1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

UTAH STUNNED

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Clutch, May 10, 1999.

1. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

I still say they'll win that series, but WOW! Props to Sacramento for not taking the physical cheap shots the Jazz dished out all night.... any team that retaliates and stands up to Utah's cheap ass tactics seems to do much, much better against the Jazz.

------------------
    Clutch

NO DRUNK COACHING ALLOWED
    Clutch City Online
    www.clutchcity.net

2. Rockfan

Rockfan Contributing Member

and the Jazz, despite shooting under 40% still got 29 free throw attempts...
    - last time Kings were in playoffs they lost to Seattle in 4 after winning the 2nd(?) in Seattle...but I hope they can pull this series out...BTW: wouldn't it be nice to have a 6'9" power foward play Malone, like Webber? Damn right it would be nice!

------------------
    "The barely-concealed excitement when Kobe makes a halfway-decent play"
    - Brian Kagy on Bob Costas

[This message has been edited by Rockfan (edited May 10, 1999).]

3. Rockfan

Rockfan Contributing Member

Posted twice, so I may as well add a bit:
    Utah sucks.

[This message has been edited by Rockfan (edited May 10, 1999).]

4. Charlie

Charlie New Member

Clutch, I am not that sure that Utah will win!! Saccramento is pumped up now, anything can happen.
    Anyway, that was a great game by the Kings. I am happy for them and for CWeb.
    Malone showed tonight how dirty he can be!!!

5. Charlie

Charlie New Member

Clutch, I am not that sure that Utah will win!! Saccramento is pumped up now, anything can happen.
    Anyway, that was a great game by the Kings. I am happy for them and for CWeb.
    Malone showed tonight how dirty he can be!!!

6. JVoss

JVoss Member

I could only watch a little at a time for fear that I would jinx the Kings. Great game and inspired effort to take the Jazz down on their own court. Gotta love it.

I'm really hoping they can at least push the Jazz to 5 games.

7. Orion

Orion Member

Is there an echo? [​IMG]

Hooray for the Kings!!!

------------------
    Stay Focused
    ORION

8. JVoss

JVoss Member

By the way, Rockfan, I still remember that Kevin Willis was great against Malone. Too bad he's gone.

9. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

I watched this game, seriously, just in shock seeing how much Karl Malone gets away with. He THREW Vlade Divac when they were fighting for a rebound, and when Vlade approached Malone about it the ref jumped in and pushed Divac back. NO technical.

If you also watch (and I know most of you don't need a reminder on this), EVERY DAMN TIME Stockton has the ball Malone comes from the high post and LITERALLY takes out whoever is guarding him. I mean no feet set ... not even an ATTEMPT to set his feet. On one particular play it was obvious -- he did a football maneuver, jumping from side to side as the guard he was trying to take out became slippery, and put both of his arms up and TOOK out the guy.

It's ridiculous ... really. I invite you to watch this without the Rockets involved so you're not emotionally attached... just observe. It's amazing what he gets away with.

Anyway, enough about that. Congratulations to the Kings. I think they're a VERY erratic team so I don't count on them taking this series whatsoever, but this certainly may have planted some seeds of doubt in the Jazz' minds.

------------------
    Clutch

NO DRUNK COACHING ALLOWED
    Clutch City Online
    www.clutchcity.net

10. Charlie

Charlie New Member

The Kings may be sometimes erratic, but if they can sustain this type of effort the next two games, adios UTAH.
    Sacramento gives the Jazz a lot of matchup problems and I am not sure that they will have answers for them in this series.
    Anyway, what a great pick by Webber on Stockton in the second half!!!! And it was a legal one..!!!! [​IMG]

11. Bobby

Bobby Member

Every now and again, justice is served. Tonight in SLC was one of those times. Props to the Kings! Did anyone else see Stockton get leveled by Weber - about damned time! I agree - the Jazz get away with not only illegal picks, but holding, etc. I was so happy to "hear the silence" at the end of the game. Obviously, I'm pulling for the rockets all the way, but if fate intervenes and they don't, then I'll cheer for anybody but Utah.

12. BoyhoodDream

BoyhoodDream Member

Don't you guys hate the Jazz fans? Everytime Malone or Stockton falls to the ground they boo, even if it's there own faulty. I know other teams do that too, but not to the extent where it's so rediculously obvious.

Man, I have never cheared for another team as much as I did for the Kings tonight. What a great win.

And JVoss you are right on about how I feel watching games. I figure if I watch it I'll jinx the team.

13. On an even dirtier note from Karla, anyone catch in the 4th quarter when Carla grabbed Vlade by the arm and threw him to the ground? Vlade landed on his shoulder weird and sat on the floor for about 2 mins. Funny how the replay was edited so it didnt show Carla throwing him. If you didnt catch it real quick like you didnt get a replay. A foul was called but this action definitely warranted a flagrant foul. Also why is it that announcers seem to think its funny to talk about Malones "bows" in joking manners to who he has hurt.
    "Malone is known to lead with his bows, just ask Joe Kleine." It was said in a joking manner. What the hell. Since when is it a joke that a player (and many others) was hurt and needed plastic surgery to fix his face????
    On another note watching The Kings play, i was in shock to see such heart and fire. I would go as far as to say It would not be embarassing for us to watch the tapes of this game. We might just learn that when someone drives and penitrates and additional cutter will ALWAYS get a good shot. This strategy will beat 2 teams in the west The Lakers, and the Jazz.

------------------
    "Do you smell what the ROCK'S cookin'?"

14. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

If you weren't so biased against the Jazz, Clutch, you would recognize that Malone's picks are absolutely legal according to both the letter and spirit of the rules clearly set forth in the 1999 NFL manual.

15. Coach AI

Coach AI Contributing Member

A horrible night all the way around for the Jazz. Even their press was bad: Anyone see the TNT postgame show?

I've never much liked Terry Cummings, but I have to give him credit tonight. He was a guest on TNT, and when asked about the Kings chances once the series goes back to Sacramento, he said something like: "...the Kings will have a lot of obstacles to deal with: for example the refs give the Jazz a LOT of breaks..."

I had to crack a smile at that. Sure, we all know it...but you don't hear it said on national TV too often.

16. Elienator

Elienator Member

Another play Karla got away with was when Webber was driving basline in the fourth and Karla just grabbed his shirt as Webber went by. Webber was then fouled by another of the Spazz, but Karla obvisouly fouled him way before the call.

17. ELCUJO

ELCUJO New Member

The Kings are fun to watch...especially when they beat the jazz.

18. bartleby

bartleby Member

Is it just me or did the play of the Kings last night remind me of the 1995 Rockets championship team?

19. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

The guy who wrote the story for the Associated Press that appeared in the Chronicle this morning seemed positively giddy about Stockton getting hammered by Webber. I found that really humorous.

20. JVoss

JVoss Member

"I invite you to watch this without the Rockets involved so you're not emotionally attached... "

Clutch, every time I watch the Jazz I'm emotionally attached. I HATE watching the way the Jazz play and the crowd drives me absolutely crazy. So I can't watch to closely.

I like the matchup problems the Kings give the Jazz so it makes it a little easier. I love watching Jason Williams. He must give Stockton nightmares.

Weber's pick on Stockton was great. Remember the pick Charles had on Stockton? I don't remember which game it was, but it was a classic and he was dazed the rest of the game.