1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

US execution puts death penalty on trial - Troy Davis case

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by finalsbound, Sep 19, 2011.

1. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Executing somebody is bad enough, but executing them solely on eye witness testimony is just... unconscionable.

#81 DonnyMost, Sep 22, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2011
  2. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

AMEN.

3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I feel bad for the widow of the trooper who was shot over the criminal who may or may not have pulled the trigger.

DD

4. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

i feel bad for her too. but it doesn't help her to execute someone who may not have killed her husband.

i have problems with the death penalty, generally. but even people who don't have problems with the death penalty have problems with its application in this particular case.

5. DaDakota

I can see where some people would have problems, but the guy had multiple appeals, was obviously involved, and his conviction was upheld.

The system is not perfect, but this guy was not an innocent bystander, so for me personally, I am ok with the outcome.

DD

6. greenhippos

greenhippos Member

Exactly why i'm not sure what else someone would want. I served on a murder case last year in Conroe, the knife didn't have fingerprints (it's actually rare to find the weapon with clear prints, something I didn't know) but there were several witnesses. Witnesses gave us the beyond reasonable doubt to find him guilty. He was sentenced to life in prison. There's still an article about him on the Conroe Courier website.

7. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I think CSI etc got alot of folx spoiled

To me . . .a witness recants. . .that should instantly cause doubt
    esp if there are multiple witness recanting

If all you got is witness testimony and then a good number of themm recant
    then . .. it needs to be looked into more

At the end of the day . . it should about JUSTICE not PROCEDURE
    or APPEARENCES . . not in Death Penalty Cases anyway

Rocket River

8. magnetik

magnetik Contributing Member

Anyone named Sam Cassell can do no wrong in my book. :grin:

9. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

I care about the widow of the trooper who was shot more than I do Internet dumbass DaDakota.

10. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

But who cares what you (Internet dumbass Van Gundier/Carl Herrera) care about?

[​IMG]

11. Major Malcontent

Major Malcontent Contributing Member

In other news, in a meaningless "I am tougher on crime than you are!" gesture...we have stopped offering death row inmates a choice of last meal. Because the 30 or so bucks is a slap in the face to taxpayers. Not the 2.3 million it costs per prisoner.

That was the lead story on the local news. Makes people feel good I guess. Boo to John Whitmire who I normally like for this posing and boo to Channel 13 news for covering it.

12. DaDakota

Shouldn't your lame punk ass be talking about bullets in other posters heads?

DD

13. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

There is no way this man should have been executed, but the way some are elevating him to sainthood is absurd.

14. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

Leave it to that jackass from Jasper to ruin it for everybody else.

15. greenhippos

greenhippos Member

They have an article at the chron website talking about that and letting us know famous people's last meals. Zero sympathy for people on death row obviously, but let them have their last meal.

16. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

In the playoffs I shoulda shot Karl Malone and blamed John Stockton, I coulda had ~16,000 witnesses who backed up my story.

1 person likes this.
  17. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

What prison has all the food he requested -- had to be BS -- he didn't get all of that crap.

18. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

Didn't sound like it was anything too exotic.

Chicken fried steak, burgers, fajitas, ice cream, BBQ... we're not talking imported yak filets here.

It sounds to me like they're more pissed off that he didn't eat any of it, not that it was super fancy.

I guess ordering a gigantic last meal and not eating any of it would be a man's final "f you" to society.

19. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

The state produced 34 witnesses against Davis. Among those witnesses were 3 Air Force members who correctly identified Davis as the shooter. I am not sure how someone could be more clearly guilty. What more did you want?

20. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Air Force members don't necessarily make better or worse witnesses. We know that there were 9 eye-witnesses, and of those nine 7 recanted their testimony, one was the person they say really killed the officer, and the last one has made no comment.

That's how someone could be clearly less guilty of a capital offense. What more do you want?