1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

UT Football Thread

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Rockets1616, Aug 17, 2011.

1. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

They aren't waiting for the erwin center to go down to build the medical center. It's already being built and the plan is to expand it to where the current erwin center is.

2. Major

Major Member

The medical center is huge and wouldn't fit in the other location - it's already being built all around the Erwin Center. I think the first class opens up next year and at some point they will tear down the Erwin Center and build the rest of the medical complex.

It seems all horribly mismanaged. It's crazy that they are several years into knowing they need to replace the Erwin Center and still haven't come up with a plan.

3. Buck Turgidson

You know, I completely spaced that the rail plan is dead. That's the spot I was talking about, but there's no way it would work without transit from campus. Would have been awesome, though.

4. Brando2101

It's because of the government turnover and light rail bond fail. The last mayor was lightning the fire for a professional caliber arena capable of hosting a political convention and they were already talking to the statesman about clearing out of that area which they are now ready to do. The statesman land was sold to the family of the papers owners and they're just waiting for the right developer. New council that is nimby run rallied against rail bond when they were running for office and have killed any mass plan like that.

5. Major

Major Member

Thanks for the explanation - I hadn't followed the politics of it all. I will say, though - I'm REALLY glad the Statesman plan blew up. Logistically, that was one of the worst ideas of all time. Rail or not, no one north of downtown would ever make it to a 6pm game. It's insane for students to have to cross downtown in rush hour to go to a basketball game. And the logistics of that location - with only Congress and Riverside as your access points - would be a nightmare. The Erwin Center has a highway and endless roads in all directions to spread people out. The AAS land is blocked off on two sides, and the two streets that would be used are already traffic disasters around rush hour and can't really be expanded.

Putting the new arena on campus is the best possible outcome. Get more students involved and make it more of a basketball arena than some all-encompassing venue.

6. Brando2101

I agree with a lot of this but I will say it would be easier for people to get there from campus since they could take the train instead of making that walk to Erwin which takes longer than you think. Trains don't have lights and they only stop at certain places. It would also be a lot easier and faster for students down riverside and north campus where the rail also runs. They're also going to vote to re-do riverside to make it mobility easier down riverside however that doesn't solve the issue of still getting down I-35. I think they would push ppl to use park and rides along the red line as well into northwest Austin and east and make the transfer at the mall or convention center but all of that is for nothing now. It would have been easier to get there using the train or just being in south Austin in all but 1 apartment I've ever lived in but that is still anecdotal.

7. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Will we get some of baylor's commits?

8. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

I'm sure we'll go after a few but more interested in seeing what happens with their 2016 commits. There were 1-2 guys that Texas went after hard and could possibly get another shot.

9. Brando2101

There was a slight chance they were going to get their OL man on signing day but he was still big on Baylor. I would say that is the only one that would be possible.

10. RocketFan007

RocketFan007 Contributing Member

Sounds like UT is the favorite for Hudson. Will also go after Bowen and Cobb.

11. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Charlie strong is looking like a hero now

12. Brando2101

Maybe DKR will flood.

<blockquote class="twitter-video" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">&quot;Go deep&quot; <a href="https://twitter.com/BleacherReport">@BleacherReport</a> <a href="https://t.co/VXkhqCOrW0">pic.twitter.com/VXkhqCOrW0</a></p>&mdash; Shane Buechele (@BGShaneBuechele) <a href="https://twitter.com/BGShaneBuechele/status/736724615368605698">May 29, 2016</a></blockquote> <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

13. Hustle Town

Hustle Town Contributing Member

I'd say he is one - he really cares about his players.
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Incoming freshmen moving onto campus this weekend. Texas Football is right around the corner! <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/HookEm?src=hash">#HookEm</a> <a href="https://t.co/RqqGZE9Nem">pic.twitter.com/RqqGZE9Nem</a></p>&mdash; Longhorn_FB (@Longhorn_FB) <a href="https://twitter.com/Longhorn_FB/status/737381573620695041">May 30, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

14. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Probably not worthy of starting a new thread but Augie resigned over the weekend. Apparently the front runners are the coaches from Florida, TCU, and Louisville.

15. Buck Turgidson

Yeah, it was time. The guys from Vandy and Virginia have been mentioned as well.

Whoever the next guy is will be the 5th UT coach in the past 105 years.

16. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Buechele throws a pretty ball.

17. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

I'm happy some Texas fans are showing what this was mostly about for them. Tearing down our program while poaching on our 4 star recruits after what was the best recruiting class in Baylor history.

Guys like Cobb are meeting with the interim coach today so don't drool too hard just yet. You're the type that would try to smash on the widow while the husband is being buried.

18. Bob Barker 007

And you were happy to confirm that bias that you have toward UT fans regarding this situation. Why don't you go paint with a broad brush on your own thread?

1 person likes this.
  19. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

I'm certain that we will lose our recruits (Hudson, Duvernay twins, Martin, Cobb, JP).. It's a bit frustrating to see fans semi-gloat about it.

Also, Baylor did these guys a solid by announcing the news. They could have easily waited until they enrolled yesterday making it much more complicated for them to transfer out.

20. Hustle Town

Hustle Town Contributing Member

Excuse my language, but this is bullsh**. I get that you're understandably a little bitter about this whole situation, but this scandal transcends football. Do I need to remind you that several women were victimized, and the university/AD covered it up? That's awful. Now regarding football, these players have a tough decision to make as to where they want to go to school, and I hope they will consider it carefully and ask for wisdom from their families. They have every right to choose Baylor, Texas, or any other school they think is best for them. They don't owe you or any other football fan sh**.

1 person likes this.