1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

US Jobless Rate Hits 4-Year Low -- Liberals' Jobless Recovery Claims = LIES

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by El_Conquistador, Jul 8, 2005.

1. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Thanks for the necro Sam.

I should've studied finance and bet against subprime.

2. JeopardE

JeopardE Contributing Member

Even the men who were virtually worshipped as economic gods didn't see this coming. Just ask Alan Greenspan. All I did was marvel at the ingenuities of MBSes and CDSes when I was in class. I was never taught that it was all a house of cards that would come crashing down any minute.

There were plenty of market technicians that saw it coming though. I wish I had learned how to be a technician earlier than I did, because I'd be laughing all the way to the bank with them

3. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

I don't think it took a genius to figure out subprime was going to collapse. I mean when stock are trading a 100 p/e it is time to sell. When guys with no income is getting a 500k loan something bad is going to happen. What I didn't understand is the derivatives market and how companies could make such large bets without any regulation.

4. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

I was a broke guy working at a mortgage company. I saw it coming, last fall, but I had no cash to short. Lehman, Countrywide and Wamu were our biggest customers of Alt-A arm loans. I would have shorted all three of them.

I couldn't get my head around stated income loans. Wouldn't you want to verify the income carefully? They had the belief that the market would bail them out if they forclosed on it and auction it.

Prices got too high, so people stopped buying because they couldn't afford the mortgage payments.

5. Invisible Fan

I guess it didn't take a genius to run Fanny and Freddie 06-07. :p

I think there was some attempt at derivatives regulation early on but Greenspan was dead set against it. After the killing the market made, the movement to regulate stopped as many were convinced that this was a new age of finance.

6. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

I didn't really "see it coming", but I knew enought to avoid it. I had friends making money hand over fist on MBSs and REITs, and I stayed out, because I didn't trust their balance sheet numbers or their long-term viability. I have an inherent distrust of anything that seems to make too much money too fast. They say the best capitalists have perfectly balanced emotions of greed and fear. My fear outweighs my greed enough to keep me from enjoying the biggest booms, but it lets me avoid the busts.

7. Invisible Fan

^Yeah, timing is everything. If I was really greedy, I likely would've shorted MBS early 07 and lost my pants.