1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Upgrading the SF/PF rotation - Trade options

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ilias, Nov 20, 2017.

1. b2bizchina

b2bizchina Member

Don't expect Morey can bring an elite PF, Morey's PF: Patterson/Morris/White/Tj/DMO/Dekkle/Harrel/Zhouqi, my god! He didn't understand what the PF is

2. elmotsangtt

elmotsangtt Member

Zach Randolph for PF. Center bogut , Jordan, Marc gasol or any other people who buy out.

3. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

We should have developed a younger Zach Randolph...... instead the rumors went in direction of Anthony Randolph.

4. Beardaholic13

Beardaholic13 Member

i would really really love green on this team...if gasol wants out maybe we can be a third team with memphis and the clips and get both green and DJ.
    Capela ryno and a1st could do it but i can not find any team who would want ryno right now. What a shame honestly.
    Sometimes it feels like hes sabotaging his own trade value from how poor hes playing.

5. fattz

fattz Member

Looking for growth in different ways without giving anything up I like it. Most highly talented yet not always consistent people won’t set quite till given playing time when the team needs them. When healthy where is playing time with coach’s death grip of a rotation => chemistry.

D-rock likes this.
  6. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

The fatal flaw in this thread is conflating PFs with SFs. Totally separate topics.

Ariza/Moute/Green can go to war with any team at the SF position. A guy like Wilson Chandler would be nice but entirely redundant and pointless.

PF, on the other hand..... pretty much any warm body will be an upgrade over Anderson and Tucker. And to think there was a "are you happy that we didn't get Carmelo?" thread. Knee jerking at its finest.

Rocket River, D-rock, topfive and 2 others like this.
  7. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

I think even bigger than that is the fatal flaw of the organization is the conflating of SF’s and PF’s and rejecting the notion that even great small ball teams have a need during the season for 2 big man lineups.

Ryno isn’t a PF. Tucker isn’t a PF. It was a mistake to write off the notion that on paper they perform the same as traditional PF’s or that their offensive output outweighs what they give up in size, defense, and rebounding.

I’m not saying throw out small ball entirely at all. It should still be the strength of our attack, but they certainly have a need for another big to be getting rotation minutes with a reduction of responsibilities of Ryno moved to a bench PF role.

saleem, fattz and napalm06 like this.
  8. Le$$

Le$$ Member

Need a defensive PF , who can rebound. I dont think spacing the ball is important anymore, if the 3's are not going down.

I think Capela + Ariza/Tucker, will be dealt now or before the deadline. Morey not gonna spend that money on capela, say if he gets his due, and then pans out to be 10-10 player on 23 mil a year. Who knows, i mean harden attacks the basket, when capela is getting lobs, i bet any center could get a good 10 points a game alone on that. Jordan already said he come do it for cheap this summer, to be with paul in texas again. I get a good Power forward now, buyout anderson this summer.

But im not Morey, and alot of people will say im stupid. If you lock up capela and Paul on big contracts, paul gets old and regresses, and Clint never gets any better. Harden might get better, but you have a team like memphis in my mind. 5th or 6th seed 1 or 2nd round exits til harden is 34. Just dont like to here it but thats that.

#88 Le$$, Jan 7, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2018
  9. 713Genius

713Genius Member

Tobias Harris

10. James.B.H

James.B.H Member

In this small ball era, a decent 3D SF can serve well for our PF position. Imagine if we replicate Ariza and put him on PF, I think he can do much better than Anderson even though that is not his natural position. The need for a stretch four is overstated, Anderson used to be able to stretch(not any more), but he can never do the four stuffs(rebound, guard bigs, protect the paint, take advantage of smaller defenders). Any wing player who can shoot threes, and is not a liability defensively will be a good replacement for Anderson as our starting four. So if we can get Wilson Chandler, it will be a good upgrade on the PF position.

11. Nook

Nook Member

There is nothing wrong with the Rockets SF situation. The PF situation will improve some when Harden and Moute come back because it will allow us to play Ariza at the 4.

Tucker is good for the role intended when we signed him, a rotation back up 4. This all comes back to Ryan Anderson not performing like an adequate starter. His role is specific to his strengths and the system should be perfect for him but it isn’t working close to adequately.

Anderson IS tradable, it is just debatable whether trades for Biyombo or Deng of Parsons.

The Rockets could attempt to make a deal centered around Anderson for Biyombo (and pieces) but then would have to deal Capela for a power forward taking on very little salary.

The point being, even if a team is motivated to trade with the Rockets, it is very difficult to make a deal and make the Rockets arguably better this season.

The most likely scenario is Anderson stays and continues to get chances.

Deuce likes this.
  12. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Harris got a 16 mill contract, isn't that cheap.

13. napalm06

Whether that's true or not, my point is that sometimes we need a bruiser PF. Someone who can rebound at all. Someone who can handle a pick and roll. There are times when we need an actual powerforward. It doesn't have to be a starter, but you have to have one on the roster.

14. Normalus

Normalus Member

We are not upgrading this year. LeBron is on our mind this summer.

BigggReddd and RyanB like this.
  15. BigggReddd

BigggReddd Member

Positions? It's 2018. Positions don't exist.

D-rock likes this.
  16. napalm06

If we're not allowed to use position names, let me rephrase it simply:

Get un-small forwards.

(also just because the roles of each position have changed doesn't mean positions don't exist. We've been wrecked by multiple teams due to rebounding trouble in the second half of games, and guys who aren't strong enough to box out big men.)

#96 napalm06, Jan 7, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2018
    justtxyank and D-rock like this.
  17. Vindicator

Vindicator Rookie

Trade Ryno along with Ariza for a decent return. It only makes sense.

18. D-rock

D-rock Member

Aaron Gordon, Mario Hezonja and Bismack Biyombo for Ryno, PJ, Troy, Black, Onuaku, rights to Gentile, Llull and first.

Try to keep Capela. But if not then will need another trade for Nerlens Noel.

Harden/Hunter
    Paul/EGo
    Ariza/Green/Hezonja
    AGordon/LMaM
    Noel/Biyombo/Nene

19. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

No chance.

D-rock likes this.
  20. fattz

fattz Member

We don’t need an all star at every position but production at every point of attack both offensive and defensive is a must. It is best if all of our players are not the same thus giving us different looks and strengths for any situation. We need coach to play a lot of different players so coach know what he has in each of them. Play-offs play what is needed not just the norm because it is what we do.

saleem likes this.