1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

UT Football Thread

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Rockets1616, Aug 17, 2011.

1. emoreland

emoreland Contributing Member

ND's OL is doing whatever they want....this is gonna get uglier :(

2. desihooper

desihooper Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Also can't have busts like that in the secondary like they did on that last TD.

3. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Notre Dame may be legit good, so I'm gonna try and reserve judgement.

But if this team is as bad as they look, Strong won't make it past this season. We look painfully overmatched.

4. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

No way he gets canned that quickly.

5. Harden2Capela

Harden2Capela Member

its starting to look like bridgewater made charlie strong look good, and bill o brien made christian hackenburg look like a top 5 pick

6. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

I don't think so either, but if he doesn't improve the team, he's going to lose a lot of the faith and support he had. Dumping him after 2 seasons will look bad for the program.

7. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

Man Strong looked mighty sad at the end.

8. samtaylor

samtaylor Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Texas coach Charlie Strong says nothing wrong with Heard. And he didn't watch Swoopes much &quot;because I was so pissed off with the defense.&quot;</p>&mdash; Brian Davis (@BDavisAAS) <a href="https://twitter.com/BDavisAAS/status/640361518710833152">September 6, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

9. Cold Hard

Cold Hard Member

Strong and his staff may be in over their heads at Texas.

10. ooooaaaah!

ooooaaaah! Member

Swoops is awful, and he kept playing him. I thought with all the cleaning of the house he wasn't scared but I for the life of me can't understand why he keeps putting Swoops out there. Too conservative on defense, not enough blitzes and the walk-on safety is awful as well. Not playing Gray on long plays is not smart either. A lot of stupid going on the coaching side

Number 40 Naashon Hughes and Malik Jefferson looked great of defense.

No matter what the results this year, there won't be a coaching change. This team was in really bad shape. Another year of adding guys like Huges and Jeferson will go a long way. The O line is still too young and they need a QB in the worst way.

11. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Is he dumb? He expects the defense to hold up when the offense can't get 150 yards? He's got his priorities mixed up.

Dark times for Texas football

12. ooooaaaah!

ooooaaaah! Member

YES!!! I hate when the defense gets blamed and they are stuck out for the whole game and they have to deal with bad field position. I'm a bit concerned by the comments. Swoops must have naked pictures of Strong's wife because there is no reason to stick by him this way.

13. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

I'm not a UT fan, but I'd like to see them do well rather than any of the other Texas schools, I guess. It's pretty apparent that Strong is in over his head. I know it's only his 2nd year, but it shouldn't be this bad. Not even close, really. He's probably safe this year, but he'll be cut loose if next year isn't a drastic improvement, because people at Texas aren't going to wait around.

14. Hustle Town

Hustle Town Contributing Member

Really disappointing performance tonight. It's not even about losing; it's the fact that we showed zero improvement over last season. The defense looks much worse, especially on the line. I guess I assumed Jackson and Reed would step up, but I can't really say I'm surprised that they aren't. Jefferson is even more talented that I expected. He's the real deal and was the biggest bright spot of the game. On offense, Perkins and Flowers are still awful. Williams and Vahe were outmatched by a good ND defense, but it was their first start so they get a pass from me. Other freshman like Boyd and Burt also flashed their potential when they had a chance. The coaching continues to be the biggest issue for me. Watson/Wickline make terrible play calls and refuse to adjust to their offense's few strengths (or hide weaknesses). Why Jonathan Gray wasn't used more is baffling to me. Strong doesn't seem able to make tough personnel decisions, and his lack of offensive knowledge is evident in his reliance on inept coordinators. I'm rooting for Strong to turn this around, but there's not much good to say right now.

15. TheresTheDagger

The type of loss that does wonders in recruiting...for Notre Dame.

National television blowout won't be forgotten by potential recruits.

16. Major

Major Member

Same problem as the Texans, although even worse since QB is even more important in college football. Until the Longhorns find a QB, they are going to look mediocre at best. I love almost everything Strong is doing, but I can't figure out why they didn't just make offers to the top 4 or 5 JUCO QB's and see if anyone bites. One year wasted with Swoopes is understandable, especially given that Ash was supposed to be the starter. A second year is ridiculous - he showed no improvement over the course of last season and no understanding of an offense or how to throw a ball accurately. Even if they thought he might improve, a backup plan was absolutely vital.

17. Hustle Town

Hustle Town Contributing Member

Do you think lacking a good QB is exaggerating most of the problems we are having? Or do you think the problems with the team are more pervasive?

18. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

it's hard to tell. from what i saw he panics just like last season. but then a lot of the plays i saw he had guys in his face on almost every play.

regardless i think the swoops era is over. you can not keep putting that guy out there.

19. CCorn

CCorn Member

UT is officially the worst school on 35. Congrats. I don't count UNT.

20. Harden2Capela

Harden2Capela Member

Bridgewater made charlie strong look good, kid should have been taken number 1 overall