1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

USMNT 2023-2026

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by leroy, Feb 6, 2023.

1. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

No qualifying in this cycle but some interesting tournaments. Copa America 2024 to be played in the US and including CONCACF teams. The (completely unnecessary) Nations League, and the Gold Cup to be played. I've seen a rumor that they're going to invite some teams from varying confederations for the Gold Cup to also act as a World Cup warmup of sorts. Not sure if there's anything to that.

Currently without a Sporting Director, General Manager and head coach. Hopefully US Soccer addresses these openings quickly because waiting does no good. Get someone in now and let them start building their staff and putting rosters together. I'd love for the next coach to do a lot less experimenting in this cycle. When you look at the top teams, they don't often play games with 3rd and 4th stringers. They play the games with their guys. I forget what the number is but Antoine Griezmann has played something like 70 straight France games. I believe part of the issues in this past World Cup was that the team did not play together nearly enough and there was no chemistry. The next coach needs to lock in on the core players and they need to play every game (or as many as humanly possible).

I have no preferences for the new coach other than it should be someone with gravitas and it has to be someone outside of the MLS. Jesse Marsch was just let go from Leeds so he'll be a leading candidate. I think he or a Bielsa would be a great fit. Their style of pressing can work in the national team set up better than club because it's not every single day. It doesn't get stale when it's only over 2 weeks at a time every few months. I don't think US Soccer is going to do anything until the summer to see if there are more candidates available once the club seasons end, but they need to not wait much beyond that.

In either case, it's going to be an interesting few years to see where this goes. This next Cup should carry expectations of at least the quarterfinals.

Buck Turgidson and mtbrays like this.
  2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I'll take Jesse Marsch.

DD

3. leroy

Nations League games against Grenanda and El Salvador during this International break. Still no Sporting Director and no full time national team coach for some reason. I've heard that they knew in December that Stewart and McBride would be leaving and had no plan in place to replace them. USSF is a s***show right now.

4. leroy

5. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

USMNT just landed their future 9 for the next couple world cups.

Kid has the most talent we have seen in a striker in a long while.

DaDakota, leroy and noscrusir like this.
  6. leroy

7. Aware

Aware Member

That was pretty dominant.
    A lot to like about the present and future of the usmnt.

This is probably the lowest point for the mexican nt since the 02 loss. Just not a particularly good crop of players, bad coaches, and execs that refuse to do anything about anything. Wild that you can have the most popular league/national team in the states plus your own market in mexico and this is all you have to show for.

8. leroy

They’re not good. They’re currently, at best, 3rd best in this region. That was not a competitive team at all. Reality smacked them in the face tonight because they were dominated in a way that’s never happened before from a CONCACAF team. Yes, we’ve beaten them plenty…but not like this.

Would love to see the @SwoLy-D reaction to this s**t show of a team and a fan base.

9. Aware

Aware Member

yea, this was a great performance from the usmnt
    outside of edson alvarez, a very average bunch for mexico

The fan behaviors is unacceptable and although the ref could have done more to calm things down on the pitch, the beer throwing and the homophobic chant cant continue to happen. the chant has mostly been eradicated in mexico but fans here in the states dont care. not sure what can be done..

10. Buck Turgidson

Ban the NT from playing in the US (outside of WC) for a few years...see what that does.

11. Aware

Aware Member

Mexico brings in too much money for that to be a realistic option in concacaf
    The whole reason why this nation league was created was to squeeze more money out of Mexican fans in the states

Should happen tho

mtbrays likes this.
  12. leroy

It absolutely should happen. Mexico schedules friendlies in the US for just that reason...money. Ban them from doing that for at least 2 years. Only games they can play in the US are officially sanctioned games and tickets should not be available to their fans. I don't know exactly how you manage that in the US...but I'm sure there's something that can be done to limit the # of fans.

13. rhino17

rhino17 Member

14. leroy

I get the players love him and that should have a part in the process. But they have to look at the bigger picture. We're hosting the next WC and this is, in theory, the golden generation. Failing in the Round of 16 is unacceptable. He was so badly outcoached that the only outcome should've been that they move on. To bring him back after that and after the whole Reyna ordeal just feels f***ing lazy and uninspired. Other than from the current players, I haven't seen even one positive response.

15. rhino17

rhino17 Member

My expectations for this team have gone down substantially with this decision

16. DaDakota

If you are Pepsi, Gio, or Zach, how are you feeling right now?

all three should have been in the WC.

Gio should have been starting.

DD

17. astros123

astros123 Member

Greg returning back is so stupid

DaDakota likes this.
  18. DaDakota

BTW - once that news about the former fight broke out and went public, I figured he would be back if that was all their was - they get to avoid any potential lawsuits.....and he was fairly successful even though his selections are poor in some cases.

However, others no so much - REAM for example.....

DD

19. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

if USA looks this good without greg, why bring him back?

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  20. Buck Turgidson

Fun match so far

DreamShook likes this.