1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

UT Football Thread

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Rockets1616, Aug 17, 2011.

1. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

As an Aggie, I hope so. That is the very reason they hired Fisher, and his first recruiting class is looking very impressive. Fisher focused heavily on recruiters when picking his staff and he has strong appeal. But I don't disount the lure UT has in the state, when playing well. Which, I have to admit, UT is definitely doing currently. The OU game will be critical for them. Conversely, A&M needs to finish strong, in what is looking like an increasingly tough SEC. The Kentucky game, for example, is certainly no gimme win, and Auburn and LSU loom ahead as well. I initially thought they might finish around 8-4 or 7-5 as well, since it takes a while to get a program going. That may indeed be the case but it would be a disappointment for many at this point. For the recruiting battle, they will need to at least keep pace with UT, or close (you can be better but finish worse in the SEC West).

2. Buck Turgidson

Don't you dog worshippers have your own thread?

LonghornFan and mrdave543 like this.
  3. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Gbenda ranked as the No. 11 inside linebacker in the country and No. 35 overall prospect in the state, per 247Sports Composite.

#11023 gucci888, Sep 30, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2018
    whiskeyred likes this.
  4. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

Huh? If I was talking smack or something, I could see it...but I wasn't, and this isn't even a limited forum. In fact, the post I was responding too WAS talking some smack, yet you had no problem with it. But when I counter it, giving credit to UT, you've got to respond with the above? Really??

#11024 BigDog63, Sep 30, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2018
  5. Buck Turgidson

Huh? I was actually trying to respond to other guy, but I apologize and no worries. But since you edited your initial post calling me a "regular tsip":

I do, in fact, sip my tea. I'm a tsip'er just like any normal civilized person. What do yall do, pour it in a kiddie pool (don't forget your floaties!) and splash around in it?

Bob Barker 007 likes this.
  6. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

Totally agree.

7. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

Yes, I edited it...it wasn't appropriate. And if you were responding to the other guy, yes, no worries.

8. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

We're getting the full Game Day treatment this weekend:

It's an interesting choice since it's being broadcast on Fox at 11 am. I have to imagine that will diminish the crowd for the final picks and that the Game Day grew won't be allowed inside the stadium since ESPN isn't the broadcaster. But, whatever, I'm just happy that Texas is ranked and this game has the weight it deserves.

OU has opened as a -7.5 point favorite and that seems a little conservative. If Texas plays the way they did against USC and TCU, we have a shot. If the Maryland and Kansas State team shows up, it could get ugly. I'm optimistic considering Herman's record when playing good teams.

9. Hustle Town

Hustle Town Contributing Member

Big Game Tom is going to be the underdog in this one, where he seems to thrive. OU is 0-5 ATS in the last five Red River Shootouts. OU has the edge, but I'd be surprised if it's a massacre. Their defense is bad, maybe not as bad as last season, but bad nonetheless. Their best opponents so far have been Army and Baylor.

Boyd and Davis are finally getting exposed as overrated. At one point in the 2nd half, the Purple Wizard was targeting one of them on every play call. I'd like to see a lot more Anthony Cook and Jalen Green (if he's ready). And no Boyce. Locke sucks. It would be great if we could replace him with Foster in that nickel position. I have no idea what everyone sees in Hager. The guy doesn't do fundamental things right: he can't contain, he can't stop the run...he gets lost out there. Let's stop chasing windmills and put someone solid in there.

#11029 Hustle Town, Oct 1, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2018
    Bob Barker 007 and mtbrays like this.
  10. Bob Barker 007

Y'all ready?

TexasRedd and Hustle Town like this.
  11. Bob Barker 007

Anyone else have a tradition of going to the game? It'll be my sixth in a row.

Hustle Town likes this.
  12. Hustle Town

Hell yeah brother, cheers from Iraq.

mtbrays and Bob Barker 007 like this.
  13. TexasRedd

TexasRedd Member

One day I’ll make it out to a game. I always have to work.

14. TexasRedd

TexasRedd Member

Hustle Town and peleincubus like this.
  15. Hustle Town

Good stuff. Ehlinger’s name is misspelled once (sorry, I’m anal about spelling). Other than that, I think it’s good. I think you could go into more details about specific matchups or players that stand out to you.

TexasRedd likes this.
  16. Major

Major Member

17. Hustle Town

Major likes this.
  18. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

raining threes, Major and Hustle Town like this.
  19. Buck Turgidson

20. Major

Major Member

I disagree. Texas Tech was irrelevant before him, interesting with him, and then again irrelevant after him, and he's turned around an awful WSU program. I think both his head coaching gigs have been phenomenally successful. I'm not sure his system (or demeanor) would translate at elite programs, but he's great at what he does: make middle-tier or low-level places relevant and exciting. I think WSU is thrilled with consistent 8-4 or 9-3 and some big upsets over ranked teams. They are a play away from being 5-0 this year after being top-10 USC and top-25 Stanford last year.