1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

(UPDATE: Rockets change stance) Rockets block ClutchFans from training camp

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Oct 3, 2005.

1. kwik_e_mart

kwik_e_mart Member

We got denied because we loved the Rockets too much?! Now this sucked big time! :mad:

2. Blatz

Blatz Contributing Member

jonathan.feigen@chron.com

I can't find Berman's email but you can try the phone number in my post above.

#102 Blatz, Oct 3, 2005
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2005
  3. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

You know the main reason this sucks? Because Clutch's coverage is so unique.

It isn't like a news website. It is like the inside view of the fan. Clutch writes about who is joking with who and who got posterized on a dunk by T-Mac. He gives observations that help the average fan connect with players and coaches.

All we see through traditional media is the standard stuff. All we hear are the standard quotes. That's fine, but it is cool to actually see into the day-to-day routines of the players and hear about the funny and not-so-funny stuff that happens.

That is the stuff we don't get to see because no one reports it. That is the thing we lose when Clutch isn't able to report it for us.

4. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

the funny thing is the old adage all publicity is good publicity is being missed by the rockets. Any way you can market yourself should be appreciated, but that's just me and my whole logical thinking thing.

5. twhy77

twhy77 Contributing Member

Is this even legal should be the first question....

Are we considered press?

What freedoms do we gain from that?

Why is some 2-bit internet guy allowed in as press and we are not.

Someone (max) should get litigious on their butts.

6. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Jeff, do you mind if I use your excellent summation earlier in the thread about why this is so unfair, with attribution, of course, in contacting all the possible media outlets, as well as the Rockets front office? I would say how stupid this is, in a respectful way, and then give your post (as being from Jeff Balke of SaveOurRockets.com), as the reasons why. And why I'm not going to come down for 2 or 3 games this season, as I'd planned to do, from Austin.

Is that OK? I can't believe they are doing this.

7. Bad"r"

Bad"r" Member

I am up for this!!! Picket Media Day!!

8. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

You're exactly right. There is too much true insider information available here along with the true view of the members of the Rockets organization real interraction with each other.

Really, you guys are too good. That's the problem. And information is disseminated too well on this site. Clear down to how they run their plays.

I really think the Rockets organization is either: 1) fearful of the power that this website has; 2) being politically motivated by certain persons who do not like the success of this website; or 3) some combination of the above.

You can mark my company down as one that will not be purchasing a 4-pack this year. As far as I'm concerned, we won't even purchase any single game tickets and I will encourage all of the employees not to go to games because of this idiocy. We may just give that money away as bonus money and settle for some other form of entertainment.

I'll still watch on TV, I can't help it. I'm a fan of TMac, Yao, and the team on the floor itself. But the organization is hurting itself by dissing the best fan website, not only in Houston, but in the whole NBA. No other fan website can touch this one. Not a well thought out decision by whomever made it.

9. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

Exactly. Face it, no wants to read whatever standard rhetoric the Rockets or the traditional media puts out. It will just be the same "Stromile excited about joining Rockets," "Yao ready to take next step," and "Vin Baker ready to resurrect career" garbage that everyone falls asleep reading.

Only Clutch can tell us just how slow Yao really is or if Stromile can make it through an interview by putting together one coherent sentence. That's what the fans want and only Clutch can give us that.

10. jopatmc

Clutch,

Would the obvious next step be to no longer cooperate with them on posting stories, etc.?

11. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

You need to let the organization know of this. Enough people who threaten to hold back from buying business tickets will get their attention. For those who are sending emails, let them know your boycott intention.

12. jopatmc

Bumper Stickers and T-shirts please

No Clutch
    No Rockets

No Clutch
    No Tickets

13. rockets95

rockets95 Contributing Member

Ok. I am a lurker on this board, and never post here, but this one really upsets me. I have checked this site since 96 for anything and everything Rockets daily, and is by far the best 'unofficial' sports webside out there. I can't believe that the Rockets would stoop to this level. I believe this to be a traveshamockery.

