1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

UT Basketball

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by Dubious, Oct 12, 2006.

1. Hustle Town

Hustle Town Contributing Member

[​IMG]

This year's team and the weather in Austin today...

2. Major

Major Member

If they could play like this every game, with a focus on Taylor relentlessly attacking and a fast-break type offense at every opportunity, they'd be a top 10 team. They'd have beaten most B12 teams today - unfortunate that they only played this way @KU.

3. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

Sooooo much talent, soooooo little to show for it.
    I am at a loss to understand.

Can you fire a coach that brings in these quality recruits?
    Can you keep a coach that can't make the conference tournament?

Does Patterson have to get Kevin Durants approval to make a change?

4. Buck Turgidson

On a team that has zero outside shooting, a bizarrely ineffective post game, but has solid depth, you'd think the staff would have recognized this.

5. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

I know prince ibeh, he's a fb friend. Seems like a nice dude. He's always selling off his UT gear for money though. Hes also a sneaker head

6. Buck Turgidson

I'm sure he appreciates you posting that. ;)

7. Major

Major Member

You'd think! I never understand why coaches aren't willing to try something different when whatever they are doing isn't working. I understand early to mid-season trying to want to mold a team a certain way, but at some point (earlier than yesterday), you have to accept that maybe a different style is necessary.

8. Buck Turgidson

This may be a topic for another thread, but since outside of UT games here and there I don't really follow college hoops until about now every year, I'll ask it here:

I think Barnes is gone. Who is a well thought of up and coming coach? Who has had great success at a mid-major? Long story short: who could/should UT be looking at? They can throw money at anybody they want, it's a great job in a great recruiting area, and whenever they hopefully get their stuff together on where and when to build the new facility....

9. Major

Major Member

No clue at all. I agree that Barnes is probably gone barring a really late turnaround here, but I have no idea who they might target.

On the arena issue, the rumor spreading like wildfire is that it is expected to be where the Austin American Statesman is now on Congress between Riverside and the river. It seems like the worst idea in the history of arenas to me - that location has only a single access point and is already congested as is. Comparatively, the Erwin Center has major streets (and an interstate highway) going in all directions around it to get people in and out. And I can't see many students trying to make the trek thru downtown for a 6pm weekday game. It's all around insane.

10. Buck Turgidson

I'd heard that idea a while ago and thought it was shot down. I thought they were serious about putting it around 35, near the football stadium? In some current parking lot? Somewhere near campus, please! Can't imagine why they'd make it more difficult for students to get to games, they struggle with that enough as it is.

Hell, they could move it further down SoCo and put it on the School for the Deaf, saw articles recently that they're talking about selling that land off too.

11. Major

Major Member

Hmm, the rumor popped up again last week from a real source, but now there seems to be a bit of backtracking - I hope his new version is right!

http://www.burntorangenation.com/20...stin-american-statesman-site-basketball-venue

12. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

It is what it is. I give the CF people what they may not know they want.

13. tmactoyao

tmactoyao Member

Good win today to keep our tourney hopes alive. Big time game winner by Isaiah!

14. NBAandNFLFan

NBAandNFLFan Member

15. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Hurts to read but it's absolutely true. Barnes has never had a dynamic offense and his teams are still consistently terrible when it comes to basic skills like free throws. Last year was a great coaching job but it's well past time for him to go. He needs to take a year off and watch basketball for a while to see what the game has become. I hope Turner stays for another year if he's happy with whomever ends up being Barnes' replacement.

16. Major

Major Member

It may be true on the draft stock of Turner, but it's a terrible article. Texas' strength is its interior defense and how all those big men make it impossible for people to score at the rim. The suggestion that we put Turner and 4 guards out there the majority of the time is horrible. Texas has good big men and not very many good guards - more Felix and Yancy is not going to do anything useful and destroys the defense. Maybe it helps Turner's draft stock, but it's not going to help win more games.

17. Major

Major Member

To follow up on this, K-State has taken 28 shots in the 1st half today. Texas has blocked 10 of them. Each of their 4 big men has at least 2 blocks. It's an absolutely relentless defense. It would be really silly to throw that away to run more bad-shooting guards out there to create spacing for Turner on offense.

18. getbloodyred

getbloodyred Member

I think any GM would understand that Myles' potential to become a star is quite high. Great touch and great defensive instincts. If he gets stronger, then his post game could be one of the best in the NBA. Texas' lack of shooters has hurt Myles' ability to dominate the paint. But anytime he has the ball, he does something good with it.

19. getbloodyred

getbloodyred Member

I think Myles Turner goes top 10 in the draft regardless, and if he doesn't the Rockets could always pick him up :)))

20. Buck Turgidson

Myles Turner is just not that good; Lamarcus he is not.