1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

US plane downed was a CIA drone

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Dr of Dunk, Sep 22, 2001.

1. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I hadn't seen anyone post this, but when I heard it on the news, I don't think they ever said the plane was unmanned. Anyway, the plane shot down by the Taliban over Afghanistan was apparently a CIA unmanned drone (unconfirmed) :

http://www.cnn.com/2001/WORLD/asiapcf/central/09/22/ret.afghan.plane/

-----------------------------------------------------------
    Sources: Downed drone spied for CIA

September 22, 2001 Posted: 6:57 PM EDT (2257 GMT)

From Jamie McIntyre
    CNN Washington Bureau

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- U.S. government sources indicate to CNN that the unmanned spy plane downed by the Taliban on Saturday was providing intelligence for the U.S. Central Intelligence Agency.

Both the CIA and the Pentagon are refusing any comment.

Afghanistan's ruling Taliban militia claims its forces shot down an unmanned spy plane in Samangan and a helicopter in areas where opposition fighters had launched an attack. The Taliban said the plane contained computerized equipment and the wreckage will be brought to Kandahar.

An official from the opposition Northern Alliance denied reports Saturday that the Taliban had shot down one of its helicopters in northern Afghanistan.

Another source indicated the U.S. military is not operating unmanned aerial vehicles over Afghanistan.

The Taliban ambassador to Pakistan said Taliban forces used captured Soviet anti-aircraft guns to bring down the plane.

Two U.S. unmanned aerial vehicles have been lost over Iraq this year, while on surveillance missions. Iraq claims to have shot down the UAVs in late August and most recently on September 11.

The most common type of UAV or "drone" is the Predator aircraft, which flies at lower altitudes, making it more vulnerable to anti-aircraft attack. The small, $3.2 million pilotless plane normally operates at 10,000 to 15,000 feet and is capable of flying a maximum of 24-30 hours.

2. haven

haven Member

I would never have believed they were even capable of this...

3. treeman

treeman Member

Predators are easy to shoot down. They fly low, slow, and don't evade. We'll probably lose alot of them. No big deal, though - planes can be replaced (especially relatively cheap ones like this). Pilots are harder to replace, which is why we use drones in the first place...

4. New Kid On The Block

treeman -

You seem to know a whole lot about military stuff. Were you ever in it, by any chance?

5. treeman

treeman Member

New Kid - no, but I'm probably going to enlist this week. I've just been studying terrorism and military issues for a while... Always wanted to join up, and I guess this is as good a time as any.

(That should tell you how bright I really am - put it off for years and then decide to do it right when a war starts...:D )

6. HOOP-T

HOOP-T Member

CNN is stating that US officials have no reason to believe the Taliban claims that it was shot down. It certainly seems logical, as they have confirmed they lost communication with the drone.