1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

USA vs. Argentina (Team USA loses)

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by Dr of Dunk, Sep 4, 2002.

Tags:
  1. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

Proves once again that talented teams beat superior talent.

On the US side, complete lack of inside presence... nobody got it done. Too much one-on 2 or 3 from the perimeter players.

What's sorely missed in this crop of second-tier all-stars is shooting. Aside from Pierce and Miller, we don't have anyone close to some of the better International shooters. This will start another round of debate on the "ESPN highlight effect" and the corresponding lack of fundamentals from the current generation.

It's clear we can't expect to win easily without bringing our very best and having them spend a bit more time together in preparation.

All in all, a bad day for US basketball, a stellar day for world basketball. Congrats Argentina.

#61 rimrocker, Sep 4, 2002
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2002
  2. x34

x34 Member

It doesn't really matter much to say we didn't put in our best players, IMO. The real problem is that while we Americans dominate with our physical play and outstanding individual performances, the rest of the world is teaching and playing fundamental ball.

And unless for some reason the superstars come out en masse for now on, or Americans start playing a more fundamentally sound brand of ball (unlikely), this is merely the first loss, not the last. Our guys were the favorites, but they didn't beat themselves tonight...Argentina came out and took this game. No fear, no hesitation...they deserved to win...

Wakeup call? Let's hope so...

3. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

Why don't you go back to your Spurs bandwagon.

4. wrath_of_khan

wrath_of_khan Contributing Member

It was bound to happen sooner or later, and I was betting on sooner.

I'm just glad it didn't happen while Rudy T was coaching the US team.

5. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Pathetic. Embarrassing. Shameful.

If anyone thinks Argentina will win the gold, or should, they are crazy. But as an American fan, I have to congratulate Argentina. They deserved to win. The U.S. team thought they could dial it in. Sorry, wrong number.:rolleyes:

6. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

I'm glad that they lost. It was so pathetic to hear about their stupid 59-0 record. Finally someone had the nerve to shut their A$$ up and put a fork in them!! I kind of wished it was China, but at least now we know that they're human. Yao must be smiling right now....

7. WinkFan

WinkFan Contributing Member

Well, Duh.

8. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

The GEORGE KARL CURSE lives on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

9. Panda

Panda Member

It doesn't matter how many all stars or ultra eilte players on the Dream Team.

This proves again after the Lakers Vs. Blazers semi finals, that basketball is about heart, chemistry and teamwork. A team much inferior in overall talent can beat a team loaded with talent through their collective efforts. Is the training period too short or the coach sucks? or those players don't care enough?

Too bad China didn't win over the Dream Team this time, but now I think nobody can still say that China doesn't have a chance in the 2008 Olympics, it's going to be fun watching Yao and others challenge a super dream team of players with Kobe or Shaq-like caliber.

10. SFrancis3

SFrancis3 Member

Yes the effort was pathetic. I saw some bad officiating too. Like a foul called on Jermaine O'neal when he was running behind the dribbler and the dribbler stopped and O'neal bumped him as he tried to go around and he gets a foul called on him. Also a charging call when Miller was driving, and the guy didn't have his feet planted. There were some other but those were the two that stuck in my mind. Why don't we have some guys like Garnett, Duncan playing in these games?

11. tacoma park legend

tacoma park legend Contributing Member

Watching a George Karl press conference is painful.......the smug smile, the whole John Lithgow ate Newman look he has going, and his amazing ability to look as insincere as possible in giving respect to the winning team.

12. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

I blame O Canada! :mad:

...not sure why, but it's their fault!

:mad: :mad: :mad:

13. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

So you're saying that it's not a excuse we didn't send our best players over? I seriously doubt a team with Kobe, McGrady, Shaq, Duncan, Kidd, Webber, and Garnett lose. I guarantee they would blow this U.S. team right out of the water. And that isn't and excuse, that's a fact. Well the buck stops here. For all the people laughing at the U.S., all this loss did was GUARANTEE that the elite players will play in the next Olympics.

