1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

USA Basketball Announces 30 Finalists For 2016 U.S. Olympic Men’s Team

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by J.R., Jan 18, 2016.

1. lionaire

lionaire Member

Curry, Kyrie, Paul
    Harden
    KD
    Bron, Melo
    AD

Are all LOCKS

If I had to choose 4 more: Kawhi, Draymond, PG, Boogie

2. gunawanspurs

gunawanspurs Member

Leonard will be a nice defensive player to have, can thrive off the ball & be an outside shooting threat. Low maintenance & high basketball IQ as well, a tough soldier that's ready to go to war with his compatriots in the Olympic.

3. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

you seem right on point.

perhaps switch cousins and howard but that is the only one i would consider switching.

4. mvpcrossxover

mvpcrossxover Member

Too many warriors.

5. Rocket PR

Rocket PR Member

6. Firebomb525

Firebomb525 Member

'08 Team Returnees:
    James
    Howard
    Paul
    Anthony

'12 Team Returnees:
    Durant
    Westbrook
    Iguodala
    Love
    Harden
    Davis

This is all assuming that seniority comes into effect here and guys who've been on the Olympic teams before get considered before 'new bloods'. I think Curry is a guarantee, and I think the final player will be either George or Griffin, depending on if they want another big or a wing. Personally, I'd lean with George.

Potential 2016 Olympic Squad:
    Curry/Paul
    Harden/Westbrook
    Durant/George/Iguodala
    James/Anthony/Love
    Davis/Howard

Howard and Davis provide two athletic defensive beasts. LBJ, CP3 and 'Melo are your veterans who won't have to carry the weight as much. Curry and Durant are your sharpshooters, Harden and Westbrook can control the ball. George, you can sic on whomever to lock them down. Love and Iggy are your 11th and 12th guys, respectively.

7. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Harden should be cut - teach him a lesson about being lazy on defense.

DD

8. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

I go the other way and say I really hope he makes it. I'd rather he be on the team being around great players and coached by Pop for a bit than do jack **** all summer.

9. DreamRun95

DreamRun95 Member

Curry, Paul, Westbrook
    Harden, Butler
    Lebron, Kawhi, George
    Durant, Green
    AD, Cousins

I can't see Howard getting in with the injury history. Carmelo seems to have dropped off in NYC, no one really puts them in contention. Klay might not even get all-star nod. Probably easier being a all-star than making US squad.

10. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Pretty much, there is some kind of correlation of playing better after playing for Team USA.

It likely has to do with being surrounded by so many great players AND great coaching.

NOT only that Harden could make future connections that could be beneficial for the Rockets as an organization. When some of these guys hit FA years down the line it helps to know that they have Harden who they are familiar with, was a teammate with, etc.

11. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

Helpful comment. I guess I just came into this thread to say that anyone that says Harden should make the team is an idiot?

Nah I'm not that rude but I don't see how or why anyone would rather have Harden on the team over Klay (if it comes down to that). Take off those Rockets Red Sunglasses and be honest about who would be a better fit on that team.

Now It'd be nice if Harden made the team but I'd go Klay over Harden personally. I should also add that I detest Klay almost as much as I do Draymond Green. Those two are in the starting 5 of my ALL-NBA hate list.

12. mingthething

mingthething Member

where's the college guy on the list?

13. DreamRun95

DreamRun95 Member

Since alot of them tend to fall over randomly, I guess a few of them go to the school of hard knocks? or is it the school of knockovers?

14. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

Lebron, Paul, Melo are the senior leaders of the team and will be on the team if they want to and are able.

Durant, Curry, Harden, Westbrook have participated and are also seen as the future leaders.

Paul George will get in because of the injury and he's actually a great fit as a FIBA forward.

The other 4 spots are up in the air but I suspect they will select a designated no glory catch and shoot guy and it will likely be Klay Thompson. There is also usually a no glory defense/glue guy and that will likely be Kawai Leonard. That leaves 2 spots for bigs. They'll probably bring Davis back for continuity and versatility. I think the other big spot will go to whichever star big shows the most interest (Griffin/Love/Aldridge/Dwight) even if it may be a better fit for Green or Drummond.

Paul, WB
    Curry, Harden
    Durant, Thompson, Leonard
    lebron, Melo, George
    Davis, Griffin

When matchups permit, I could see USA basketball going super small with Lebron/Melo at the 5 and Durant/George at the 4.

15. dianelo

dianelo Member

Butler should in before Harden. Leonard is a lock as Coach K's favorite. No way Green is getting in as an undersized PF/C. We have LBJ if we play small ball.

16. Blurr#7

Blurr#7 Contributing Member

This, any true Rockets fan is hoping like hell he makes the team. Only a moron with a personal agenda would want otherwise.

17. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

An 8 man rotation of Conley, Beal, Hayward, Barnes, Green, Faried, Iguodala, Gay

would still be killer. I'd tune in to watch that

Paul George should be nowhere NEAR Team USA. Indiana fans gotta be a little nervous

For the heck of it, a "surprise" pick...I say Kevin Love might surprise, maybe not make the team but make it difficult.

18. George Gervin

George Gervin Member

I'm sorry but am I reading your roster correctly? You propose letting the two worst ball hogs in the NBA as primary ball handlers on this team?

19. digitallinh

digitallinh Member

This is easy

Curry, Paul
    Harden, Westbrook
    Durant, Kawhi, PG
    Lebron, Melo
    Davis, Blake, Green

20. J.R.

J.R. Member