1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

UT Basketball

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by Dubious, Oct 12, 2006.

1. The Stig

The Stig Member

Myles Turner should've gone to SMU. This guy is still going to be lottery pick unless the draft combine goes bad for him.

I think y'all need to give Barnes the boot. The basketball program has completely stalled out.

2. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

I think that was the general consensus coming into last season, the program seemed dead with little talent. But then we had an excellent season, which came out of nowhere. We added big time talent like Turner, and hopes were high for this year, but we were right back to underachieving this season.

Last season seems like a fluke. I doubt there is any chance he gets fired this offseason, but one more bad season and it may become a consideration.

3. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

It's a different situation with basketball. While there is a lot of talent in the state of Texas for basketball, it's not nearly as great as it is for football.

A long shot to get a guy like Thon Maker, but I remember reading an article about Maker and the Longhorns and how Barnes biggest pitch to him should be how well Durant thrived at Texas. If by some miracle the Horns are even in the hunt for him, that's something to be said for a guy like Barnes.

I don't know who Texas would hire right now to replace Barnes anyway. Who is out there that would be a legitimate upgrade both in terms of recruiting and coaching?

LaMarcus Aldridge struggled his first season too with similar numbers. If Turner were to stay another year, I think it would be big for him. I can see a similar jump for him as LMA had in this sophomore season. Obviously they're two different players, I think LaMarcus is a bit more mobile than Turner is, but Turner has a lot of potential just like LaMarcus did so another year in college wouldn't hurt him.

4. Bob Barker 007

Hahaha, I should be ESPN's bracketologist!

5. King of 40 Acres

King of 40 Acres Contributing Member

Almost game time. Someone told me that a Barnes coached Longhorn team has never beaten a higher seed in the tournament.

6. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It's probably safe to believe any "Barnes has never ________" statement at this point.

7. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

I can't tell whether Butler is playing bad or Texas is playing good. This game is UGLY.

8. cardpire

cardpire Member

let's see what that handful of pills does for Jones lol

9. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Holmes needs to take over. Texas obviously doesn't want to take advantage of their post presence.

10. cardpire

cardpire Member

they run no sort of offense that enables them to get the ball into the post with ease. it's garbage.

a new low for barnes if they lose this with jones out of the game. he makes me nauseous.

11. RedRedemption

Butler starting to pull ahead.

12. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Texas might want to score points at some point. I feel like that might be a good idea.

13. RedRedemption

This offense looks terrible. Constant motion, but that motion leads to nothing and opens up no looks. Lol.
    Might as well just iso the post every play...

14. yo

yo Contributing Member

Way to kill your own momentum Taylor! Maddening!

15. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

UH OH

Isaiah Taylor taking over!

16. RedRedemption

That's the game.
    Need a miracle...

17. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Regardless of what happens (and, at this point, that looks like a Butler win), Barnes has to go. There is no offensive gameplan other than "Let Taylor do something." He is gassed and the team has no response to that. There is no way this program should be this consistently disappointing.

18. M.G.

M.G. Contributing Member

This Texas team has been one of the most frustrating teams to follow. So much squandered talent. I can't see Barnes surviving this one.

19. cardpire

cardpire Member

barnes is the worst basketball coach i've ever seen. have never wanted somebody canned more.

20. NBAandNFLFan

NBAandNFLFan Member

Rick Barnes makes Kevin Mchale look like Greg Popovich.... Dude couldnt even make the sweet 16 with kevin durant, damion james, aj abrhams, and dj augustin

Barnes is just stealing money at this point