1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Utah signs Spanish guard Raul Lopez

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by LakerMania, Sep 26, 2002.

1. LakerMania

LakerMania Member

http://espn.go.com/nba/news/2002/0926/1437215.html

Thursday, September 26

Lopez gets deal; will have surgery this weekend

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Associated Press

SALT LAKE CITY -- The Utah Jazz have signed injured point guard Raul Lopez to a three-year contract, Jazz vice president Kevin O'Connor announced Thursday.

Lopez, a 2001 first round draft pick from Spain, initially injured his knee after playing four games for Madrid's Spanish League team in 2001. He returned to finish the season but reinjured the knee in an exhibition with the Spanish National team in August.

Lopez, 22, suffered a lateral meniscal tear as well as again tearing the anterior cruciate ligament in his right knee. He is scheduled to have surgery in Salt Lake City on Saturday and will most likely miss the entire 2002-2003 season.

In a statement released by the team, Lopez said he was happy to finally join the Jazz.

"Although I'm very disappointed with the injury, surgery will allow me to enjoy a long career in the NBA,'' Lopez said.

Jazz director of media relations Kim Turner said the signing deal had been a long process and the Jazz were glad to have it done.

"We wish he wouldn't have gotten hurt the second time," Turner said. "We wouldn't have felt confident signing him if we didn't think he would recover."

The Jazz aren't releasing the exact terms of the agreement, and Turner said Lopez was getting the "basic rookie salary," but he didn't say what that was.

The team is expected to give a medical update on Lopez within the next two weeks.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------

That's the second injury-prone rookie that they have signed. I hope they know what they are doing. :(

2. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I'm surprised that you are concerned about the Jazz since your name is LakerMania.
    Rocket Fans couldn't care less about the welfare of the Utah Jazz.
    I don't want anyone to get injured but I detest that team.

3. LakerMania

LakerMania Member

What's the point of having an NBA forum then if it's not meant to talk about other teams? Besides, if the Rockets have a shot at making the 7th or 8th spot in the West, the Jazz will almost definitely be right there competing with the you guys for said spots.

4. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I'm not saying that we shouldn't discuss things about other teams.I was surprised that you were concerned about the Jazz since I assumed you were a Laker Fan.