1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

UT Football Thread

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Rockets1616, Aug 17, 2011.

1. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Had Kyler Murray transferred to UT they would give Bama a run for their money.

2. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

Next week might get ugly if we can’t find an answer for Murray.

tinman likes this.
  3. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Really happy we won today. As the “Texas hasn’t won in Manhattan since 2002” stat would attest, that was a really difficult game. It’s hard to believe that Kansas State came out with that starting QB when he was totally one dimensional. Texas got lucky breaks needed to win on the road, like the K State receiver dropping an open TD in the end zone to end the first half. Make no mistake, this was a game that Charlie’s teams would’ve lost.

If you’d told me at the start of the season that the Longhorns would be 4-1 heading into the Red River Shootout, I would’ve gladly taken it. Bring on OU!

Kendrick Lamar, gucci888 and tinman like this.
  4. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

We play ball control

5. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Ya assuming Herman went conservative in the 2nd half with KSU’s momentum just priming for a turnover. But take away another missed TD by Ehlinger and that ridiculously failed jet sweep by Jamison, thought the offense was efficient in the first half. But efficient won’t be enough against OU.

6. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

I'll take any win over K-state, that f**king team has been the bane of our existence for a while now, even when we were perennially winning 10 games.

7. Buck Turgidson

They're going to have to make some big plays in the passing game, they have the receivers to do it.

8. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

How ridiculous. UT won't even be ranked after OU destroys them. The Big 12 is awful this year. UT loses to Maryland, barely beats Tulsa, beats a now unranked TCU team, barely beats a crappy Kansas State team and you are putting them up there with Alabama. I applaud your fandom, but no one should be that delusional about their team after a so/so win against such a weak opponent. If they had Murray they might have a chance against some of the top 20 teams, but everyone in the top 10 and most of SEC would obliterate them.

9. Swiss Roll

Swiss Roll Member

Big 12 aint even awful this year, especially when you compare them to the All Clemson Conference, The Big 2, and now the PAC with Stanford getting boatraced by Notre Dame

10. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Just because other conferences are down, doesn't make the Big 12 good. Which of these teams do you think UT would be competitive against even if they had Murray: Alabama, Georgia, Auburn, LSU, Ohio State, Penn State, Notre Dame, Clemson, Oklahoma. Unlikely to me that they would beat A&M, Florida, Kentucky, Washington, West Virginia (the only other decent Big 12 team), UCF, or Miami. Maybe awful was a bit strong, but it continues to be a weak conference with the exception of Oklahoma.

11. Swiss Roll

Swiss Roll Member

Texas takes 3-4 of the first 9 and 4 of the other 6, this team plays up and down to their level of competition, to miraculous and disastrous effect.

12. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

We'll just agree to disagree. I don't think there is any way they beat any of the first nine. Final six I give 2-3. Not pulling for it but I think Texas gets slaughtered against Oklahoma and drops out of the top 20 for the rest of the year. Kansas State, Tulsa, and Maryland are really bad teams. I think both TCU and USC are also bound for out of the top 20. I don't really think West Virginia and Oklahoma State are top 15 material, but think they too will beat Texas handily. Hope I'm wrong, I pull for all the Texas teams but I think Texas is in real trouble for quite a while with Jimbo at A&M and LSU's resurgence. There only hope is to find a big name head coach from somewhere. Herman can't cut it against the big boys.

13. Swiss Roll

Swiss Roll Member

Not too worried about LSU, they're good but even under Saban they were no threat to trash our recruiting in state when we were good. I don't really know what to think of A&M yet, they lack a win over a good opponent yet they lack a loss to a bad team (albeit a 7 point win arkansas, arguably a bottom 3-5 P5 team, accomplishes little to inspire hope). I see 8-4/7-5 for this year, continuing the greatest run of aggy football in program history.

14. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Think the aggies probably go 8-4 or 7-5 this year, but Jimbo is going to dominate Texas recruiting the next couple of years. UT will fall farther and farther behind.

15. Swiss Roll

Swiss Roll Member

Thats why year two is so important, first year coaches tend to get massive hauls due to the sheer number of scholarships offered and departing/marginalized players produced by a regime change. See: UT finishing #3 in recruiting last year. I expect Fisher to have a great recruiting season this year, through quantity (25 commits so far leads the nation) and quality. If UT goes 10-2 or 9-3 and plays on New Year's Day I expect to finish somewhere in the top 5 in recruiting. 7-8 wins in year two and you're looking at 15-25 finishes at best for the foreseeable future.

If only there were some highly televised system where these two programs could compete in to judge the quality of the teams, too bad pride cometh before money.

16. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Couldn't agree more on UT and A&M renewing their rivalry.

17. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Ya the WRs have turned it on the last few games, good to see. On the other side, Boyd and Davis need to have the game of their lives.

18. Buck Turgidson

Passrush has got to step it up, I am dubious that they can. Interior line, esp Nelson, has looked great. Agreed on the CBs.

Is Stearns ok? I haven't heard anything and didn't notice if he ever came back on the field yesterday.

Ingram is the one playmaking RB they have, he needs more than 10 carries next week.

I sure don't expect them to win, but I've been around long enough to see crazier things in this game.

gucci888 likes this.
  19. Swiss Roll

Swiss Roll Member

Stearns made it back, he was the victim of the OPI cancelled out by Boyd's hold in the 4th quarter.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  20. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

Uhhh, I'd tap the breaks on that one.

TheresTheDagger likes this.