14. WinkFan

WinkFan Contributing Member

I hope this game was a wake up call to THIS team. Up till now they've just been dicking around saying "Oh, we'll do whatever for three quarters, then Pierce will take over, and we'll win".

Hopefully now they'll pull their heads out.

15. vj23k

vj23k Contributing Member

First reaction: What?:confused:
    Second: Wow! :eek:
    Third: Damn! :mad:

I can't believe it...

I hope that every game for the rest of the tournament is a 30+ point blowout.

16. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

You're damn right that would happen, you Spur homer.

The last time I checked this was a Rockets' fan site, not a Spurs.

So, either deal with it or go to a Spurs board.

17. OverRRated

OverRRated Member

Yes Rocks.........there should be no excuse.
    Ofcourse a team of Kidd, Kobe, Tmac, Duncan/Garnett, and Shaq would blow every team out before the end of the first quarter, but the players out there aren't exactly scrubs.

They played horribly and have been for the most part of these championships.
    Had it not been for a few 3rd and 4th quarters from Paul Pierce, other games would have been closer.

18. ZRB

ZRB Contributing Member

My god Manny, that was a great f***ing post!!!

I'm starting to agree with you more and more often. I'm scared!!!
    :D

19. LiLStevie3

LiLStevie3 Member

This is a huge wakeup call. The current USA team is more than capable enough to beat this Argentina team by a decent margin.

Reasons for the loss:
    1) HORRIBLE, I mean absolutely HORRIBLE defense. How many wide open layups/dunks can you give a team. Backdoor cuts, back picks, you name it...Argentina got open looks at will. The USA has to go back to basics. Keep your head on a swivel. Know where your man is off the ball. Basic stuff. The list goes on as far as defense. The defense against pick and rolls was atrocious as well. They don't know how to communicate whatsoever. Players switch for no reason without talking, leaving two guys on one player, and nobody on the other. Defense against inbounds plays was junior high like. Giving up several layups off inbounds plays is unacceptable. Even the 7th grade boys team that I coach understands that.
    2) No ball movement whatsoever on offense. The USA offense was painful to watch. Just isolation, one on one bs. 4 fast break points in the entire game is all this team managed tonight? Embarrassing.
    3) Missed layups/free throws. I mean are you kidding me? This is a team full of all-star caliber players, and you're missing layups and free throws? Absolutely ridiculous.
    4) Horrendous officiating. I don't think I need to elaborate anymore on this one.

You have to give credit to the Argentina team. They played a tremendous game. The USA team should thank them for this wake-up call, sleep on it, and be ready to take care of business the rest of the week. I know if I were on team USA, I'd be playing with a fire in my belly the rest of the tournament and come back with a vengeance.

Kobe, Tim, Kevin, Tracy, Chris, Gary...I hope you guys were watching. Maybe you guys'll get off your high horse now and come represent your country.

The fact that so many of these guys declined invitations to represent their country is astounding to me. I understand that Shaquille, Jason, Vince, and Ray have health issues. But the other guys, if you guys are healthy, why not come and represent your country while polishing up your game? It should be an honor to play for your country, not a hassle you don't want to take up.

Hopefully for the 2004 olympics and if necessary, the qualifying tournament, we'll see this team out there.

C- O'Neal, Webber
    F- Duncan, Garnett
    F- Mcgrady, Carter, Pierce
    G- Bryant, Allen, Iverson
    G- Kidd, Francis
    Another big man would be an alternative to Iverson.
    Maybe then will we see a return to U.S. dominance in basketball.

#79 LiLStevie3, Sep 4, 2002
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2002
  20. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

Personally, I wouldn't have been excited if China beat up the US unless it was because of Yao showing Shaq-like dominance.

Don't care about the rest of the China team in the slightest(well, maybe Batteer, a little).

But I do agree with BFD.