1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

USA/Canada/Mexico win FIFA World Cup 2026 bid

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Raz, Jun 13, 2018.

1. desihooper

desihooper Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

That 3rd place game is usually quite entertaining; would be a great event for NRG!

2. Aware

Aware Member

Maybe KC being there is bit odd but otherwise as expected

3rd place game is a hell of a get

3. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

No games have been announced. They have not even determined the opener or the final.

I’d put my money on LA for the opener and Azteca for the final. Seattle is a dark horse for the opener as they might want a good raucous crowd to open.

4. MystikArkitect

Finally some sports worth watching at NRG!

Raz and kdchilds like this.
  5. leroy

It's only SoFi Stadium in LA if they can solve the issue of the pitch not being large enough. Pretty sad they built it like that after spending all that money...especially considering the owner of the stadium, Stan Kroenke, owns freaking Arsenal. Did no one bother to check that in the design phase? I mean, you have an EPL team in your pocket and no one thought to ask how much space they need for a proper football pitch?

I've also read that NRG is guaranteed 6 games. That's a lot and that's FREAKING AWESOME. The bid asked for a quarterfinal and the 3rd place game. While I'd prefer a semi to the 3rd place game, it would still be pretty awesome and I'm going to start saving now for all of the tickets I'm going to need.

#85 leroy, Jun 17, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2022
  6. david_rocket

david_rocket Member

I think is going to be flipped, Azteca for the opener, and LA (SoFi Stadium) for the Final.
    Also they already decided that the last rounds (Quarterfinals, Semifinals and Finals) all going to be in the US.

7. Raz

Raz Member

As expected: Spain, Portugal and Morocco land the 2030 World Cup. The first three matches will be played in Uruguay, Paraguay and Argentina to honor the 100th anniversary of the first World Cup 1930 in Montevideo.

8. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

Looks like Arlington beat us for the World Cup Final game.

9. J.R.

J.R. Member

10. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

11. Buck Turgidson

Nice!

12. leroy

I realize it's a product of the larger tournament but hosting 7 games is awesome. Wish we would've gotten a deeper knockout round game but I'll take it. I'd better start saving.

Buck Turgidson and Commodore like this.
  13. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

Dang, I wa hoping to get that 3rd place game. That’s what was rumored.

I wonder how Arlington lost the final to NY.

So what will tickets run for one of these games.

14. Scarface281

Scarface281 Contributing Member

That is a solid number of games for Houston. I bet if we had a stadium like AT&T or MB we'd have gotten another elimination or semifinal game because of the city layout (part of the reason ATL gets a lot). NRG was designed like two years too early. But having one of the two July 4th games is pretty cool

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  15. Raz

Raz Member

After what happened in Kanas City I'm a bit worried about everybody's safety in 2026. The host cities won't have a normal life for at least a month, people from all over the world will come and they won't be quiet. How is this going to work if locals might just shoot you over a minor dispute?

16. Tuckmose

Tuckmose Member

You forget a world cup was hosted in Brazil just a decade ago.

17. Raz

Raz Member

Brazil has a history and understanding of football and football culture. Other than that, to bring order to a third world country for a short amount of time is way easier.