1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

UT's Aldridge is going pro

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by BigSherv, Apr 10, 2006.

1. askball

askball Member

I see Aldridge becoming more of a Marcus Camby than Channing Frye. He's long, active, hits the offensive boards, has a nice turnaround jumper, just a solid all-around player who could blossom into the next marcus camby minus the injuries. He'll be gone by the top 5 at the latest so I wouldn't mind trading SS and our #1 for a chance to move up and get him.

2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

He ain't ready and he is VERY soft....doesn't have that killer instinct.

If you put PJ Tucker's spirit in Aldridge's body you would have somthing.

Aldridge will be a nice complimentary player.....

But not good enough for a high draft pick...IMHO.

DD

3. m_cable

m_cable Contributing Member

Don't we need nice complimentary players. If we move up or if he falls, then he's got to be under serious consideration.

4. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

Dare I say it... LaRue Martin. Look him up-- first pick in 1972. Tall, accomplished, soft, nobody. Hope the Texas kid does better for himself.

5. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Aldridge is definitely rated high on potential -- he has skills, but it's what he could become that has him in the top three. He's without out a doubt making the right choice, no need to risk all that money with a blown ACL vs. N. Texas (etc). I think the Camby comparison is a good one -- Aldridge will struggle for a few years then come on strong in his mid-twenties. I think he'll be a solid player, but will never be close to a true franchise baller.

6. moonnumack

moonnumack Contributing Member

There's no sure All-Star player in the draft, IMO. That being said, the Rockets would be very well-served by drafting LaMarcus. Yes, he's young and raw, but he's got the body, the fundamentals, and the work-ethic to bloom into a really good NBA player. I see Jermaine O'Neal as a good comparison if he stays on track.

7. Fegwu

Fegwu Contributing Member

Technically, LaMarcus could be one. With the death of centers in the NBA, lets say he ends up in the Eastern conference, he could be an All Star 3 or 4 years down after Shaq and Big Ben are at the end of their careers. Same Goes for Pat O'Bryant.

Also Rudy Gay has "All Star" talent - his regression this season has made people think less of him but the kid is talented.

Do not under-estimate the Zag in Adam Morrison. He could be special.

P.S. Though I trust whatever LEs, CD, JVG and DM will eventually choose to do - I still would hope it is Brandon Roy or Bob Carney. This Bargnani kid has raised my eye brow but we will have to wait and see on him. Aldridge does not do it for me but I will not complain if he is the front offices choice.

#27 Fegwu, Apr 11, 2006
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2006
  8. hashmander

hashmander Contributing Member

I hope all the teams in front of us keep thinking less of Rudy Gay so that he can fall right into our laps.

9. dsnow23

dsnow23 Contributing Member

I agree that LaMarcus is a bit on the soft side, but he has offensive skills, good hands, and can block shots. IF he bulks up, he could be a good NBA player. If not, he'll spend a lot of time on the bench. Right now, he isn't strong enough to effectively play in the post in the NBA. I think the Rockets would be well served to take JJ Redick (not w/ a top 5 pick). The Rockets need someone who can take the pressure off of McGrady and Yao. Sure, he might not be the greatest defensive guard in the league, but he's not as bad as most people seem to think.

10. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

This is no surprise. Aldridge would have to be an absolute idiot to stay in school. His stock won't ever be higher. In fact, if he came out next season, he probably wouldn't even be the first Longhorn selected. Kevin Durant would have been getting a whole lot of the touches Aldridge saw this season and might just straight up outplay him.

11. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

you guys keep calling lamarcus soft, but i don't agree. he is inconsistent, not soft. he is a hard worker and i think the camby comparison is a very good one.

12. sydmill

sydmill Member

cant argue with millions of $...i also see lots of good things in his future but i think another year of school would have helped make him ready. this guy has all the tools to be an allstar just needs to be more aggressive.

13. dsnow23

I watched about 80% of UT games this year. And games in which UT played against more respectable teams such as Duke, Tennessee, and LSU, Lamarcus looked soft. He even looked soft against the aggies. I don't question his work ethic and if it's as good as Rick Barnes says it is, then there's a good chance he could bulk up and play with the big boys. But for now, if he needs to hit the weight room. He isn't half as tough as PJ Tucker. I also think he'll end up being a better offensive player than Camby ever was.

14. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

We played like crap in those 3 games, while Aldridge did disappear somewhat, the entire team played bad.

He definitely needs to hit the weight room but the guy bangs inside. He gets a ton of points from offensive rebounds and putbacks.

15. dsnow23

I'd say he's better at jumping higher than most of his opponents. Also has good hands which helps him grab rebounds (unlike my favorite 7'5 center). I don't think he'll be much of a banger next year in the NBA unless Greg Anderson becomes his personal trainer.

16. apostolic3

apostolic3 Member

Keep in mind there is a big difference between work ethic and toughness. Players such as Vince Carter have always been extremely skilled and talented because they work hard on their game during the offseason and practice. But when the going gets tough during games, some of these same players wilt and don't perform well under duress. VC may no longer be a good example of this but earlier in his career he was the poster child for wimping out in the playoffs despite how talented he was.

From what everyone says Aldridge is a VERY hard worker off the court and I have little doubt he will improve his skillset and physical strength during his NBA career. But this does not guarantee he will perform well at a the NBA level.

The NBA is also a mental and physical meat grinder and some players never adapt to having to put out strong efforts 82 games per year, 4 games in 5 days, etc. That's why the NBA draft is such a "box of chocolates" figurately. You just don't know which players will keep improving and which ones will get tired when the game they love turns into really really hard work.