1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

UTSA vs Houston

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Fulgore, Aug 25, 2014.

1. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

FWIW he coached the team in their win over Penn State.

But yeah, his overall record is terrible.

2012 was a train wreck, and 2013 we lost to every team we played over .500, IMO he has to win 10 games or the conference this year or he should be sent packing... too bad our AD gave him an extension for no friggin reason.

2. Teen Wolf

Teen Wolf Member

Lol I'm a uTSA alumni, so no I'm not butthurt. I know class most be foreign to you.

3. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

I've never liked the Levine hire. I was surprised that they had a decent year last year but it didn't really change my opinion of him. Almost all of their wins came against bad teams. Looking back at Rhoades history with UH and Akron, he's good about raising money and building stadiums but hasn't been good when hiring coaches and building winning programs.

4. Hustle Town

Hustle Town Contributing Member

Newsflash: UH (not "U of H") is superior to UTSA academically.

5. Hustle Town

Hustle Town Contributing Member

Also, about the game, I was disappointed for UH. I was hoping y'all would have a good opener in your new stadium.

Oh and to answer Bob Barker 007: UH's loss to UTSA is about the same as UT's loss to BYU. UT: complete ineptitude on defense. UH: complete ineptitude on offense. UT fired Manny Diaz after the BYU game, and Travis Bush better be fired after this fiasco.

6. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

The game was embarrassing.

7. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

I'd say fire Travis Bush but honestly we backed ourselves into a corner with him.

Who would be next in line? Dan Hammerschmidt? Jamie Christian?

Ugh. Fire Levine and Bush at season's end, promote Gibbs, and bring back Kendal Briles or Jason Phillips to run the offense.

Or hell, go for broke and throw money at Phil Fulmer.

8. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

UH can look at Akron to see what their future will look like...struggling to fill a new stadium.

9. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

6-6 might get Levine another season but with a new OC. That would be 4 in 4 years he shouldn't get a chance at 5. It was beyond idiodic for Levine to give Bush another chance calling plays after 2012 and how god awful we looked in the bowl game.

The last 2 games with Bush calling plays we have been shutout 6 of 8 quarters and only 1 meaningless TD in one of those quarters.

10. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

That's what happens when you only win 1 game three years in a row.

Luckily for us, Rhoades didn't hire that guy at Akron.

11. J.R.

J.R. Member

Bring on Case! :p

[rQUOTEr]Houston: It's hard to know when the phrase "Coogin' it" made its way into the lexicon of Houston sports fans. Maybe it was losing the 1983 NCAA basketball final, when a Houston team with two of the top-50 players in the history of the sport lost to N.C. State. Maybe it was 1990, when David Klingler led the Cougars to No. 3 in the nation before crashing back to earth at Texas. Either way, it's scary how often this athletic department has appeared on the cusp of something big over the years before "Coogin' it" and sending their fans into trauma once again.

The latest example? Friday night. Houston opening a new $120 million on-campus stadium. A defense that returns pretty much everybody and a quarterback who looked like a potential star last year as a true freshman. Hopes of winning an American Athletic Conference title and getting into a major postseason game for the first time since the 1984 Cotton Bowl. After an entire offseason of anticipation for that, Houston laid an all-time egg, losing 27-7 to a Texas-San Antonio program that didn't even exist until 2011. Houston had just 208 yards of offense, committed six turnovers and really couldn't have looked worse. That's "Coogin' it."

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...-colorado-south-carolina-iowa-state/14904849/[/rQUOTEr]

12. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

Coogin' it?

[​IMG]

13. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

As opposed to throwing cash at Briles or Sumlin? Maybe we should just lower our expectations to match our stadium size. Throw money at some top in-state high school coaches at coordinator positions then see if Phillips wants to help his alma mater and mentor for a few years.

14. Poloshirtbandit

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/_bF8pYoGmCE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

15. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

We didn't have the dough to pay for Briles at the time, and Sumlin didn't want our money.

Fulmer, on the otherhand, has expressed serious interest in taking recent head coaching vacancies at Louisville and UConn.

Seems like a more realistic target.

16. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Ah yes, dated irrelevant memes. "Who's houuse?"

17. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

Yeah, he just hired a guy who went 30-42.

18. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

They rebuilt a stadium and doubled the amount buildings on campus over the last decade, the Levine signing should have been clue enough that we don't have the cash. Speculatively speaking, I honestly wonder if we could be in some kind of a TSU situation fiscally down the road. Obviously one multi-year guaranteed contract wouldn't cause that, but U of H is about tuition, financial aid and research dollars based on a built-in enrollment base due to location, we will never make any real money from football.

19. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

To be fair I think having a flag football offense and paying players two years after the death penalty is probably what Coog'd it in the late '80s-early '90s, not one passing loss against a perennial conference powerhouse.

20. Poloshirtbandit

I'm not much of a college bball fan but I thought they should have remodeled Hoffheinz first. Making the basketball program relevant might be an easier task than football.