14. Furious Jam

Furious Jam Contributing Member

Freedom of speech frees ClutchFans to publish almost anything it wants, but it does not give free access.

15. sino

sino Contributing Member

It is a horrible marketing decision.

It's that simple: though it might compete with rockets.com for traffic, Clutchsfans.com is doing the same job or a better job helping Rockets organization to make $$$.

Both of them are trying to attracting fans from the world and building a loyal fan base, who are the ones paying the tickets, buying the apparels and justifying the advertsing values of the Rockets brand.

It just does not make sense unless the decision maker weighs the success of rockets.com site over the whole Rockets business.

16. GladiatoRowdy

GladiatoRowdy Contributing Member

My letter...

I am a longtime Houston Rockets fan (since ’84) who also happens to be a member of the fan site clutchfans.net. I am dismayed by your decision to bar our site from Media Day and Training Camp and have decided that unless we are granted the same access afforded to other media outlets, I will choose to avoid your website whenever possible.

The information that I received indicated that this decision was made as a result of the belief that Clutchfans somehow competes with Rockets.com, which could not be further from the truth. We are a complement to the official Rockets site that allows the most die-hard Rockets fans to communicate with each other regarding their favorite team. There is no forum functionality on Rockets.com, so Clutchfans complements Rockets.com by allowing fans to debate, compliment, and vent with other fans.

The other thing that Clutchfans gives us is a fan perspective on Rockets news. Since every other media outlet gives a different perspective on various events, that would make this part of the Clutchfans site analogous to news printed by Jonathan Feigan in the Chronicle or reported by Chris Berman on Fox. There is no true competition here except between other media outlets and Clutchfans and as such, no valid reason to bar Clutchfans members from events that other media outlets enjoy access to.

The most bitter pill to swallow, however, is the fact that the Rockets organization has chosen to turn its back on a dedicated, vibrant community that was instrumental (according to the Rockets organization) in getting the Toyota Center approved and built. Saveourrockets.com was formed and run by a Clutchfans member and was a big part of the effort that led to the successful approval of the arena. After this, it is difficult to imagine a valid reason for barring Clutchfans reporters from training camp.

I will be more than happy to vote on your decision with my wallet and eyeballs. I don’t like being snubbed and I feel as if I have been, if only by extension through my participation in the Clutchfans community. I will choose not to visit your website, not to purchase your merchandise, and not to attend games if there is not an effort made to repair the relationship between the Rockets organization and Clutchfans. I will still watch every game, but I can get nearly as much enjoyment from Bill Worrell and Gene Peterson as I can in the TC.

Kind regards,
    Andy Moon

17. rhester

rhester Contributing Member

Big Props to Randy McIlvoy!!!

Here is the email reply I just received from him-

"I'll check into it today. Thanks for the heads up. I'm not sure of their media policy.

Randy Mc

KPRC-TV"

Keep the emailing up Clutchfans!

18. Lynus302

Lynus302 Contributing Member

Its been said a thousand times in this thread, but I'm gonna say it again: THIS F*CKING SUCKS. What arrogant, narcissistic ******* made this decision?

Die-Hard Fans + Free Press = Bad Idea ????

wtf.

I hope whomever made such an idiotic decision realizes what a stupid mistake this was before he realizes the full power of this site.

To the Rockets brass: shut up and hoop. If you want a better site than the awful one you've had up there for years, then go ahead and build one.

:mad: :mad: :mad:

19. solid

solid Contributing Member

This is a form of public relations r****dation. I knew that some members of the Rockets Organization (not the team) were not the brightest bulbs in the box, but this drops "dumb" to the lowest conceivable level. This decision should be reversed immediately to prevent further embarassment.

New committment, This is the ONLY web site I will visit for Rocket's information.

20. mogrod

mogrod Contributing Member

This is just sad. They having eager customers wanting to know and be excited about anything to do with the team, and they decide to turn them away.

If the Rockets were smart, they would make this THE official website for the Rockets. Hell, even make it "rockets.com". It would far exceed anything any other organization has available.