1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

UT Football Thread

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Rockets1616, Aug 17, 2011.

1. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

I didn't say they owe anyone anything. Actually, Baylor made it a lot easier where they can sit out, enroll in Jan at another school and not lose any eligibility.

Or they can let them out of their LOI completely. Let's see what happens.

I shouldn't have made a general claim but I've seen Texas fans talking about the recruits for a couple of weeks on other outlets. I think Brando even said that he didn't want any of them so I'll concede and take back what I said. It's just frustration.

#7061 sammy, May 31, 2016
    Last edited: May 31, 2016
  2. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

There is not a single player that would voluntarily elect to go this route.

3. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Baylor's athletic program is so classy now. People are trashing Baylor just so they can get some football recruits.:rolleyes:

Give me a freaking break.

4. sammy

Rumor is that Kam Martin and Hudson are saying that they will do that if Baylor doesn't grant them an unconditional release. Who knows.. Maybe things change in the next couple of days. I've heard rumors that Kam is still on the fence. That BU tattoo though :grin:

5. sammy

They did what FSU didn't do. There are other programs being sued as we speak on Title 9 violations.

6. Hustle Town

Hustle Town Contributing Member

I do understand your frustration, but you can't blame other school's fans for discussing players who are basically free agents now and have potential value in improving their teams.

7. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

Texas isn't tearing anything down. Also, poaching implies stealing from someone's territory however if the players separate themselves from Baylor than that isn't anywhere close to what you are implying. All of these players know they have a lot of options if they can go somewhere else. It's not like the option to go to Texas is the reason they are trying to leave.

I wouldn't take any existing students but I think it's perfectly fair to talk to any 2016 recruits that are released especially since they were talking to UT during the recruiting process. This is a pragmatic discussion like talking about what coach will take over Baylor. I am very clearly on record here as to posting in the last 6 months updates to the situation and my feelings about the problem. The only competitive issues I talked about was how I was not scared of Baylor's success and trying to see them go down because of it.

I as well as many others have been completely disgusted by the culture of covering up sexual assault and allowing guys to keep sexually assaulting women because of the practice. However, this was not just an Austin outrage. There was a candlelight vigil outside of Star's house in February that people in Austin had nothing to do with. The amount of hate and blame coming to UT and Austin by Baylor fans is preposterous. These are the only 2 events that matter here:

1) Sam Ukwuachu is convicted by a Waco jury for sexually assaulting a former Baylor soccer player
    2) Baylor Regents hire Pepper Hamilton two weeks later to investigate accusations of rape culture and accusasions against Briles

No one at UT or in Austin impacted the findings in that report and had 0 impact on Briles being fired. If you want to blame the media then you should look at Texas Monthy and ESPN Outside the Lines. Thinking that Orange Bloods or talk radio personalities on local austin radio for the media backlash is silly.

#7067 Brando2101, May 31, 2016
    Last edited: May 31, 2016
  8. gucci888

I really wouldn't consider that a voluntary election at that point. But I did read a potential timeline that could really put the kids in a bind. Essentially, BU has 30 days to decide on a release, if they decline, the kids could appeal to the NCAA which could put them up to or past the 1st day of school. At that point, your scenario might be their only option outside of sticking with BU.

9. sammy

I would let them out. They all met with the interim hc today.. If they don't wanna be here..

Insert Well..Bye meme.

Baylor is still gonna be good this season and still formidable the seasons after with a Stidham-Jefferson-T Will-Dickson core.

My bad for hijacking your thread. As you were..

10. Brando2101

Penn St didn't take a huge step back. I don't see this hurting the program that much unless they lose scholarships somehow.

11. J.R.

J.R. Member

http://texassports.com/news/2016/6/...et-for-utep-tcu-games.aspx?platform=hootsuite

12. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

Texas vs OU on FS1? WTF?? I don't even know where that channel is.

13. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

That is wacked. Isn't that game usually on public broadcast?

14. Buck Turgidson

I wonder why ABC gave it up.

That sucks, that was usually a beer and bbq day out at the cabin where there's rabbit ears only.

15. sammy

Fox has good HD? Fs1 is fine actually and this means that Gus Johnson will probably call the game if I'm not mistaken.

16. Brando2101

This is the first year that ESPN (ABC) and Fox share rotating game selections. http://www.big12sports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=205680799

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">A Big 12 spokesman says Fox had the 1st and 3rd pick for games on Oct. 8. Network obviously grabbed Texas-OU and chose to put it on FS1.</p>&mdash; Brian Davis (@BDavisAAS) <a href="https://twitter.com/BDavisAAS/status/738081503708512256">June 1, 2016</a></blockquote> <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

That Texas-Notre Dame game is on a Sunday night too. Should be a lot of hype.

#7076 Brando2101, Jun 1, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2016
  17. Bob Barker 007

18. gucci888

He later tweeted that ABC/ESPN had the first pick and selected UT-ND. Fox had next 2 picks and went tOSU-OU and UT-OU.

No doubt FOX trying to use RRR to bolster ratings for FS1 which have been terrible from what I've read. Change the game to 2:30 and you have a shot.

19. Buck Turgidson

They've always wanted the game as early as possible to cut down on drunken dumbassery. Worst thing they could ever do is make it a night game, anyone who's been to a game in Baton Rouge will tell you how well that works: it's amazing how far a coonass can throw an empty Jack Daniels bottle from the upper deck, I'd hate to see what the Okies could do.

20. vj23k

vj23k Contributing Member

Wonder if they'll try to shuffle things around and move the game to Fox if Texas has a respectable record/showing up to that point. Selfishly, I would love a 2:30 start so I don't have to wake up at 8AM to make it to the fair in time for pre-game walking around.