1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

UT-Houston?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Scarface281, Nov 9, 2015.

1. Scarface281

Scarface281 Contributing Member

The funding should be made fair, but those universities aren't enough for the Houston area.

You can't forget the Cal State system either. Even though their universities aren't as highly ranked as the UC system, there is one is almost every significant metro area.

I remember a long time ago there were plans to build a UT school in Pearland. This was maybe ten years ago.

#61 Scarface281, Nov 11, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2015
  2. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Not sure if you understood what I'm saying. Rice with cash in hand is ready to buy out the entire Baylor School of Medicine. That is the #1 School med school in Houston. Not UT. The negotiations stopped, because Rice realized they price was falling. This article sounds like UT is coming to the table late, and they are using the media. You won't beat Rice/Houston money that way. You will need to deal with the Rice Board of Governors, if you want a school in the Medical Center.

Do you know who the original Rice colleges are named after? Do you know the history of Texas money?

Rice wants as much adjacent land around them as them can buy.

For instance, Rice owns at least half of the The Rice Village...if not much more.

3. heypartner

I get infuriated when people from Houston disrespect the heritage of Houston and Rice University...which is an affront to the history of Texas. This thread is yet another example

What a really stupid comment, Cohete Rojo. You do know Texas history, don't you. William Marsh Rice.

Oh, and by the way, you freaking idiot Carnegie was not Oil...he was steel

Look up Carnegie, then look up William Marsh Rice, and these guys from Texas

These guys are who we named colleges after at Rice.

James A Baker
    George R Brown
    Jesse Jones
    Harry Clay Hanszen
    Sid Richardson
    Harry Carothers Wiess
    Edgar Odell Lovett

I get really annoyed when Texans deny their heritage by denying Rice University.

#63 heypartner, Nov 11, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2015
  4. heypartner

I'm going to throw one other thought out there.

Why is there not a UT-Houston out there right now after all these years?

It's because Rice Board of Governors and all their oil money have a historical agreement with UT. A very very long time ago, UT Governors agreed the Rice Institute would not be competed with by other Texan schools.

We all decided that Rice Institute would be the Texan challenge to the Yankees.

This is true history that I'm telling you.

This is also how we go NASA. Because Texas was 100% behind Rice University's Physics, Engineering and CompSci departments and Houston, to land NASA!

5. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Public high schools are about your kids, public universities are about your economy. If you've ever driven around Louisiana, Arkansas, New Mexico or Oklahoma, you should understand what's at stake when Houston and Texas slacks off on engineering, technical, finance or healthcare education and training; both in terms of educating our populace and attracting talented professionals and youth.