1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

US media decide to ignor this protest in LA?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by rfila, Apr 21, 2008.

1. rfila

rfila Member

I somewhat understand that AP use searching engine to filter out unwanted messages(regardless they are true or not) on their website. But it is beyong my comprehension that the media decide to have little to no coverage on a protest with thousands of people in an US city like LA.

If the news coverage can be so selective with domestic events, it is hard to expect them to be objective on international affairs.

Well, to be fair, AP did write something after all. What about CNN and other major network? Media are supposed to report what happens, not just what they like to report.

2. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

we get bored easily with to much China/protest/tibet crap.

ratings go downhill then the coverage follows.

3. bucket

bucket Member

http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/04/19/cnn.china/index.html

CNN commentator's comments draw protests

LOS ANGELES, California (CNN) -- About 1,500 pro-Chinese demonstrators gathered outside CNN's bureau in Los Angeles on Saturday, demanding that a commentator apologize and be fired from the network over comments critical of China and the U.S. government's relationship with it.

On April 9, Jack Cafferty, a commentator on CNN's "Situation Room," used the term "goons and thugs" in describing the U.S. relationship with China as host Wolf Blitzer compared today's China to that of 20 or 30 years ago.

Cafferty issued a clarification of his remarks Monday, saying the comments referred to the Chinese government, not its people.

In the comments, Cafferty referenced what he called billions of dollars in U.S. debt and trade deficits with China.

"So I think our relationship with China has certainly changed," he said. "I think they're basically the same bunch of goons and thugs they've been for the last 50 years."

During Saturday's protest, the crowd waved Chinese and American flags, sang songs and chanted "CNN! Liar!"

Los Angeles police said the rally, which ended about noon local time, was peaceful.

A letter taped to a door of the bureau demanded that Cafferty "openly apologize" and be removed from the air permanently, calling the demonstration "only our first step."

"If our demands are not taken seriously, we shall unite more public support to fight against such racial prejudice," said the letter, signed "All the Chinese of the Southwestern U.S."

A second letter slid under the bureau's door criticized CNN's coverage of unrest in Tibet and anti-Chinese protests that have followed the running of the Olympic torch in advance of this summer's games in Beijing.

Demonstrators in Paris, France; London, England; San Francisco, California; and other cities have attended the torch run, protesting China's human rights record and its crackdown on Tibetans publicly calling for democratic freedoms and self-rule.

A much smaller gathering of about two dozen people protested Saturday outside CNN's corporate offices in Atlanta, Georgia.

In his comments, Cafferty said that he doesn't know whether China is different than it was decades ago but that the United States' relationship with China is.

"We're in hock to the Chinese up to our eyeballs because of the war in Iraq, for one thing. They're holding hundreds of billions of dollars worth of our paper.

"We are also running hundreds of billions of dollars worth of trade deficits with them, as we continue to import their junk with the lead paint on them and the poisoned pet food and export, you know, jobs to places where you can pay workers a dollar a month to turn out the stuff that we're buying from Wal-Mart."

In addition to Cafferty's clarification, the network issued a statement saying the commentator was referring to China's government, not its people.

"It was not Mr. Cafferty's, nor CNN's intent to cause offense to the Chinese people, and [CNN] would apologize to anyone who has interpreted the comments in this way," the statement said.

The Chinese Foreign Ministry summoned CNN's Beijing bureau chief on Wednesday and said Thursday that the network has not done enough to ease its concerns over the comments.

4. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

Chinese decide to ignore media coverage of protest in LA

5. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

The Chinese government should be considered goons and thugs because they are kind enough to hoard our worthless paper and thereby finance our debt-laden over-consuming beerbelly-waddling lifestyle :confused:

6. JumpMan

JumpMan Contributing Member
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

^ What he said.

7. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The NBA playoffs are on, we don't care about this crap.

8. rfila

rfila Member

I am sure the rating is not the issue. And my post is not about the "China/protest/tibet crap" either.

I thought you knew better than that. Maybe I should not expect you to understand it.

9. meh

meh Contributing Member

I don't really watch these type of shows, but do they throw these type of words out all the time?

I mean, if allowed to, I'm sure many people in the media would call Dubya's administration worse names than that... And I know the few times I've listened to conservative radio show, that those commentators have no problem using similar derogatory terms.

Is it really that big of a deal?

With the way the Rockets been playing, following the playoffs is getting very depressing.

10. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

OH NO I HAVE DISSAPOINTED YOU!

wait what were we talking about? I changed the channel to Modern MArvels.

11. rfila

rfila Member

Really? I must have missed something. I overslept that morning and did not go so I checked with local TV programs, trying to find something and I could not find anything about the protest. Those are the ones could spend a good hour live coverage on police chasing a stolen car.

12. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

So you're using a wire report by the American-based Associated Press to prove that the American media is ignoring something?

Stop embarrrassing yourself.

13. rfila

rfila Member

I think the playoff after today's game is worse than crap. It is painful for me to watch, so I decided to "make a change".(I actually started to write at the time I gave up on that game, or shall I say the series?)

14. rfila

rfila Member

SamFisher, read what I wrote, You are embarrassing yourself with a reply like this.

I have been here long enough to know what you are. So I am not surprised with your reply, nor do I take it seriously. In fact, I doubt anyone here take what you say seriously. Enjoy!

15. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Thank-you for posting this excellent example of Chinese-Americans using the freedom of speech provided to them in this wonderful country. Had they tried this protest in their homeland i'm afraid to think what would have happened.

16. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Well, Bucket posted CNN's apology, and a google search shows the LATimes reporting it.

Cafferty's an idiot though. If China is a thug, then the US is the drugged up coke addict who can't say no to a good blow.

I'm more disturbed that CNN hired Tony Snow, but I don't watch cable news bull**** to know what regularly goes on. It goes to show that society can have lobotomies without physical drills.

17. wnes

wnes Contributing Member

The consensus is that in media it's OK to be partisan, but not racist. CNN takes exception -- it clearly embraces racism by keeping Cafferty on staff.

18. wnes

wnes Contributing Member

Bad example. Demonstration against CNN is also happening in China and is not outlawed.

Try again.

19. rfila

rfila Member

First of all, Chinese American have the sam right as Africa American and Euro-American(is there such term?) by constitution. Do you think the black should not protest against something insulting black just because they are originally from the land that you think won't allow them to do that?

I do think that no one was arrested in a protest with thousands of people give true the meaning of "peaceful protest", which is rare in this "wonderful" country.

Second,do not be afraid of using your brain to think. I do hope you do not think and talk the way as that Cafferty does. That guy is truelly something. I still do not know how he can say "We continue to import their junk with the lead paint on them and the poisoned pet food and export, you know, jobs to places where you can pay workers a dollar a month to turn out the stuff that we're buying from Wal-Mart." in a "respectable" CNN talk show.

PRC has changed a lot the way they does thing since 1989. No need to look further. Are you afraid to think what would have happened had the Tibetan protest not gone violent?

20. LouisianaRocket

Whenever they are waving Chinese Flags during their protest, doubtfull anyone is going to pay attention. If you want to be heard in America, and claim to be an American, wave an American Flag rather than the Chinese Flag. I know if we were in China, and we waved an American Flag calling for someone to be fired, or some type of change with a group of 2,500-5,000 people.... the government wouldn't take that too lightly.

Want to be considered an American? Start supporting America... rather than Waving a Chinese Flag in our face.