1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Updated 5 year outlook

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Snake Diggit, Aug 2, 2019.

1. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

2. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

Screaming Fist likes this.
  3. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Assuming it is, do you think everyone the Astros actually signed won't be busts?

4. Buck Turgidson

No, I assume they will hit and miss at about the same rate as everyone else.

Developing the youngsters is a whole different proposition.

eliefor3 likes this.
  5. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Projected offseason/deadline checklists:

2023 deadline: trade for a catcher (Salvador Perez or Yasmani Grandal look like the obvious candidates)

2023-2024: extend Altuve and extend (or trade) Bregman

2024-2025: extend (or trade) Tucker

2025-2026: sign a ToR SP

2026-2027: extend Pena and other young players

Wulaw Horn likes this.
  6. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

I can’t trade Altuve or a Bregman even if they don’t extend, you are a real and legitimate threat to win the WS in 23 and 24, that’s worth the pain of letting them go for the pittance of draft pick comp.
    I don’t know how many TOR starters you think we need in 25/26 but I’ve got Brown, Javier and Whitley all plugged in there

7. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

I would never trade Altuve. They have to do whatever it takes to keep him. He is by far the most important player in franchise history imho.

Bregman would depend on his value. If he has an MVP caliber season this year and has his eyes on $250M+, then I shop him. The free agent market that offseason will be bare. If he could bring back 2 MLB top 20 prospects plus 1-2 2nd or 3rd tier prospects then it might be worth doing. It would suck to let him walk for a 4th round pick if he can single handedly vault the farm back into the top tier of the league. Plus Houston would have money to go get a viable replacement; sure they’re not going to get someone as good, but if they can replace a 5 win Bregman with a 2-3 win free agent, save $200M and add 2 potential superstar prospects, it might be worth it. The same logic applies to Tucker the following year.

If Whitley pans out into a ToR SP then they wouldn’t need one, but the odds are stacked against that for now.

#487 Snake Diggit, Feb 12, 2023
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2023
    The Beard, Wulaw Horn and crose like this.
  8. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

Bregman seems like a guy that is open to being an Astro for life and that you might be able to keep. I agree with Tucker. Hell- if we can’t extend him now I almost am in favor of a trade right now if you could get a top 10, 25 and 100 guy. If you had any faith in Jake you could move Chas to right and make that happen. Not getting Contreras puts the kibosh on that though I think. You could have moved Tucker and still been 7 deep if you’d have signed him.

Snake Diggit likes this.
  9. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

Contenders very rarely trade away core performing players regardless of contract status.

Winning a World Series is too rare to trade away a 5+ win player for prospects.

The exception would be in 2024-25 off season or 2025 trade deadline IF one of the current OF prospects ( Leon.Gilbert, Melton, Barber) develops into a viable replacement like Tucker was in 2019.

10. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

It would only make sense to trade Bregman if several factors coincided:
    1. Bregman has a monster 2023 and demands $250M+.
    2. Houston feels confident they can replace his production in the aggregate (I.e. they can sign a 2 win 3B and make up the other 3 wins by using Bregmans salary to improve elsewhere, like the bullpen, C, CF, or SP).
    3. Houston can get a monster return for Bregman; something on the order of 2 MLB Top 30 prospects plus another 1-2 fringe Top 100 prospect. That kind of haul is the equivalent of the benefit a team gets for tanking for 2 years. If Houston can get that in exchange for 1 season of 1 player, it’s a smart move (albeit one that would be wildly unpopular with fans).

I consider the likelihood of all 3 of those factors coming together as extremely low, like less than 5%.

The free agent market after this season is very very weak outside of Ohtani and Matt Chapman. Teoscar Hernandez might be the 3rd best position player available (Bader, Kike Hernandez, Amed Rosario, and Ian Happ would also be in that mix). That means any superstars made available for trade will carry an extremely high value.

#490 Snake Diggit, Feb 13, 2023
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2023
  11. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Or.

