1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[USA Today] Name free agents find themselves unemployed

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Yaowaming, Dec 8, 2005.

1. Yaowaming

Yaowaming Contributing Member

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/basketball/nba/2005-12-08-unsigned-vets_x.htm

Posted 12/8/2005 12:57 AM

Name free agents find themselves unemployed
    By Roscoe Nance, USA TODAY
    It appears as though five-time All-Star swingman Latrell Sprewell will be home for the holidays shooting hoops and not for an NBA team. Sprewell, who turned down a three-year, $21 million contract extension from the Minnesota Timberwolves last season, is among several prominent veterans who are still unsigned and is in Milwaukee, his hometown, working out and waiting for a team to call.
    "We're sort of waiting to see which teams feel they need to make adjustments in their roster," Bob Gist, Sprewell's agent, says.

Money and teams' needs are the main reasons Sprewell is unsigned. Detroit and Denver were interested in signing him for the full midlevel exception over the summer. However, Sprewell didn't want to be the Pistons' sixth man, and the Nuggets didn't offer him a contract. Houston also contacted Sprewell.

New Orleans and Atlanta are the only teams that still have their full midlevel exception. However, they both need big men more than a perimeter player. Other teams could sign Sprewell for the veteran minimum ($1.1 million) or do a sign-and-trade deal with Minnesota.

Gist says Sprewell isn't interested in playing for the veteran minimum.

Other veteran free agents still available include forward Glenn Robinson, who has averaged 20.7 points for his 11-year career; swingman Ron Mercer, the sixth pick in the 1997 draft; swingman Wesley Person, who is tied for sixth in career three-point field goal percentage (.418); former All-Star forward Tom Gugliotta; and forward/center Christian Laettner, the last active member of the original Dream Team.

"There are a lot of good players still available," Hawks general manager Billy Knight says. "It seems to happen every year. (But) there seems to be more name guys left. It's just the way things played out this year."

Look for several veterans to sign in the next month after teams get a clearer picture of how their offseason moves are working out, and also because all player contracts become guaranteed Jan. 10

Within the last two weeks, the Los Angeles Clippers signed point guard Howard Eisley, the Dallas Mavericks signed swingman Adrian Griffin and the Toronto Raptors signed point guard Darrick Martin.

Gist is optimistic that Sprewell won't be out of work much longer, and he is confident that his client can help a contending team get over the top.

"Houston is a Latrell away from winning the Western Conference," he says. "The same thing for Denver. Detroit is a Spree away from assuring itself another ring. (And) there a lot of teams with 2-10, 4-9 records. A lot of GMs and coaches are rethinking their roster. Time is still on our side."

2. blazer_ben

blazer_ben Rookie

At his age?lol.. were a spree away from a complete implosion.

3. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

with all the guards we have we can't just add someone to the rotation. guys will start to get pissed.

4. xomox

xomox Contributing Member

we'd be better off finding a point and/or a power forward.

5. Yaowaming

Yaowaming Contributing Member

How about Glenn Robinson, Ron Mercer, Tom Gugliotta or Christian Laettner? Would you sign any of these players???

#5 Yaowaming, Dec 8, 2005
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2005
  6. Gatorfan76

Gatorfan76 Contributing Member

Sports agents--you gots to love them! :D

7. solid

solid Contributing Member

"A Spree away from winning the Western Conference!!!!!" :eek: That may be the MOST ABSURD statement of ALL TIME in any venue. More like, "Spree is a few month away from a assisted living facility." If you liked Ron Strickland, you'll love Spree. I can't believe the Rockets actually contacted this guy, that tells you alot about JVG's and CD's judgement in regard to personnel. Besides TMac and maybe Head, and some games, Ming, the talent level here is absymal.

8. blazer_ben

blazer_ben Rookie

Googs is finished. I know Rodney white plays no defense, but i like to see him bein given a shot.

9. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

There is only one person on that list that I would look at. Wesley Person.

If he could come in and give us a Jon Berry like player off of the bench and nail the long shot with consistency then I would love to have him.

10. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

laettner played pretty well for miami last year, and he might work well w/ Yao. he could certainly hit all the open 18 footers that would come his way.

11. blazer_ben

blazer_ben Rookie

Yeah, i mentioned him a while back. probaly the only things that could work against him is, he is a terrible defender. however he still has that deadly jumpshot.i'll be more then happy with person.

12. blazer_ben

blazer_ben Rookie

Lattner is a white Replica of Juwan Howard. both are limited in what they can do. if they can knock that mid-range shot, there renderd useless.

13. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

Why does Sprewell's agent (Gist) mention Houston, when he knows Houston can only offer the veteran minimum? Maybe he thinks eventually Spre will accept it, if no one else comes up with more money.

14. Aloe

Aloe Contributing Member

Glenn Robinson can certainly shoot. Couldn't he give us some decent minutes at small forward?

15. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

dumbass is going to hold out for more many...and end up making NO money when noone takes him. Why would we want that thug? so he can choke Van Gundy when he disagrees with him? No thanks

16. real_egal

real_egal Contributing Member

Wow, I got used to the North America resume style a couple of years ago. when I see words like "excellent, great, extensive, outstanding, unique and blah blah" in others' resumes, I just ignore them. However, "a Latrell away from winning the Western Conference"? That's the absolute new high.

17. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

Amen to that...

18. liu1107

liu1107 Contributing Member

We need a Tall, Physical PG ! sounds like sura-_-

19. superden

superden Contributing Member

buhahhahahahahahahahahahahahaha. okay im done.. wait..no..

buhahhahhahahahhahhahahahahahaha. okay i think im done now.

20. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

^^^Another Clutch Classic Moment in the making??????????????

or is below?

Spree is a significant upgrade to DA, DWes, and I'm sorry but to Luther Head also at the 2 guard spot. He will be better defensively and offensively than the first two and he has tons more experience than Head. I don't care that he's 35. He's got that edge that Van Gundy likes. If nothing else materializes, we should sign him and trade for a PG or hope Alston comes back. Then run a 3 guard rotation with Head getting about 20 minutes.