1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

US execution puts death penalty on trial - Troy Davis case

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by finalsbound, Sep 19, 2011.

1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Yeah, I get that.

I can see how people would be terribly upset by the execution, especially if you are against the death penalty.

DD

2. greenhippos

greenhippos Member

3. what

what Member

The law should be changed as regards to death penalties. That unless physical evidence exists, that the maximum sentence would be life in prison. My two cents.

4. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

5. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

What physical evidence would you like to have for this case?

6. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Except if you read what it said, it says Davis had to prove that he is innocent. The problem is there was no real evidence to prove he was guilty. In fact there was so little hard evidence, so it is going to be hard to prove he was innocent. If you look at the testimony it is basically a he said she said case.

7. greenhippos

greenhippos Member

Regardless, I'd bet good money more than half the people protesting earlier today knew less about the case than I do now after reading one article.

8. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

On a side note, Scalia is a real hero. Apparently executing innocent people is constitutional. Which then raises the question of what the hell the appeals process is for.

9. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I am totally against the death penalty.

10. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

There were 9 eye-witnesses. 7 of them later recanted their testimony.

11. finalsbound

finalsbound Contributing Member

the other two - the alleged real killer and someone who has never spoke about the incident.

12. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

exactly. IT's a slap in the face of justice that he was executed.

13. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I agree that he shouldn't have been executed. But I also think its foolish to pretend like he's innocent, or that people recanting after the fact means they must have been lying originally... as opposed to lying now.

Moreover, it seems as if one of the key witnesses (the 16 year old third member) has never recanted the fact that Davis was the one in the white shirt. And, as far as I can tell, the yellow shirt ultimately ended up with Coles' sister. That's not to say that Davis couldn't have stopped by and dropped it off, but that seems strange.

And of course, there's Davis fleeing after the crime.

All that said, it does seem strange that there was never more follow-up on who was wearing what shirt. While white and yellow aren't that different, it seems as if to the witnesses it was a clear difference between white and light and yellow and dark. So one would think there would have been other people that didn't witness the incident but did cross paths with Davis earlier (perhaps at the pool hall?) and could recall if he was wearing a light or a dark shirt. Such accounts wouldn't hold a ton of weight (could have switched shirts, recollections could be wrong, etc.), but you think would be helpful.

The facts with regards to innocent people being sent to jail, put on death row, and executed are clear, though. It happens, and way more than the once in 30 years type thing. Especially with older cases. So clearly, Davis could definitely have been innocent, and sentencing him to death with no physical hard evidence seems ridiculous. I'd be in favor of abolishing the death penalty for all cases past, present and future that don't have hard, irrefutable evidence (which I understand legally would be a hard standard to define).

14. DaDakota

Whether or not he actually pulled the trigger, after reading about the case, I don't have a lot of sympathy for the guy.

DD

15. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Contributing Member

I'm not sure why folks are getting worked up about the death penalty. IMO (and as I've said before), the major problem here was the judicial system that convicted him in the first place (assuming he's innocent, which I don't know).

16. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

My problem with the whole thing is "they say he's innocent"...He isnt..He may not have pulled the trigger, but he was there and participated...Are his supporters saying "He's innocent, let him go free " or just "let him off death row and let him rot"...Someone died , he participated ....End of story!!!

17. finalsbound

finalsbound Contributing Member

Whether he pulled the trigger or not remains to be seen. The point is, there never should have been a death sentence based on eyewitness testimony alone.

He may have been a 20 year old thug who behaved in thuggish ways, but that does NOT mean he killed Officer MacPhail. There is way too much doubt to serve up the ultimate punishment.

18. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Would have been better if he would have went over to a neighbor's yard
    and shot two guys there , , , right?

Rocket River

1 person likes this.
  19. DaDakota

LOL at the Joe Horn reference, I don't feel bad for them either RR, once they made their CHOICE to commit a crime, it was a risk they were obviously willing to take.

Same here, they should have made better choices.

DD

20. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

What other evidence do you want?

If I shoot you in front of 20 people then drive off and get rid of the weapon, what evidence is there exactly?