Astros have injuries in 2024 such that they are out of the postseason picture with either the intent to sign him as a free agent in the offseason or that they think he will be too expensive as a free agent.

The Beard and Snake Diggit like this.
  12. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Sure, but I refuse to entertain that possibility.

13. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Updated post 2023-trade deadline:

2024:
    C: Diaz, Salazar; 2.0 fwar, $1.4M
    IF: Abreu, Altuve, Bregman, Pena, Dubon, Kessinger; 14.6 fwar, $67.3M
    OF: Tucker, Meyers, Alvarez, McCormick, Julks; 16 fwar, $34.6M
    SP: Valdez, Verlander, Javier, Brown, France, Garcia, McCullers; 15.5 fwar, $69.4M
    RP: Pressly, Abreu, Graveman, Montero, others; 3.5 fwar, $42.1M
    Losses: Maldonado, Brantley, Maton, Neris (if he doesn't trigger his option), Stanek
    Prospects ready: Pedro Leon, Shay Whitcomb, Justin Dirden, Forrest Whitley, Spencer Arrighetti, Angel Macuare
    Arbitration class: Tucker, McCormick, Dubon, Valdez, Garcia, Urquidy, Bryan Abreu
    Projections: 50 fwar, $211M
    Summary: 95-105 wins with $10-30M in payroll open. Valdez and Tucker will carry significant arb salaries. For the first time, Houston will enter an offseason with multiple bad contracts on their books (Abreu, McCullers, and Montero will combine for $48M and project for <2fwar). But the holes are minor; the farm should be able to backfill the bullpen departures, and Salazar could be given a shot as the backup C given his high defensive floor and familiarity with the staff. But even if they do nothing, they will still field a roster on par with all the great teams since 2017 so long as the farm fills in the bullpen. It is unquestionable that they should still be contending and if things break right, this could be one of the all-time great rosters.

2025:
    Losses: Altuve, Bregman, Neris, Pressly (if he doesn't trigger his option)
    Prospects ready: Joey Loperfido, Zach Dezenzo, Collin Barber, Kenedy Corona, Zach Daniels, Jordan Brewer, Colton Gordon, Rhett Kouba, Ryan Gusto, Julio Robaina
    Arbitration class: Tucker, Meyers, McCormick, Dubon, Pena, Valdez, Urquidy, Garcia, Abreu
    Projections: 47 fwar, $199M (includes Pressly's $15M and Neris' $8.5M)
    Summary: Losing Altuve and Bregman drops the projection to 90-100 wins, but those 2 also open up some payroll, although most of that will be eaten by projected arb raises. The emergence of Brown/France/Javier and extending Alvarez means this team is still very likely to contend, although unless they spend significant money or have a prospect break out, this team won't quite be on par with previous years. Aside from 2B and 3B, the roster projects to be stacked, but losing both Altuve and Bregman is bound to be felt. I fully expect Altuve to be extended. Zach Dezenzo could solve a big problem if he's able to be a 3 fwar 3B by 2025.

2026:
    Losses: Tucker, Jose Abreu, Valdez, Verlander, Urquidy, Montero, Pressly
    Prospects ready: Jacob Melton, Miguel Palma, Andrew Taylor, Nolan DeVos, Trey Dombroski, Michael Knorr
    Arbitration class: Diaz, Pena, McCormick, Dubon, Meyers, Brown, Garcia, Bryan Abreu
    Projections: 39 fWAR, $131M
    Summary: Here's where things get a little dicey, as it is difficult to confidently project a surefire contending Astros team that does not include Altuve, Bregman, Tucker, or Valdez. Making no moves, the team would project for 85-95 wins with about $90M in available payroll. The rotation would still feature McCullers, Javier, Garcia, France, and Brown, while the stock of arms currently in the upper levels of the farm would indicate the bullpen should be plenty healthy. So whether or not Houston can continue the dynasty would depend on the long-term core of Pena, Alvarez, Diaz, and prospects. They will have money to patch a couple of significant holes, but they will need 1-2 prospect to pan out into above average regulars or better to be as good as they've been since 2017. By this point we will know if any of their underrated high ceiling prospects (Dezenzo, Loperfido, Corona, Barber, Melton) are going to be core pieces that extend the window.

