1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

UT and OU Reaching Out to Join SEC

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by MadMax, Jul 21, 2021.

1. Buck Turgidson

Shut the **** up, Cletus.

2. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

Just another hypersensitive tea-sipper. The more you protest, the more you prove the point. LOL!

3. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

What college sports team do you root for? Or are you just anti-UT? I'd guess it's the sh*tty Aggies given the t u reference. If so, my condolences.

4. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

"tu" is high-level fish camp humor

5. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

6. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

Oh you mean the basketball coach that was forced to apologize for being a little b**** about horns down? The administration admonished him bc he was being absurd. Not sure what Sark has said about it but there is no rule against horns down. There is just a rule about taunting in an opponent's face.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-b...46/texas-coach-apologizes-horns-rant-ucf-loss

7. Buck Turgidson

I'm anything but hyper-sensitive.

Old Man, let me know what your spreadsheets say. I don't know?

#1607 Buck Turgidson, Feb 8, 2024
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2024
    Marshall Bryant likes this.
  8. Buck Turgidson

My favorite Mad Men line...and I can't wait for the next UT vs ATM football game.

Because it's gonna be fun, and it's been a long time coming

Ziggy likes this.
  9. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

This. The head of officiating even clarified that it's only a penalty if directed at a player or the UT bench. RT really did himself a disservice bringing it back up though.

10. Major

Major Member

Yes, he had to apologize for it - not sure the relevance. My point is that it means something to people - clearly it did for the basketball coach or he wouldn't have gone on a rant in the first place. The football coach was the aforementioned Mack Brown who complained about it.

And yes, there is a specific rule against Horns Down:

https://www.si.com/college/texas/news/big-12-officials-horns-down-will-lead-to-a-taunting-penalty

ARLINGTON -- On Thursday morning, the Big 12 announced that there will be a new penalty added to the list this fall. Anyone opposing player who drops the "Horns Down" symbol could be subject to a penalty against them.

"Lemme put it this way," Big 12 coordinator of officials Greg Burks said at Big 12 Media Days. "If you do a Horns Down to a Texas player as an opponent, that's probably going to be a foul."

"I promise you, we discuss this every year, because you discuss this every year," Burks said. "I hope in the future that somebody else's symbols will come into play and not just the Horns."

11. J.R.

J.R. Member

Clemson joins Florida State in suing the ACC

12. J.R.

J.R. Member

13. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I want the ACC blown up. Hopefully UNC and UVA join the exit party soon. I don't know if FSU or Clemson have a leg to stand on but we'll see.

14. gucci888

Was just a matter of time before others stepped in. Not sure when something happens but they’re not going to be stuck in this deal for the next decade.

15. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Please just get to the part where you leave football to two cOnFeReNcEs and you leave basketball alone. I concede ever caring about college football again if you just promise not to mess with college hoops.

16. gucci888

I would assume the tournament would go relatively unchanged if that’s what you are worried about.

But the Big 12 should be routing for an ACC implosion. Shoot your shot at the UNC/Duke, make bball your bread and butter.

17. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

I think college hoops goes as the NCAA tournament goes. And the tourney is one of the best American sports traditions (IMO it is the best) going. I can't see it changing in any significant way, regardless of what happens to football.

Try to imagine the SEC or B1G demanding special treatment or breaking off and forming their own basketball post-season. Would be weird.

Jake Tower and MadMax like this.
  18. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Completely agree with you....I'm just sayin'!!! :)

19. Buck Turgidson

20. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I heard John Fanta on a podcast say that the Big East is the bulwark against the Big 10 and SEC forming their own basketball tournament. While he ignores the Big 12 (mainly Kansas and Arizona), he does have a good point; a breakaway tournament that doesn't include basketball-only powers like Villanova, UConn (I know they have a football team, but c'mon), Marquette, etc. would be seen as illegitimate by fans.