1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

US Jobless Rate Hits 4-Year Low -- Liberals' Jobless Recovery Claims = LIES

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by El_Conquistador, Jul 8, 2005.

1. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

this Administration . . cook the books?????
    REALLY . . . I would have never thought it

Rocket River
    sarcasm meter broken

2. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Oh really?

3. No Worries

IIRC it was Raygun that changed the definition of unemployed, gratuitously.

4. No Worries

So all of these WSJ economic theorists posit that the change is permanent? They should put their money where their mouth is.

5. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Jorge and texxx, is it your position that president bush's various tax cuts have created these jobs? yes or no?

6. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I don't have a domestic comparison, but that Economist article I provided has termed this the largest (worldwide) bubble in history as residential property values in industrialized countries have rised by 30 trillion over 5 years.

CNN Money recently reported an IMF study claiming that "while stock market collapses are more frequent, housing busts do a lot more damage.

"The output loss associated with the typical housing price bust (about 8 percent of GDP) was twice as large as that associated with a typical equity price bust," the study said."

Both articles go into more detail about the housing boom than the scope of this debate.

The other half has been the homebuyers and speculators who are driving the values higher. BusinessWeek reported last month on the financing craze of the mortgage industry.

" As prices continue to skyrocket in much of the country, banks and lenders are cranking out an ever-growing array of products ranging from no-money-down or interest-only mortgages, to special "Payment Power" loans that allow homeowners to defer monthly payments altogether twice a year.

Such creative financing is letting even marginal buyers purchase houses with price tags that used to appeal only to the rich and famous. In the process, banks and mortgage companies appear to be taking on more risk than ever before -- and if rates rise sharply or prices tumble, many of their customers could find themselves in deep trouble, too. "

"There's plenty of other evidence suggesting that homebuyers and their lenders are climbing out on a limb. According to a survey of homebuyers released last November by the National Association of Realtors, 25% of those polled were able to get a mortgage with no money down, vs. 18% in early 2003 and virtually none in the late 1990s -- a trend that could leave many of these new homeowners under water if home prices take even a small dip.

At the same time, lenders are extending far more loans to borrowers who have had credit problems in the past. According to the Mortgage Bankers Assn., the share of new loans made to so-called subprime borrowers -- usually lower-income individuals with spotty credit histories -- rose to 28% in the second half of 2004, a sharp jump from the less than 5% of all lending that subprime represented back in 1994. "

Yes, anything's a possibility.

I wonder if the boomers fall into the category of signing up for interest-only mortgages, “negative amortisation loans”, option adjustable-rate mortgages, or similar plans that risk on selling the home early for a profit. Old people hate paying for high property taxes anyways.

It could be similar to other housing fizzles in other countries for the past five years.

Perhaps we're better off not knowing.

7. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

exactly my thought. The sucess of a presidents economy will reflect on his next term or the next president.

Regan and the first Bush did well, Clintons first term did well. In the late 90's, it was nothing but obvious that our economy was over inflated and heading to disaster.

8. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

Yeah, so explain why so many books, tv shows, and radio programs from the Right are still talking about the Clintons? Did you sleep through the 90's btw?

9. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

There are certainly elements of the right that are the I hate Clinton group, although the fact that Hillary is still active in politics and is often mentioned as a possible candidate for 2008 is keeping that alive as well. I wasn't too big on politics in '92 or '96 as I was more concerned about Little League and getting my drivers license at those times respectively. :)

Even in BCs first term though, the Right came up with the Contract with America. There has also been a lot of platform talk on the right as far back as I can remember. I don't remember Dole's candidacy being nearly as based on being !Clinton as Kerry's was on being !Bush.

#49 StupidMoniker, Jul 9, 2005
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2005
  10. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

That may have been the portrayal but it wasn't the reality. Kerry published a thick book during this campaign talking about all the plans he had and the way he would implement them. His website also listed Kerry's ideas and what Kerry felt needed to be done.

There was even a thread on this very website that showed the two official websites from the Bush campaign and the Kerry campaign. The Bush campaign had something like 5 stories attacking Kerry and only one on Bush. The Kerry website had almost all stories about Kerry and his plans and one line that was only text that had to do with Bush.

It was fascinating to look at those two web pages side by side like that.

11. Dreamshake

Dreamshake Contributing Member

If you are including yourself in the "adults" portion of speaking in this thread, then you are GRAVELY overestimating your input and mindset.................................................BxxxCH!!!

How idiotic

12. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

So you just pop into this thread to hurl insults, then run? Great addition to the thread. :rolleyes:

If you consider yourself an adult in this conversation, please tell me exactly which points of mine you take issue with. See if you can do it withough cussing and insults. Thanks in advance.

13. Dreamshake

Dreamshake Contributing Member

What kind of absolute dribble is this. I was making fun of you calling yourself an adult while calling someone a b**** in this thread.

You really are delusional.

BTW. Your never a great addition to any thread

14. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

1) I was quoting Dave Chappelle's line, "I'm rich, b****!"
    2) It's spelled you're, not your.

carry on.

15. MartianMan

MartianMan Contributing Member

Spelling corrections? Sad. Anyways, I already blew your logic through the roof. As usual, you are reduced to insulting others and nitpicking inconsequencial points instead of contributing in any way to these debates.

I would just like to say there are plenty of people on this board I disagree with such as Mr. Clutch, glynch, etc. But they keep D&D civil and for that I respect them. Your snide comments merely illustrate your own parochial views as well as your own insecurities about your intelligence.

16. SamFisher

Don't make me use the search function, I know you at least one of you has advocated this in the past.

17. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

Why can't we all just get along...Flaming Liberals, conservatives, etc... ;) yeah, like that's going to happen...

Well, in general I'm happy for the confidence in the market place and we are in a better situation than in 2001, but IMO, we still have a long way to go to sustain consumer confidence...

Btw, the various tax cuts that Bush has done have helped stimilate the economy and thus indirectly created some jobs, IMO...

#57 rrj_gamz, Jul 12, 2005
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2005
  18. SamFisher

LOL - how'd that bet work out for you trader?

19. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

i read the first page before i realised what the hell was going on. thought this was a recent thread.

was so confused.

bush doesnt have much longer until he can lead us back. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

20. Qball

Qball Contributing Member

Come on SamFisher, why the necro? Very childish of doing this.