1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

US Men's National Team at World Cup 2014

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by JonRetro, Jun 15, 2014.

1. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

Fine. It's OBAMA. :mad: F#($*&er.

2. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

3. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

So...question to the American and Mexican football enthusiasts on this thread...whom do you cheer for now?

4. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

For me, not Brazil. Maybe Argentina? I think Brazil gets enough support as is. I wouldn't complain if Costa Rica won either.

5. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Costa Rica & Belgium is who I will follow - not sure about CHEER for...but follow.

And the USA is way better than Mexico - it is not even close any more.

DD

6. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

I think the teams are closer than anyone thinks they are. I love Team USA, and anyone who is friends with me on facebook knows how little I care for the Mexican soccer team. I think both teams are fairly evenly matched. If USA matched up against Mexico in this world cup in no way, shape or form would I be happy about it. I think USA will have some interesting decisions come 2018, but so will Mexico. Some of the youth looked like they had potential, but we will lose a fair bit of the roster due to age. USA still lacks that leader, that go to star that takes control when all seems to be lost. Landon could be seen as that guy, Dempsy at times too, but it wasn't enough. Also, Bradley needs to get out of his funk.

7. Indaface

Indaface Member

Have money on Belgium winning it all so them first and foremost...Colombia and Costa Rica would be cool as well.

From the big boys only two that wouldn't annoy me are Germany and Argentina.

Enough with the Mexico vs. US stuff guys were both out right now. Swoly wont budge and neither will you guys, we're both out so who cares at this point. They played better in the world cup, but who gives a f they ended up out the same spot as us. We played better in the hex but who gives a f we ended up out at the same spot as them. It's cyclical, Mexico might play prettier soccer but results wise it's been fairly similar the past few years so it's pointless to go back and forth.

8. Mr. Space City

brazil, france, or argentina.

9. plcmts17

plcmts17 Member

Want to see a Brasil vs Argentina Final. They send so much talent to Europe year after year, it would be cool to see them battle for the big prize at least once.

10. Rockets12

Rockets12 Member

Continue to lose? Especially when it counts? You mean the 1 world cup game they have played against each other? In other important games Mexico has gone 3-1-4 in World Cup Qualifying matches. Slight edge to US, I will give you that. (If you go further back Mexico basically sweeped, so I will just assume football was not a big sport at the time for US). For the Gold Cup Mexico has won 2 of the 3 matches between the two and who can forget this goal:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/6Roc2lf6Zek" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Also just like Mr. Clutch says, it does not matter who is better. All that counts is who went further in the World Cup, and they lost in the same round.

11. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

It matters, it ALWAYS matters.... gonna go on FIFA rankings now.

:)

DD

12. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

Germany. Then Argentina.

13. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

For me, Colombia. Have close friends who are Colombian and I've thoroughly enjoyed watching them play. Plus, it's time for another new winner.

14. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Hey ATW. What do the player speed stats mean? Is that like a speed gun being pointed at them and measuring max velocity

Look up "how fast is Garethe Bale"

34km/hr doesn't mean anything to mean anything to me

15. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Colombia, France, Belgium

16. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Brazil, Netherlands.
    Yup. I'm a bandwagoner.

17. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I am also ok with Brazil, just do not see anyone play well consistently except that Neymar dude.

18. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Only team I really don't want to win is Brazil, can't stand watching then pkay

19. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Germany ... no question. Now, I root for whom my STH friends are rooting for. Plus, I think we get a day off if they win.

Only other team is Netherlands, because ex-heyschweetie lives in Amsterdam now, and doesn't follow sports, but likes to post pictures of The Oranj. It's fun to watch her cheer for sports. Last time she did that was 1994 and 1995 in Houston.

After that, as a pure sports fan, I'd like to see Messi win.

20. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Fifa will likely put a terrible ref in charge who whistles for Brazil. Home cooking