1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

UT Football Thread

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Rockets1616, Aug 17, 2011.

1. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

Just gave dick rep to everyone in the past page except for Ziggy. Let's get this circle jerk started!

1 person likes this.
  2. TheMystery008

TheMystery008 Member

I missed it!

:eek:

1 person likes this.
  3. CCorn

CCorn Member

4. Hustle Town

Hustle Town Contributing Member

I agree that defense isn't usually a quick fix, but it seems like you are highly overrating the talent and skill of the upperclassmen. Can you give any evidence for why you think that? Because right now, it seems like your argument is just that experience automatically makes older players better than younger ones.

5. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

It can be a quick fix. Remember how fast the defense turned around when they fired Diaz and gave the reigns to Robinson. The change was dramatic. The questions are if Strong really knows what the issue is and is willing to step on Bedford's toes to fix it. I sure hope so.

6. oakdogg

oakdogg Contributing Member

I was watching some press conference on LHN last night. They asked a senior player about Strong becoming more involved, and the player said Strong was already involved. He didn't seem to think Strong could be much more involved.

That's sorta not a good thing to hear.

7. davidio840

davidio840 Contributing Member

Lol. Now that is funny

8. Hustle Town

Hustle Town Contributing Member

Dramatic only in a relative sense. The defense under Robinson wasn't good; we just went from being historically awful to being only mediocre/bad.

9. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Was it Haines? If so, he probably shouldn't be saying anything at all.

10. Buck Turgidson

Or Boyette?

Haines/Hall/Evans have no room to talk.

11. Major

Major Member

Probably because he just took the Ohio State job - a job just as good as UT - a year earlier and went undefeated? Why on earth would he leave for Texas? :confused:

12. Buck Turgidson

Uh, Nick Saban? ;)

13. oakdogg

He was an African-American senior linebacker who got 2 tackles last game. He wasn't offering it up. They were asking him about it

14. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Our secondary is looking historically bad at this point, so I would settle for mediocre. I had the same feeling when the year Diaz was fired when guys couldn't make simple open field tackles.

15. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

I was talking the job that before he took Ohio State. If I am not mistaken, he was not doing any coach job because of his heart problem, he was not willing to return to the coach job until Ohio State gave his a offer.

My main point is that UT need go for the first class coach during that time, but they went for the second class one quickly.

16. oakdogg

That's key. The coach is as important to a college football team as a superstar is to an NBA team. You just aren't going to get to the top with a second tier coach. Only recent example that comes to me would be Chizik

17. Major

Major Member

At that time, the UT job was not available.

Urban Meyer seems like a horrible example, given that Florida hired him as a high-flying coach of a mid-major in Utah. It was the exact same model that UT used in hiring Charlie Strong. Or that they would do if they go out and get Tom Herman next year.

18. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

Yes, you are right on this. But if UT can beat OU again, then everything will be fine, every will be happy. If they lose the game badly, then everything will be totally different. We will see.

19. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

At that time, the UT job was the number 1 job in the college, then they just did not make a great decision on the coach hiring.

20. oakdogg

I'm not criticizing UT's hiring process so much. My man Mack Brown was not as established when UT hired him. My point is - if you don't have an elite coach, you're pretty much just wasting time. Strong looks like he could end up being a good head coach - he already was at Louisville actually. But my argument is "good" is not good enough. I am convinced Strong's not great (all the screw ups, shutout loss to Iowa State, giving up 30+ points to TCU in the 1st quarter, bunch of other examples), and great is what a program needs to do what the posters here are demanding.