1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

UT Football Thread

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Rockets1616, Aug 17, 2011.

1. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

We are getting way ahead of ourselves. Texas has had one good win so far this season and we have a freshman quarterback. I was saying 8 wins before the season. I'm hoping for more, but 8 is the benchmark.

2. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

They should get more than 8 if he continues to play like this. The Big 12 really hasn't been all that great so far.

3. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

No ****. The last page had me totally smh. 1 win vs a ranked team, in double overtime and we're already talking playoffs? lulz

4. Major

Major Member

You do realize that this is a message board and not the team itself right? There is literally zero harm in discussing hypotheticals.

5. Baseballa

Baseballa Member

I don't think this is just about our play. It's also a fair look at our conference. There is obviously no guarantee that this will continue the rest of the season, but it is not unreasonable at all to say that we have looked the best of any team in our conference through two weeks. I think it is perfectly fair to discuss that on a message board.

6. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

What exactly are you doing that requires so much effort?

7. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Any cheering for OU is effort wasted.

8. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

So, I literally know nothing about Cal's team this year. What's everyone's feelings about playing and beating them on their home field? We good? This is a message board, so I've been told, so let's discuss this.

9. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

They lost Goff and it was a close game last year. Their defense could hardly contain our offense. I'd say their offense got worse while ours got better, but it's also their home turf. I still think we're favorites.

10. Baseballa

Baseballa Member

They should be able to score some on us, but their defense is bad. Like, maybe worse than what we just faced from UTEP bad. They allowed Heard to set a program record for most yards by a QB EVER last year, and now we have a QB that can actually throw and the two headed monster of Foreman and Warren.

Remember what Warren was able to do against Tech last year? Yeah, that's the kind of rush defense we are looking at on Saturday.

If we don't suffer any more injuries and our freshman can stay focused with the super late start, then we should win pretty easily. But, as we've seen this season across the country, what "should" happen rarely does.

11. UTKaluman597

UTKaluman597 Contributing Member

Make a decent bowl game and win. Dont get embarrassed during the season. Continue to improve on offense and defense. No special team blunders. This is what I would call success for the season. Whoever is talking playoffs needs to take a step back, because we arent ready for that right now.

12. ZJP3

ZJP3 Member

It will be a tough game purely based on the fact that is our first away game and it is against a decent program and they will have a good crowd on hand. They lost Goff but got Davis Webb, a Texas Tech transfer and a solid quarterback.

They have a horrible, horrible defense that Buechele and Foreman/Warren should be able to pick apart. We are the favorites, and we are the better team but they will probably score a solid amount. It'll be a tough game but we are better and should be able to get the win.

13. ItsMyFault

Texas needs to step up on defense. 21 pts or less is what they should allow to a team like Cal. They have the talent on defense to do so. I think the offense will take care of itself given how bad Cal's defense is.

14. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

15. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This is also the domino effect of Garret Gilbert being a bust

16. ItsMyFault

That's really not an excuse for passing up on this many guys that have turned out to do well elsewhere. Mack really screwed up. Teams have bust QBs sometimes, but that's why you have a backup plan already in place with another QB. Like the article said, if they had offered J.T. along with Swoopes, he likely would've accepted anyway knowing that he embraced competition.

17. Baseballa

Baseballa Member

There is a long standing rumor on Longhorn message boards that Applewhite had actually secured Barrett's commitment, but Mack vetoed it when Major came to him for final approval for fear of potentially losing Swoopes.

18. Buck Turgidson

Expect a whole metric ****ton of running the ball, they cannot stop it. Heard may actually run the wildcat a few times, Swooooops will get his, I just hope they don't let Buechele take too many hits, he can do it but I'd rather save them for a more important game.

19. UTKaluman597

UTKaluman597 Contributing Member

They basically have a whole new team vs last year. They do have one of the NCAA's better QBs in Davis Webb, formerly at Tech. He can make all the throws. Apparently they love to use the screen game to counter the blitz and Webb is good at it, which could get our young D in trouble. Their defense isnt good and should struggle against the run, assuming our guys are as physical as they were against ND. We "should" win, but its a night game on the road and weird things happen in college football. Hoping our D shows up and the offense can churn yards with power running with deep shots to Burt/Foreman. 18 Wheeler should be effective as well.

20. Hustle Town

Hustle Town Contributing Member

Cal's defense is indeed terrible, and I think we will have a lot of success offensively. I honestly am not terribly impressed with the job Bedford does in game planning and in preparing the defense. His defensive strategy is usually complicated, but that doesn't make it effective. There are a lot of coverage lapses and predictable blitzes that lend themselves to big plays. Buy hey, 2-0. Let's see how we do against Cal and the Big XII teams.