trade V-Span for Scola and Francis every day of the week, including Sundays.

DD

13. BEXCELANT

BEXCELANT Member

Tell ya what. Manu is wild and a turnover machine too but he plays and he's a force for them. Spanouils plays in a similar style to him. Yet for some reason, Pop found a way to play Manu. JVG is an idiot who glued him to the bench.

14. GoatBoy

GoatBoy Member

Big deal. Vasilli Spanilli sucks. If he ever scores 20 points in an NBA game, I will kiss a donkey's ass on national television. For reals.

I don't know why any team would touch him with all the drama he's created.

15. BEXCELANT

BEXCELANT Member

and...lol they locked up the other thread and what's funny is that this is the continuation of the first thread!! :D

16. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Whooopp - there it is

Rocket River

17. Guru

Guru Member

Who cares what Spanoullis does now, or what JVG did...bottom line, the team has moved on. Let's start looking at the future!

18. slowmustang

slowmustang Member

I thought his mom was crying....wanting her son back? :confused: :D

19. Pistol Pete

Pistol Pete Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Troy Hudson is going to the WWE to become King Booker's mini me.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

20. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Author: Bill Ingram