1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

UT Football Thread

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Rockets1616, Aug 17, 2011.

1. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

Easy buddy. Quote from Charlie Strong:
    This isn't the first time the Fowler camp reported that he was all clear and ready to enroll. I certainly hope so but he should really sit with a red shirt after missing so much time.

2. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Wasn't that quote from a week ago or so? Scout reporting that UT Officials confirmed it but ya he's gonna be way behind either way.

3. vj23k

vj23k Contributing Member

He's really in. Just guessing but I think he'll play this season. We simply don't have a pass rusher like him...stole the below clip from shaggybevo. That's him against the best offensive lineman recruit in the country.

[​IMG]

4. Buck Turgidson

Agreed, use him in situational pass rush duty early on in the season and then go from there.

5. Brando2101

Was it? I'm glad it's all worked out. I really felt bad for the kid. He just needs to make his twitter feed look a little more grown up. Also, dat weight room yo.

6. Brando2101

Bobby Burton from Horns 247

Super excited about the start of the season. My hope for the game is that the offense works and moves the ball. A good showing by the defense would certainly be nice but these sub 10 point games are killer and would really start the year with a bad taste in everyone's mouth. They have a good chance if the offensive line plays well but that might be asking a lot. The guy who has been taking 1st team snaps since the early spring is out and the LG just switched positions. It could be a mess. They just need to give the QB some time to find those speedster WRs who will get open if they have 5-7 seconds to run.

There is still no word on the starter for the Notre Dame game. I feel like you have to put in Shane. If he messes up then the fans will be much more understanding then if you put in Swoops and he makes a bad decision which he is known for. It would be really sad to be on national TV and hear an entire stadium booing a 22 year old kid.

Gerrard Heard is officially a WR. Matthew Merrick is taking 3rd team snaps and poor Kai Locksley is taking punt returns.

7. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I will not understand if Strong trots Swoopes out there again to get annihilated, again, on national television against Notre Dame for the second straight year. He's fine in goal-line and rushing situations, but we can't have a third straight year of a Swoopes-led offense that struggles to score 10 points. If this is really a go-for-broke year for Strong, I'd rather see him roll the dice with Buechele than put the bumper lanes on the team with Swoopes.

8. gucci888

Read that Swoopes is handling the blitz a little better than Shane at this point so guess that could be a cause for concern. But ya I'd rather put Shane in and hand off 3 times in a row than Swoopes with a 3 and out.

9. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

At the same time you don't want to ruin a kid by putting all the pressure of saving a storied football program before he ever takes a snap in his freshman year. Everyone knows Buechele is the likely future, but you don't ruin a fine wine by opening the bottle too soon.

10. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

They're obviously going to play both QB's the whole season - if not more than 2 - it really doesn't matter who takes the first snap.

11. Brando2101

It matters if they the starter days ahead of the game.

12. gucci888

2 position changes to note. Quincy Vasser to TE and Kai Locksley to WR. Vasser probably just adds another body but think Locksley could be an impact player at WR.

13. Major

Major Member

The main thing is the impact on practice time with the 1st team. Last year, they spent the whole spring and summer with Swoopes getting the reps and then benched him halfway through the first game. Heard would have benefitted from all those reps in practice if he was going to be the QB.

14. Buck Turgidson

Saw an interesting blurb in the Austin paper early this week, Fowler is working out at ILB. I just assumed he was going to be an edge guy, has anyone heard anything else about this?

15. Brando2101

It was on 247 as well. Everyone thought the same thing about Malik Jefferson. I think they see more value in talented LB's at the ILB position. It's also the position with the least amount of depth.

16. oakdogg

oakdogg Contributing Member

Ah, Swoopes is only like what - 21? These horrible memories came from when he was 19. If he put in the work and has earned the spot, he deserves it. I'm actually proud that he has continued to compete. Most would have just given up or at least taken their foot off the accelerator.

But I agree - if all things equal, I would think Strong would go with Shane. That would really look bad to choose Swoopes in a push and get obliterated again.

17. oakdogg

oakdogg Contributing Member

That's true, but I don't know if that can be called a mistake retrospectively with Heard now a WR. I think committing to Heard was a panic move that could not be reversed from once he had that one crazy first game.

18. Buck Turgidson

Who rushes the passer on the outside? They're not exactly knee deep in talented DE/OLB.

19. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

<blockquote class="twitter-video" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">ICYMI: Here are highlights from Saturday's scrimmage! 14 days until kickoff vs. Notre Dame <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/HookEm?src=hash">#HookEm</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Believe?src=hash">#Believe</a><a href="https://t.co/sz9Vj7qSij">https://t.co/sz9Vj7qSij</a></p>&mdash; Texas Football (@Longhorn_FB) <a href="https://twitter.com/Longhorn_FB/status/767414844576325632">August 21, 2016</a></blockquote> <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

20. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member