1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

UT Football Thread

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Rockets1616, Aug 17, 2011.

1. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Strong filled out the remaining coaching vacancies this morning bringing over Brick Haley from LSU and Jeff Traylor from Gilmer High School. Really like both picks and think our staff has improved tremendously so far this offseason.

Couple notes on these 2 guys:

Haley - Since 2009, the LSU defensive line has accounted for over 100 sacks, over 40 turnovers while holding teams to under 120 yards rushing per game. Haley has coached double-digit linemen who have been selected in the NFL draft. He is one of the most well-respected defensive line coaches in america and a tireless recruiter.

Traylor- Has been one of the top high school football coaches in america over the last ten years. Averaging 12.7 wins a year for the last ten, Traylor's Gilmer high school team compiled a 140-15 mark during that time. He has built one of the premier high school football programs in the country. Traylor can maximize the potential within each and every player on his roster. Offensively, Gilmer runs an up-tempo spread system that puts points on everyone they play surpassing the 50-point total with relative ease. while Gilmer is often undersized up front, the have quickness, speed, and the athletic ability to beat you across the board and rely on an attacking swarming style of defense.

2. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

LSU buddies are all super high on Brick Haley. Big time recruiter.

3. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Mass Exodus from LSU this offseason. Time to see just how good Les Miles is.

4. vj23k

vj23k Contributing Member

I'd say TE was a huge upgrade (it just has to be), and DL is a wash.

5. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I definitely think he'll struggle but it depends what the new staff can do. Les isn't a great coach by himself but he's smart enough to surround himself with the right guys. In a roundabout way that actually can make you a good coach. Mack did the same thing.

6. Baseballa

Baseballa Member

You may have already touched on this, as his hire was a while back, but I also believe Norvell will be a big upgrade on Koenning.

Apparently Les rubbed A LOT of people the wrong way, especially on the recruiting trail. Also, I'm sure Norvell wants to stick it to Stoops for firing him.

7. vj23k

vj23k Contributing Member

Yeah - I've heard that about Koenning as well. Nothing specific or substantive but just random tidbits about arrogance and not being able to relate to recruits. Who knows how much of that is true, but I know he made a 1,000 yard receiver out of a 4-year benchwarmer in John Harris. With extremely shaky QB play as well.

When I heard Norvell was our target for the WR coach, I was pretty pumped because ou always seemed to have good receiver play and had recruited some big time receivers from Texas. Most of the ou fans I know weren't very high on him though, so who knows.

8. Bob Barker 007

Good news! 2016 4 star QB out of Arlington

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Blessed to say I have officially committed to the University of Texas! <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/HookEm?src=hash">#HookEm</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/BG?src=hash">#BG</a></p>&mdash; Shane Buechele (@BGShaneBuechele) <a href="https://twitter.com/BGShaneBuechele/status/570062774266503168">February 24, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

9. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

^^

I'm assuming Steve Buechele's son? Can't be that many Buechele's out there, especially those living in Arlington near the Rangers...

10. desihooper

desihooper Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

That's correct. He was probably leaning OU before committing, so time will tell if makes it to the 40 acres. I guess we know his Twitter handle to follow through next year's NSD.

11. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

After this last recruiting cycle it's become clear that the only commitments or tweets that matter are the ones on signing day.

12. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Torchy's Tacos and Might Fine in the stadium now!

13. ab0_bleedred

ab0_bleedred Member

Anyone know of a watch party or a Texas Bar that will be showing the ND game in Montreal?

14. ab0_bleedred

ab0_bleedred Member

Sorry...TEXAS/nd Game*

15. UtilityPlayer

UtilityPlayer Member

For us non UT fans, who are the guys we will know this year ?

16. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Not sure if you get NBC up there but game will be nationally televised.

17. Bob Barker 007

I'm not sure of the television setup in there, but I like the Icehouse. The Texas Star is another place that serves Mexican food and steaks. Again, I don't know if they would have tvs that would show the game. Maybe you can call one of these places.

18. Bob Barker 007

Who's 'we?' You and your Texas A&M cohort?

19. UtilityPlayer

UtilityPlayer Member

Anybody that is not a UT fan, a CFB fan who likes football. Tech fans, Rice fans, etc

20. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/wqWsiAOtb2A" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>