1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

UT Football Thread

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Rockets1616, Aug 17, 2011.

1. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Unless you believed Saban or Urban would have left for UT, the pool of candidates just wasn't that strong. Look at the other hires that year, Sarkisian to USC, Franklin to PSU, Petersen to Washington, Petrino to UL. Petersen and Petrino are seemingly just now paying off but all these programs scheduled under their new coach. Same with this past season, there were multiple Top 10-15 programs looking for new HCs and the biggest hire was Richt to Miami? Timing matters.

2. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

What's the point of beating OU if you just come back and lose to a team like Baylor? Or WVU? or TCU? I mean you gotta ride a win against a ranked team high and finish the season strong. I don't have any confidence in Strong to do that.

3. gucci888

Kent Perkins arrested for DWI this morning. Idiot.

4. Buck Turgidson

You have to be ****ing kidding me.

Adios, mofo.

5. Major

Major Member

This is weird. Why beat one good team if you're not going to beat them all? So basically, if you can't go undefeated, why bother?

6. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Strong is a big character guy, and the OC hiring was great, though they spit the bit in the Cal game by not running the ball at the end there.

Defense though...got to get better.

DD

7. ItsMyFault

No my point was if you beat a good team only to go on to lose to multiple inferior teams, how does that show any progress? One game doesn't trump a chunk of games. In college football, you don't really have a lot of margin for error if you wan't to compete even for a bowl game on New Years Day. So if you beat OU but lose to OK State, Baylor, etc. then I don't know how that helps any.

8. gucci888

It does seem like a one step forward, two steps back situation a lot of times.

Been reading how Strong had to force Bedford to play guys Hill, Davis, Hager, and a few other freshman last season. As well as forcing some in game adjustments, notably against BU. I was really excited when Bedford came with but I hope a Strong doesn't wait too long to make a move at DC, whatever it may be. Thought Strong wasted his first 2 years with Watson but the defense hasn't been much better.

9. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

That Baylor Texas game was the most useless game in recent memory. Both teams had so many injuries

10. oakdogg

oakdogg Contributing Member

Hey, it was a signature win! hahaha

11. oakdogg

That ND home win is not looking all that impressive :

- Michigan State beats ND at ND;
    - Wisconsin blows out Michigan State;
    - ND is struggling against an unranked Duke team at ND.

Then, BTG said there are no Big 12 teams in the Top 15. Even if we get our share of wins this year, I don't know if that can tell us we are progressing towards elite, because we aren't playing any elite teams.

12. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

ND is 1-3 now. Got killed by Michigan State and just lost to Duke at home.

UT's opening win over them is worthless. The jump to #11 looks like the biggest poll knee jerk in history.

duwende likes this.
  13. oakdogg

Yeah, but they are undefeated in bye weeks.....

14. tmactoyao

tmactoyao Member

Just finished watching OSU-Baylor. Man, OSU really blew that chance to beat Baylor. Failed on a conversion on 4th and 1 from the 2 and then fumbled at Baylor's 2 yard line on consecutive drives. Unless we fix our defense, they're probably going to hang 50 on us and win.

15. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

ND might just not have been very good. Strong must be fired. The sooner the better.

16. Buck Turgidson

Who would you try to replace him with?

17. ItsMyFault

Les Miles.

18. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

No thanks to Les Miles. He was fired for a reason.

19. Buck Turgidson

I was asking about after this season. Ignore cubfan.

20. ItsMyFault

Who would you rather have? Especially if Herman chooses another school or decides to stay at Houston?

Yes he was fired for a reason. But sometimes a change of scenery can do a lot for a coach.