1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

USA/Canada/Mexico win FIFA World Cup 2026 bid

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Raz, Jun 13, 2018.

1. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

goal Pulisic!!

DaDakota likes this.
  2. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

There are enough countries under the visa waiver program that you'll still get a decent amount of travelers that don't have to deal with visas. I would think the big thing is making sure that work permits are granted to all players/staff/country representatives.

3. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Do they have enough hotels to accommodate the travelers?

4. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Well, Mexico City has a population of over 21,000,000 and both Guadalajara and Monterrey are around 5,000,000...so I'm gonna say yes.

5. Aware

Aware Member

yes lol
    Monterrey, Guadalajara and Mexico city are major cities

Monterrey was a host city in 86
    Mexico City and Guadalajara hosted in 70 and 86

6. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

I should have been more specific. I was actually asking about Monterrey since I haven't been there. I didn't realize it was that large.

7. Aware

Aware Member

Probably the wealthiest city in Mexico
    That place has grown a ton in the last 30 years cause of NAFTA

8. J.R.

J.R. Member

#48 J.R., Mar 6, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2022
  9. J.R.

J.R. Member

#49 J.R., Mar 6, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2022
  10. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

@J.R. You might want to spoiler some of those tweets. They are very gruesome from what I've read.

Mexico doesn't deserve a global stage when they allow this widespread violence.

DaDakota likes this.
  11. Aware

Aware Member

worst day for the league that hopefully leads to change. no reports of actual deaths but something like 20 with injuries and 3 in serious condition.

this was never a thing in mexico before the 2000s. this whole "barra bravas" was imported by a former sporting director of pachuca named andres fassi who wanted to bring a south american feeling to their teams stadium. That guy actually brought on these hooligans' from argentina to teach how to organize and how to operate. sadly it caught on and now every club has their own barra brava. these barras bravas took over the much more family oriented "porras" which is what supporter groups were called in mexico.

important to note that unlikely most of south american, teams in mexico have an owner and dont operate as sports clubs so they can shut this whole **** down if they want. the whole reason barras continue to exist is because they have a vote in club say but thats not the case here. will they shut them down? im not certain but i do hope that they do and we can have our own taylor report that changes things for the better.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  12. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Mexico should have cleaned this junk up years ago, they really need to clean up their own country quite a bit....

DD

13. leroy

Holy sh*t.

Shut the league down now. When games do resume, it should be without fans for an undetermined amount of time. Pull all remaining WC qualifiers, CONCACAF Champions league games, any games that involve mexican teams playing teams from other countries out from being played in Mexico.

DaDakota likes this.
  14. Aware

Aware Member

As i understand, there is nothing that fifa or concacaf can do besides put out statements because it was a domestic game. Had this happened in international club competition or qualifiers then yea they could do something about it

So far they've banned travelling "supporter" groups from away matches, banned that one specific stadium from hosting sporting events, and now there are talks about dissolving Queretaro FC

15. leroy

Nope, not enough.

16. DaDakota

Man, Mexico could be such an amazing country but they are just so corrupt, and unstable.

DD

17. MexAmercnMoose

just came back from Mexico....*shrugs, same thing could be said about the US, especially with the political divide and increasing wealth divide LOL.....game on Wed should be great!

18. DaDakota

Yeah, but we don't beat people up and strip them naked because they wear the other team's jersey.

Mexico is a pissant 3rd world country.

DD

19. leroy

True...but a bunch of people aren't going to die during tonight's Heat vs 76ers game.

20. Aware

Aware Member

I think its best not to really comment about this stuff cause both countries are violent countries and certainly we've seen people killed in sporting events here in the states

Just look up anytime when the raiders play the 49ers