1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

UT Football Fans - Have you heard this yet?

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by 4chuckie, Nov 29, 2004.

1. 4chuckie

4chuckie Member

I am an Ohio State fan and pretty pumped about the the series coming up with UT (@ OSU in 2005, @ UT in 2006) but there are rumors that UT is trying to at least get out of the game next year (and I would assume that would also cancel the 2006 game). Have you guys heard any talk of that? Again it's just a rumor but wanted to hear from the other side.
    I'm guessing if true it's because SOS has been taken largely out of the BCS rankings and potentially losing a game is too big of risk.

2. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

seriously...in this jacked up system, what incentive would Texas have in playing Ohio State...or vice versa??

when you play two seasons in a row...finish 10-1 in a tough conference...and can't crack the BCS...something is wrong.

3. the futants

the futants Contributing Member

i have not heard that. source?
    the system is truly "jacked" at this point. i, too, am looking forward to playing OSU. please keep us informed if you hear any news on this topic.

4. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

Yep, with one loss spelling not just elimination from the national championship game but from the entire BCS bowl system, I'd be inclined to schedule nothing but patsies for my nonconference schedule. Zero incentive to play a game you could possibly lose.

Which is why the BCS sucks. Give me a playoff system where champions are decided on the field.

5. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Alternatively, if you can't get into the BCS bowl game with a 1-loss record against the current crappy non-conference teams you're playing, a 1 loss season with that extra win over Ohio State may just put you there. But I only root for the Horns from the standpoint that I live in Texas...if the Aggies were good and the Horns weren't, I'd probably root for A&M....that said, I'd just like to see more good games.

6. RocketFan007

RocketFan007 Contributing Member

Haven't heard this, but I know earlier in the season Utah was talking about pulling out of future games they had scheduled with Texas, citing travel costs. Maybe the money from the BCS bowl will give them enough money to stay in.

7. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Who's in a tough conference?

8. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

who isn't?? of the three top teams in the country, which isn't in a tough conference??

9. 4chuckie

4chuckie Member

I can tell you from a fan's interest it is easier to get up for a big name opponent. OSU had a series with Notre Dame which was absolutely huge. We also have a series scheduled with USC in 2007 and I believe in 2008. We also just completed a series with NC State (and yes I know NC State isn't really a big name).

As for the rumors I saw it on www.theozone.net which is an OSy website. If you go there goto forums and look down (it was posted about 10:30am est) under a post called something like "I can't wait for 9/10/05 vs Texas" and several posters said that UT was trying to get out of the game from what they heard. Again it's all a rumor I heard on that board so may be nothing to it.

As far as the BCS goes I know a loss is significant, but the bigger point is if you win your conference it gives you a chance to play in one of the games.

But I can understand it if it is cancelled, but I hope from a fan's perspective teams are encouraged to play tough non-conference schedules.

10. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

UT had a tougher schedule than Cal by every quantitative measurement, which is why they lead in every computer ranking. Scheduling a 7-4 Ohio State team wouldn't do anything to help UT in that regard. Heck, Ohio State is lower in the BCS rankings than A&M, Tech, and Ok. State, all of which Texas already beat. Anyway, UT scheduled Arkansas, which is traditionally a good program (9 wins last season) that just had a down year, and North Texas won their conference.

11. 4chuckie

4chuckie Member

Sam-
    OSU was down this year but will be a top 10 team again next year. All OSU is losing is a RB with 400 yards (Lydell Ross), a FB who was hurt all year (B. Joe), a DE who had a better JR year (Simon Frasier), a CB who was good when healthy (D. Fox) and arguably the nation's best kicker (Nugent). So 7-4 isn't good but bringing back 9 staters on each side of the ball is a ood sign for next year.

So without a doubt a OSU-UT game would be matching up two teams which will start out in the top 10-12 in the nation. There are also rumors that OSU is/was thinking of making it a night game (like the Notre Dame game a few years ago). Either way it would be a great way for both teams to play in front of a National audience.

12. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

i hope they play. one of my fraternity brothers is a huge ohio state fan.... hell, he went to the "big game" two weeks ago. his dad played for em in the 70's.

nothing would be sweeter than watching UT romp OSU at the horseshoe. it would make my semester.

13. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Not this year or last year.

Last year, being undefeated in conference play was only way for UT to go to the BCS.

This year, UT had 3 more Top 25 victories than California with a comparable non conference schedule. California played USC closer than UT played OU on the same week. This was when voters decided Cal was better than UT which is fine.

14. 4chuckie

4chuckie Member

I think you may want to clarify why UT didn't get a BCS game last year was because Kansas State beat OK in the Big 12 championship. If it wasn't for the rule about each conference only having (max of) 2 teams then Texas would have been there (I know Ohio State played in the Fiesta as the other at large bid besides OK last year).
    That being said you don't have to go undefeated to get a bid, you have to win your conference which means (in the case of UT) beating OK in your division. A out of conference loss only hurts you if you lose your conference for getting a BCS bid (winning the Ntl Championship is a different story).

This year is different though. Utah has screwed things up for Texas (and that's not even counting the fact that if USC, Auburn or OK get beat that they could bump Cal out of it as well). It's unfortunate a good team like Texas could be left out but if you want a BCS bid earn it. OSU was fortunate to get an at large bid last year because UT couldn't go, and partly because the Fiesta Bowl hoped OSU would bring a ton of fans like the year before (TN also thought they should have had that BCS bid as well, but the Fiesta chose OSU).

15. Isabel

Isabel Member

One of many problems with the BCS. Already, the first three weeks of the football season have become boring... Enormous State University That Has To Pad Its Record vs. Local Non-BCS School That Desperately Needs Money And Attendance Numbers.

On the other hand, the "body bag" games are the only thing keeping them from kicking the rest of us (have-nots) out entirely. We are too useful.

16. BrianKagy

BrianKagy Contributing Member

It's an absolute fabrication. There is no truth whatsoever to the rumors. It pops up on Ohio State sites with regularity, Texas fans hear it repeated and begin to wonder, people who know better shoot down the rumor, and then we lather, rinse, and repeat.

17. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

The trick is to schedule high-profile programs that are currently 'down'. You get the best of both worlds.

If I were a college football coach, I would schedule teams like Penn State, Notre Dame, Alabama or Nebraska. Of course, these games are scheduled 4 or 5 years ahead of time and you can never tell, but these schools seem to be on the way down, not on the way up.

18. Nashvegas

Nashvegas Contributing Member

maybe should have started a different thread...but oh well.

latest BSC rankings are out, and California (.8431) barely held on to the fourth spot, ahead of Texas (.8418).

With Cal playing Southern Miss next week...any chance we jump them even if they win? I'm not sure how much strength of schedule plays into it now.

19. halfbreed

halfbreed Contributing Member

I've heard this rumor, but that it was going to be a mutual decision. Then Mack Brown came out and said that he wanted to keep the game on the schedule. Personally, I think they should only play a 10 game season which would make room for a playoff :D

20. mduke

mduke Member

Ask Auburn how important quality non-conference scheduling is...If Castiglione hadn't have stolen Bowling Green off their schedule (replaced with The Citadel) Auburn would probably be #2 right now...