1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

UT Football Thread

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Rockets1616, Aug 17, 2011.

1. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

It would be in UT-Austin's best interest to grab this former Rice Owl offensive coordinator.

2. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Herman is a stud and I think you'll hear his name mentioned for some big time programs this summer.

If Charlie doesn't get a 3rd year, it will be interesting to see if Herman is in the conversation. Hard to see UT handing over the keys to HC with one year experience, but we were ready to hand things over to Muschamp a few years back.

3. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

4. Newlin

Newlin Member

Herman seems to be the perfect candidate for the UT job. He spent a couple of years at UT as a graduate assistant. He spent much of his career coaching at several Texas colleges, so he knows the state and has connections. Was offensive coordinator with national champion Ohio State. Looks like he's going to have a fantastic season at UH. What's not to like?

5. Buck Turgidson

You're talking about Major Applewhite, right?

6. oakdogg

oakdogg Contributing Member

I can't believe you guys are so soft on this Kris Boyd. This guy gets it:

http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/co...ything-red-river-showdown-has-seen-before.ece

Not punishing Kris Boyd is total hypocrisy. His 4 star talent might help some in the short term, but not punishing him is going to have a much worse long-term effect.

To those of you saying he is only a "kid". 18 year olds have and should have a lot of responsibilities in our society - voting, fighting in wars, etc. Had Boyd been on Omaha Beach, he'd be waving a Nazi flag when approaching the beach from the water. Stuff gets tough, jump sides. F*k that b*ch.

7. Major

Major Member

Good thing he's a football player instead of a soldier. Besides, you have no idea what punishment he may or may not have gotten - I doubt that would ever be made public.

8. oakdogg

Well, according to the article, Bedford said they aren't punishing him. He's starting in the game. What other punishments are available? Go Mike Leach on him? Doubt it..

Considering how freaking public the negative press on the Horns was as a result of Boyd's idiocy, the punishment (if there is one) sure as hell should be public! The prevailing narrative is - Values Are More Important Than Winning.....Until Strong's Job Is On The Line. How can the public conclude anything other than Strong is a hypocrite?

And this Boyd clown did not learn his lesson. After "apologizing", he put out a tweet calling out the negative reaction to his action. What an entitled piece of.......

9. Buck Turgidson

How long have you lived in Austin?

10. oakdogg

I don't follow???

11. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Sounds like an extension with Nike is a done deal. Not sure why we wouldn't at least meet with UA but sounds like Perrin didn't want to start a bidding war out of good faith to Nike. I will wait to see the figures to pass judgment but don't see why you wouldn't hear all options.

12. Major

Major Member

Outside of suspensions, which are public by nature, I don't think Strong has ever made punishments public. (It could involve extra film time or additional workouts or whatever else.) I'm not sure that Strong is terribly concerned whether the public sees him as a hypocrite or not. He's not Mack - I don't think he cares much at all what people think of him. Win, and he stays. Lose, and he'll be fired in 2016, most likely. The rest doesn't matter too much.

13. oakdogg

Does public opinion not affect recruiting? If public opinion doesn't matter, why leak all that stuff about his Core Values in the first place?

14. Harden2Dwight

Harden2Dwight Member

LMAO get real...Herman not leaving Houston for UT in 1 year. Maybe next year if he has a good season, but after this year? NO. Hell it might not even be after next year either.

15. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Swoopes almost screwed up there. A bit lucky.

16. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Interesting development

I would let swoopes run that play until they stop it next drive.

Then play action same run and take a shot.

17. Major

Major Member

I'm not sure not suspending a dumbass player for tweeting at halftime is going to be what decides whether a player is coming to Texas or not. I think the "core values" stuff has much more impact on recruits' parents.

18. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

That ball was out.

19. Buck Turgidson

Signs of life! Like the gameplan on offense so far, and the defense is bringing it.

Poona Ford is a player.

20. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

it looked like it was coming out on the white stripe. it was called a TD by the ref so it stayed that way.