2027:
    Losses: McCormick, Dubon, McCullers, Garcia, Bryan Abreu
    Prospects ready: Brice Matthews, Luis Baez, Cam Fisher, Tyler Whitaker, Alonzo Tredwell, Jose Fleury, Carlos Espinosa, others
    Arbitration class: Diaz, Leon, Pena, Meyers, Brown, France, Whitley, Bielak
    Projections: 37 fWAR, $121M
    Summary: This is far enough out that the roster will likely be at least 50% different than what's currently projected. The farm could produce several stars who keep the window fully open, or the team could require a full rebuild at this point. Still, there should be significant payroll flexibilty, so the 2027 outlook should be very similar to 2026; the team will probably be good (80-90 wins) even without big spending, and a rebuild is unlikely to be necessary, but it remains to be seen if they can get enough via player development, trades, extensions, and free agency to keep these teams on par with 2017-2023.

2028:
    Losses: Pena, Meyers, Javier
    Prospects ready: Kenni Gomez, Camilo Diaz, Chase Jaworsky, Nehomar Ochoa Jr., Anthony Huezo, Eduardo Perez, Esmil Valencia, German Ramirez, Alberto Hernandez, Jake Bloss, many others
    Arbitration class: Diaz, Leon, Barber, Dezenzo, Brown, France, Whitley, others
    Projections: 34 fWAR, $130M
    Summary: The losses on the position player side should be easily absorbed by the farm, as its far enough away to completely turn over the system, and I am fairly optimistic in the farm's ability to replace Javier; they'd still project for 80-90 wins with similar payroll flexibility.

14. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

I don't expect us to be a playoff team past 2025. That would be 11 years from when we started contending. A better run than any team not spending Dodger/Yankee money could ever expect. Maybe we strike gold and get another elite pitcher and infielder to extend our window but that would be striking gold twice. Even if we were lucky enough to get another Altuve, Framber and Alvarez from nowhere, we still wouldn't be in the position to get another Bregman, Tucker, Correa because we haven't sucked in a long long time.

15. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

The team looks stacked for 2024.

2025 is going to be interesting. The Verlander trade may mean that the team can't sign both Altuve and Bregman to extensions (I previously fully expected both to happen). Therefore, while it's easier to find a good 2B than 3B, I expect Altuve to be extended due to his affordability (compared to Alex) and historical significance. The wildcard would be if JV does not pitch 140 innings in 2024, which would open up another $17.5M.

By 2026 Dana Brown will have earned (or not) his money, as such a large part of core will need extended or replaced and there looks to be so few impact players currently in the system.

mightybosstone likes this.
  16. HeyBudLetsParty

I wouldn’t put it past the Astros to constantly be in some sort of contending window. It seems as tough they are miles ahead of most teams in player development and not handing out contracts that may handicap them down the line. Dana is gonna prioritize rebuilding the farm the next few seasons with high upside talent, and they’ll hopefully keep developing the Chas/France type prospects. To me the Astros have proven themselves to be a Steelers/Warriors like winning culture from ownership level down, they’ve earned a lot of trust from the fans.

17. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

I could see a 1-2 year window in 2026-7 where the Astros are down after losing JV, Framber, Pressly, both Abreu's, Altuve, Bregman, and Tucker before the prospects Brown brings in mature into above average regulars.

rockbox likes this.
  18. toby

toby Member

By 2025, 17.5 isn’t gonna buy much.

19. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Thanks for doing these posts @Snake Diggit They're super helpful and interesting to read.

20. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

But it could be the difference between being able to extend Bregman or not.

Adding $25-30M when $35M below the CBT is cheaper than when $17.5M below it